Replacing a Gen 1 Computer (idle related)

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok this damn random idle is about to make me go postal!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've done so much research I think I have the threads memorized. I saw where a few people said swapping out their computers eliminated their idle probs. Will a Mopar performance computer work on a Gen 1? Does anyone have a stock Gen 1 computer (or any type that will work) that I can borrow and see if it cures my problem before I buy one that I dont need? I tried the plug w/a small hole in the IAC hose trick, but that didnt work. I've resynched my t-body cables, no luck. Reset computer, no luck. Cleaned IAC valve, no luck. I even added a shutoff valve in the IAC hose so I can control how much air is getting to the IAC motor, no luck. It still has the erratic idle which sounds like I'm revving up at everyone at every redlight I stop at. I'm about to leave for FL on Thursday and I'm really dreading taking the car because its such a PITA and embarrasing when it happens. I never thought I'd be embarrased to drive a Viper, but this has done it! Someone pleaseeeeee help me find a cure for this.

Mark Hahn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chad, I'm not an expert but I don't think that a '96 RT/10 has a plain jane Gen 1 computer. I believe it is almost a Gen 2 due to the addition of OBDII in '96. Maybe someone more knowledgable will pipe in with part #'s. I am interested to find this out also as I have a '96 RT. MGH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi