Results, 14.7 lb. Odyssey Battery, Tested

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had this ultra powerfull and very light weight battery in the Viper for two months now. Left one map light on all night, no problem, left car sit for five days, started up no problem, did five consecutive starts in a row, no problem, The car does not spin over as fast as the 41 lb. does but certainly fast enough. I think the cable runing to the front of the car is very light. With the big battery, the loss is not noticible. Killing the engine when it's very hot, It did give that almost not wanting to start sound. I had been idling for about ten minuets, by the way I have a 25% reduction pulley on the car. It does start to lose it's surface charge after about five minuets of idling with the front fan runing continuosly. All things considered, I love this setup. 26.3 lb. weight savings is great, even thou it in the rear of the car. I just have to watch leaving the lights on, Hey that will be my next test, of just how long I can leave the lighs on. I am using a digital volt meter in the cig. lighter. Here's on more thing that is amazing, I have the Sean Roe after cooling system on the car, and it comes on allmost every time, after I kill it, and runs the oversize fan that all 02's have on them for atleast 4-5 minuets. So fear not using this battery, especially with older Vipers, smaller fan motor, no Roe cooling system, no underdrive pulley. I'd say Ive put this thru the ultimate test. BTW the battery is the one they make for the newer Harley's. Cost is around $130.00 and has a two year 100% warrenty.

Skip White

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Results, 14.7 lb. Odyssey Battery, Tested

I realize this is a very old thread, but it's the only one I found speaking directly to results using one of the lighter Odyssey batteries. The specific part number is not referenced. Given the weight listed in the post, I'm assuming it is the PC925 that I'm eyeballing for my '02 GTS.

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/products/productdetail/part_number=0765-2024C0N0/7457.0.1.1

Anyone with personal experience mounting and using this lighter Odyssey battery? They have a direct fit battery for the Viper, 78PC1500, but 26lbs is much more attractive than ~50lbs. However, <25lbs isn't worth starting issues and risking being stranded.

http://shop.odysseybattery.com/products/productdetail/part_number=0785-2040A0N0/7457.0.1.1

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had a lightweight 20lb Deka battery (EXT30L I think) on my Gen III for a year now. Same as Braille, but way cheaper price. Its not a direct fit, and I had to get custom mounting bracket and terminal adapters to make it fit.

No perceived driveability issues. Since installation, i have done multiple dynoes, long trips, 1/4 track, road course, and long idling. I have had the car sleep outside and start fine on a cold Texas winter (mid 30s).

When at home, its always on the better tender. As side note, my Mopar OEM battery was 42lbs, and the deka with brackets and adapters came in at 22lbs; for a net 20lb loss.

WDW MKR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the info. The EXT30L looks comparable in specs to the PC925. The terminals on the Odyssey appear to be easier to adapt, but I'm going to have to get some measurements in the car.