RESULTS - WANTED VS RANGER - VIPER VS C6Z06 (PICS)

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats to RANGER on the WIN for index times which we were racing for. :2tu:
I have never raced a BETTER DRIVER with more CLASS then RANGER! Look up the word
MACHINE in the dictionary and you will see his picture, the guy is a AWESOME DRIVER. :2tu:

NOTE - RULES STATED AND AGREED UPON FOR ARE RACE WAS THE OPTION OF RUNNING DR'S.
WHEN INDEX TIMES WERE POSTED WE WERE BOTH ON STOCK TIRES. RANGER RAN WITH DR'S, I
RAN ON MY STOCK PILOTS. I THOUGHT THIS SHOULD BE NOTED.

THE HEADS UP RACE WAS A TIE. RANGER RED LIGHTED 1ST RACE - I RED LIGHTED 2ND RACE.
Goes to show lots of pressure when doing the real deal.

We had a great time as the Vette and Vipers guys both showed alot of class racing
each other.

INDEX TIMES WE WERE RACING FOR:

RANGER 11.31 WANTED 11.55

RANGER RAN 11.20 & 11.31 = AVERAGE 11.26 (.05 OF INDEX TIME - AWESOME) WINNER :2tu:

WANTED RAN 12.03 & 11.76 = AVERAGE 11.89 (.34 OF INDEX TIME )

RACE # 1 WANTED - WINNER :2tu:

6041WANTED_RANGER_2-med.jpg

6041WANTED_RANGER_3-med.jpg

6041WANTED_RANGER_4-med.jpg

TIME SLIP RACE RACE 1 *** CHECK OUT MY REACTION TIME :headbang: ***

RANGER CAR # 5017 WANTED CAR # 555

6041WANTED_RANGER_TS_RACE1-med.jpg

RACE # 2 RANGER - WINNER :(

6041WANTED_RANGER_5-med.jpg

6041WANTED_RANGER_7-med.jpg

TIME SLIP RACE 2 *** RANGER NAILS INDEX OF 11.31 WITH A RUN OF 11.31 :headbang: ***

6041WANTED_RANGER_TS_RACE_2-med.jpg

GREAT TIME - GREAT RACING - CANT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN :headbang:

TOM

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
congrats to both of you those are some great times, nice to see fun can be had in a competitive fashion and class can still be displayed despite winning or loosing

btw one hell of a reaction time

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do not understand the index time when the change to DR is taken into account. If Rangers car is capable of 1.31 with stock tires why did he go to drag radials?

What were his times on stock tires?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, great racing on both sides. It just goes to show you that in the end we are all just car guys. Two groups of fanatics having a great time with lots of competition and respect for each others rides. It simply doesn't get any better than that, no whinning, excuses or B.S.

Rivalry's aside, the best aspect of all this is, the technical information shared by the two of these guys. I look forward to more information from BOTH of you guys! :2tu:

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What a delight it was to observe these two racers/gentlemen go at it. I think a worthy note to mention is that “Ranger’s” name comes from being an Ex-Army Ranger and he is “all he can be” He received the respect and admiration from the men and children around him. And Tom what can I say; Great Guy, Great family, Great smile :D and great fun to be around. Awesome job both of you and look forward to seeing the rematch. (hint hint) ;) :2tu:

Tom on your left and Ranger on the right
10215Tom_Ranger-med.jpg

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those Index times or dial in times. Normally index times would be 10.00, 10.50, 11.00,11.50 etc. etc.

Congrats on your win.....you were nine cars behind the Vette ;)

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those Index times or dial in times. Normally index times would be 10.00, 10.50, 11.00,11.50 etc. etc.

I would guess that to be a definition of a red light ? :smirk:

Inferno

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well Wanted, you got smoked. The fact that he decided to run DR's kind of taints his victory though.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well Wanted, you got smoked. The fact that he decided to run DR's kind of taints his victory though.
But he agreed to the terms, so that makes it fair... can't cry about it now. There's always next time! :2tu:

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the red light was one car....the other 7/10's was from ET. Nice react though !!!

Why do you think your et's/sixtys were not as expected ?

p.s. The sixty's on the timeslips were not bad considering pro tree and competition runs.

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually the red light was one car....the other 7/10's was from ET. Nice react though !!!

Why do you think your et's/sixtys were not as expected ?

p.s. The sixty's on the timeslips were not bad considering pro tree and competition runs.

Basically I just sucked yesterday. :confused: My times were all over the place.

My best run of the day was - 11.66 w/ 1.768 60' / 4.92 330'
My worst run of the day was - 12.464 w/2.213 60'(my race w/viperjohn) figures,lol

other times were
12.342 w/2,232 60'
11.958 w/1.803 60'
11.793 w/1.715 60'
11.798 w/1.770 60'
11.937 w/1.794 60'
11.935 w/1.833 60'

I am extremely dissapointed in my times being so inconsistant. I can only hope
to do better next time. I feel I'm better then what I showed. It was after
my third run that I started losing traction out of the hole, thats when I started
changing my launch. From that point on it was all downhill. I did start improving my
times at the end but it was to late. All and all I had a fun day of racing
but wished I had brought my A game, instead my times speak for my performance.

THATS RACING, LOL

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What mods are on the Z06 to be running low 11s on DRs? I think I missed the original thread.

Nothing, the Z06 is bone stock to the paper filter.

Wanted has smooth tubes (not that adds a whole lot)

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Tom's defense, even the pros were having problems getting their cars to hook up. The weather kept changing through out the day causing track conditions to be inconsistent. There were a number of cars that ended up scrapping the walls yesterday. One even hit so hard it broke one of the jersey walls and pushed the one next to it about a foot away.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also wanted to note that Ranger is a great guy and he definitly takes his drag racing serious. He has very detailed spread sheets documenting all his runs. He can definitely extract every last ounce of performance out of a car.

And the new Z06 is definitely one strong car! And if you listen very carefully, you can hear Dodge dropping the ball. Hopefully they will correct this mistake and return things back to normal.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Basically I just sucked yesterday. :confused: My times were all over the place.

My best run of the day was - 11.66 w/ 1.768 60' / 4.92 330'
My worst run of the day was - 12.464 w/2.213 60'(my race w/viperjohn) figures,lol

other times were
12.342 w/2,232 60'
11.958 w/1.803 60'
11.793 w/1.715 60'
11.798 w/1.770 60'
11.937 w/1.794 60'
11.935 w/1.833 60'

Those sixty's were not bad especially looking at the Vette sixty's WITH drag radials.

Are those Vettes coming back to Atlanta this year ??? We pretty much sent them packing with heads down last time :D (joking...they are good guys...but we did lay the smack down :eek: )

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man 1.84 with DR's that's bad. I don't care how bad the track was that *****. I'm pissed with a 1.71 with pilots.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you guys whipped so bad they are not coming down to Georgia this year.

While we didn't fare too well in the 11.50 class, A 2002 Yellow GTS won the 12.50 class. There were no Vipers competing in the other two classes, so we did manage split class wins with the Vettes.

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 500+ passes in C5Z06s and routinely cut 1.6x 60' on DRs.

The Stock C6Z06 has a factory-set Engine Control Unit (ECU) with a feature called Torque Management (TM) that pull power (timing) on a strong launch and returns the power in increments. The purpose of TM is NOT to help launch better. It's to protect the drive train from the shock of launch and strong shift and save warranty dollars for the manufacturer.

Some owners tune out TM. I have not, as my car is stock.

I have been experimenting with various launch rpm trying to find the optimal setting for producing the lowest 330'. That means I am trying to reduce to a minimum the TM toll I must pay on launch.

So I agree that my 60' times are not optimal. But the 330' times are improving by lowering the launch rpm, not raising it. Raising the launch rpm produces a better 60' but slower 330' because of TM. To demostrate this point...Saturday on DRs, I fired off pairs of runs at three different launch rpm:

3800: 11.48 11.49
3600: 11.32 11.28
3300: 11.20 11.31; on the 11.31 pass I inadvertently short-shifted the 1-2 by 300 rpms and lost nearly a tenth.

As the launch rpm is raised, the tires are not spinning differently; the ECU is applying a higher TM toll.

And so the learning continues.

Simplest thing to do is to tune out TM and run 10s now. But that would be too easy. I'd rather figure out a technique for doing it bone-stock, if possible.

Ranger

OP
OP
W

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Stock C6Z06 has a factory-set Engine Control Unit (ECU) with a feature called Torque Management (TM) that pull power (timing) on a strong launch and returns the power in increments. The purpose of TM is NOT to help launch better. It's to protect the drive train from the shock of launch and strong shift and save warranty dollars for the manufacturer.

I have been experimenting with various launch rpm trying to find the optimal setting for producing the lowest 330'. That means I am trying to reduce to a minimum the TM toll I must pay on launch.

So I agree that my 60' times are not optimal. But the 330' times are improving by lowering the launch rpm, not raising it. Raising the launch rpm produces a better 60' but slower 330' because of TM. To demostrate this point...Saturday on DRs, I fired off pairs of runs at three different launch rpm:

3300: 11.20 11.31; on the 11.31 pass I inadvertently short-shifted the 1-2 by 300 rpms and lost nearly a tenth.

As the launch rpm is raised, the tires are not spinning differently; the ECU is applying a higher TM toll.

Simplest thing to do is to tune out TM and run 10s now. But that would be too easy. I'd rather figure out a technique for doing it bone-stock, if possible.

Ranger

Good points, very interesting that lower rpm launch produces faster times. I have
found with my viper ( no TM ) my times improve with launching at lower rpm's :confused:

Ranger you have to buy a viper and shake down each gen with car being completely
stock, I think we would all learn alot if you did. Have you ever driven a viper ?
If not I would be willing to let you do a couple runs with my car to be able to
get some opinions on what I could do to improve my times.

Tom

Ranger 11.20 w/ stock C6Z06 is just amazing :2tu: Do you think with the right
conditions you might do high 10's ? I look forward to the answer.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ranger

Ranger, why are you so concerned about running bone stock if you choose to mount drag radials? Your gain off those is arguably higher than any other minor mod I can think off, probably including turning the TM off. If the ultimate goal after a ton of runs is to achieve the best bone stock time it would seem pointless to run the DR's. We would understand if the answer to this question is simply you wanted to make sure against "WANTED" LOL. :D

Ranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lee,

Because of Torque Management on a stock C6Z06, switching to DRs from stock tires don't change the ET much. Generally less than a tenth.. They are more consistent though. Using my launch technique, my 60' will generally no vary more than .03 on DRs. More like .08 on stock tires.

My best 60' on stock tires is 1.78 and on DRs 1.73. As I noted earlier, TM is the real challenge of the car.

Perhaps you missed Wanted's recap of the rules. Driver chose the tires. I wanted consistency; so I opted for DRs. Wanted chose stock tires because last time at Cecil he had been very consistent on them. I think most Viper owners would not suggest that somehow I took an unfair advantage in the match. I didn't. Both of us played by the agreed-upon rules.

Ranger

outnumbered

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much better can it get?Cheers to both gentleman that showed a great deal of class for the Viper and Corvette community.There has been very civil posting on both forums.Great job guys.
Dan :2tu: :usa:

joshwars

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Regardless of tires, that is a killer time from the stock C6Z06. Congrats, I am very impressed. Makes me realize that my Gen2 GTS will need some help in the form of a SC, TT or NOS if I encounter one on the freeway. :)

Mike 99ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless of tires, that is a killer time from the stock C6Z06. Congrats, I am very impressed. Makes me realize that my Gen2 GTS will need some help in the form of a SC, TT or NOS if I encounter one on the freeway. :)

Not necessarily, it still really comes down to driver. If there were 10 new Z06's in that event Wanted may have beat 9 of them. Ranger is just a Very Good driver. There is no doubt about it the new Z06 is fast but I've seen 2 new ones with racing tires and a new SRT10 Viper Coupe with same tires on road coarse and the Viper beat them pretty easy. Viper driver I know to be a great driver which I'm sure made the difference as well. I do know it takes full exhaust and ET's for my 99ACR to run 11.3

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather