Replacing brakes on Gen 2 RT

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guy's, I am thinking about changing the factor brake pads on my Gen2 RT Viper. The factor brake pads make so much noise when braking at slow speeds. They also produce a lot of brake dust on the rims. The car only has 8700 miles. I plan on replacing them with the EBC greens brake pads which produce less brake dust and do not produce any noise. This is where I plan to purchase them from http://www.discountbrakes.com/shop/?N=0&uts=true&Ntt=ebc+brakes&dbcid=msnppc&query=ebc+brakes Has anyone purchased brakes from this organization? Before I purchase them I plan on bedding the factor brakes this weekend. If that fails then I will go ahead and purchase them and have the Dodge dealership install them. The dealership gave me a price of $300.00 to install them. Seems rather high to me. What do you guys think?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are easily installed yourself right in the driveway. Do yourself a favor, contact JonB (partsrack) the green's are NOT the pads you want. I just went through this. (composition has changed) Also you can eliminate most if not all the noise without new pads. There is a product you apply to the backs of the pads, and you can also chamfer the faces of the pads on a grinder, and this will help. After re-installin the pads "re-bed" them correctly and ****! noise is gone.

Good luck!

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup contact jonB and do the job yourself....its super easy.....I went with EBC reds and dust has been greatly reduced and not squeaking...there are also other great pad options

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had Two sets of reds on my car, have to say I'm finding they don't last long :D You do still get dust but i guess maybe not quite as much!

All depends how hard you use em :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only EBCs I would use is greens and only on a street car. Although if the composition has changed like Steve says then I'd like to know what the result is. More dust? More noise?

GreatBrakes, Mike (99 RT/10), JonB all good choices for purchasing from.

OP
OP
C

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are easily installed yourself right in the driveway. Do yourself a favor, contact JonB (partsrack) the green's are NOT the pads you want. I just went through this. (composition has changed) Also you can eliminate most if not all the noise without new pads. There is a product you apply to the backs of the pads, and you can also chamfer the faces of the pads on a grinder, and this will help. After re-installin the pads "re-bed" them correctly and ****! noise is gone.

Good luck!

Thanks Mopar Steve What brake pads would you suggest. The factory pads are not cutting it.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Mopar Steve What brake pads would you suggest. The factory pads are not cutting it.

The red's used to be the low dust pads, but now since the composition change, the greens are the pads to use for your application. Be sure to read the directions and follow them closely for bedding the pads correctly, and be sure to have a non-directional finish on your rotors before changing pads.

Dan Aseere

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I put on the EBC greens on my 94 RT/10 and I do get less brake dust but have given up brake performance. Will not put them on my GTS.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The red's used to be the low dust pads, but now since the composition change, the greens are the pads to use for your application..

Has it changed again ? The threads used to be about how EBC greens used to be the pad of choice for low dust, and then it became the EBC reds were the ones recommended for low dust, and no longer the greens. However, its been a while since this was discussed.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has it changed again ? The threads used to be about how EBC greens used to be the pad of choice for low dust, and then it became the EBC reds were the ones recommended for low dust, and no longer the greens. However, its been a while since this was discussed.

what he said.....

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep! My bad. I am officially old and getting forgetful. I got it backwards, sorry. Don't be afraid to call me out specifically when I screw up. (I do it often)

The part I did get right is to contact JonB and he'll get it right.

I wrench better than I type. I'm going back in the garage.

opnwide

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much pad is left on your factory BREMBO pads (they should say BREMBO on the backing plate). I'll trade you even steven for my almost new EBC greens. No dust, but car stops like crap compared to the brakeman 3s I race on.
PM me if interested.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: One notion guys..I would use this tool below..I have been doing brakes for years.

I own vehicle with Alcons and BREMBO with six and four piston calibers..The beat way to change pads is with this
"Piston Spreader" best ever..http://www.zeckhausen.com/Tools/caliper_piston_spreader.htm

Pricey, but cool tool ! Must resist, must resist. I've never tried any specialty tool do that task. A quick search shows some in the $30-$40 range. I think that I need to go ask a question on the tools forum.

jk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters..... CHAMBERS does not say the year, just Gen II.

92-00 does not really need a special tool.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use a special tool to do the brakes on my '98. You have to hold it at approximately a 78 degree angle, push a few buttons and then say..."Hello, is Chuck there???"

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

OP
OP
C

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I put them on 3 days ago and all seems well for now. The mechnic told me to go easy on them for about two days. I have only driven it for 10 miles since putting the EBC Greens on. I notice that they do not make any noise and I do not see any brake dust on the rims. It is still early and I need to do a lot more driving.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang