Retread Debris

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much as I hate all these laws the clowns in congress keep makeing to take away our freedoms, one thing I wish they would outlaw are retread tires for trucks. I finally hit a section of retread truck tire in the Viper two nights ago at night, in traffic, no warning. At the time it sounded like it tore hell out of the facia. When I was able to stop and look I didn't see any damage. I guess these cars are tougher than I give them credit for. I hit it dead center at 55MPH and there was no damage. Still, go anywhere and you are going to dodge retread debris. If they can't build the damn tires well enough to not grenade on the streets and highways they should be against the law to make and own. Fat chance of that happening. Congress has too many stupid laws we don't want to saddle us with to pass laws that we actually do want.:mad:

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the very reason that I try to never get too close behind someone. I always want to have time to avoid garbage in the road. That said about a week ago I barely missed a large piece of lumber in the road. Had just enough time and room to get around it.

Drove paranoid for the next hour at least. The retreads here in Florida are really bad.

Ron

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife and I were traveling in southern Ca one night on I-5 and a recap cap came off and we hit it dead center with here nissan stanza and it broke the grill, facial and a 2 foot long dent in the hood. I always try to keep far away from Simi Trucks from then on.

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Much as I hate all these laws the clowns in congress keep makeing to take away our freedoms, one thing I wish they would outlaw are retread tires for trucks. I finally hit a section of retread truck tire in the Viper two nights ago at night, in traffic, no warning. At the time it sounded like it tore hell out of the facia. When I was able to stop and look I didn't see any damage. I guess these cars are tougher than I give them credit for. I hit it dead center at 55MPH and there was no damage. Still, go anywhere and you are going to dodge retread debris. If they can't build the damn tires well enough to not grenade on the streets and highways they should be against the law to make and own. Fat chance of that happening. Congress has too many stupid laws we don't want to saddle us with to pass laws that we actually do want.:mad:
You might want to get the car on a lift and check for damage under the car.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a similar situation the other day, was driving down to a friends shop in the Magnum and as I was cresting a bridge there was about half a brick or something similar right in line with my left front tire. Bang was all I heard and cringed when I heard it. When I got to the shop we took a look but couldn't find anything. Guess I got lucky, sounded nasty.

--RS

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have obviously never owned a fleet of big trucks before and had to pay for tires. Unless you want the cost of EVERYTHING shipped to go up significantly as new tires are 3 or 4 times as much as the three allowed re-treads you can get out of a tire with a good sidewall, then I suggest you just live with them.

The problem is not the tires or re-treads, but more the absolutely poor and inexperienced drivers on the road and people not checking their equipment often enough to ensure proper inflation levels, etc. then they blow.

Personally I think you need to slow down, fall back and pay more attention to the road yourself. Your rant is directed at the wrong problem. It is not the re-tread, but the bad driver of the truck that had the tire blow due to his negligence.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but could someone explain to me what exactly IS retread?

A retread, or "recap," (or "remould" in the UK) is a previously-worn tire which has gone through a remanufacturing process designed to extend its useful service life.

Retreading starts with a safety inspection of the tire. The old tread is then buffed away, and a new rubber tread is applied to the bare "casing" using specialized machinery.

Retreads are significantly cheaper than new tires. As a result, they are widely used in large-scale operations such as trucking, bussing and commercial aviation. They are also the most environmentally friendly way of recycling used tires - in some applications, a tire can be retreaded up to 10 times. Recycled rubber from retreads can be shredded to make rubber mulch. The process of "retreading" requires, after the buffing off of the old tread, there to be coating with another compound like rubber to allow the new tread to adhere to the used tire casing.

97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have obviously never owned a fleet of big trucks before and had to pay for tires. Unless you want the cost of EVERYTHING shipped to go up significantly as new tires are 3 or 4 times as much as the three allowed re-treads you can get out of a tire with a good sidewall, then I suggest you just live with them.

The problem is not the tires or re-treads, but more the absolutely poor and inexperienced drivers on the road and people not checking their equipment often enough to ensure proper inflation levels, etc. then they blow.

Personally I think you need to slow down, fall back and pay more attention to the road yourself. Your rant is directed at the wrong problem. It is not the re-tread, but the bad driver of the truck that had the tire blow due to his negligence.

Telling a Viper owner to slow down? Wrong forum pal.Sometimes when traffic is jammed up it doesn't matter how slow or how far back you stay, a tire in the road can be unavoidable. A lot of cars can just straddle something in the road, but we can't.

Ron

johniew398

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Retreaded tires aren't used as "drive tires:" just mainly on trailers.

If a retread is going to separate it normally does so during the first 500 miles.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
retreads don't kill people, people kill people

[media]http://api.ning.com/files/Yd7LFnJrkudnZQdicgQfNyaLsmqxs5g0Kje9J6eVNegK-Vm4C2x8X8WCC0cVgKPR8*05QAaKsZkrSA1t6zNE9y*EcETTg-ps/squirrel_with_machine_gun.jpg[/media]

make them pay (tickets, inspections) - but personal responsibility is nearly dead in :usa:

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What he said.

Retreaded tires aren't used as "drive tires:" just mainly on trailers.

Not in my world.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grazed a retread on the road the other night ....it should be the responsibility of the driver to clean up his debris. More than retreads, I hate auto debris, hit a tailgate to a pickup truck that was sitting in the middle of the road during rush hour traffic once .... put a 2" hole in the gastank

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, a bunch of Vipers were going out of town for "a breakFAST run" and we encountered a ton of small pieces of tread scattered along the road with one long, large piece of tread (called a "gator" in trucking language)...which flipped up and hit the nose of one Viper, scratching it slightly, breaking fog light lens as well. As we traveled a couple of miles down the road looking for a place to pull off, we came upon a big tir-axle dump truck limping along with 1 or 2 tires still throwing off debris. A quick cellphone call to the company listed on the truck's door netted a very nice conversation with the home office, who paid for all repairs to the Viper !!!

There ARE some good, responsible folks out there.

jdavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Often you don't have any warning of an encounter with a retread. My wife and I were traveling down an interstate with the flow of traffic when out of nowhere a tire tread hit my hood and bounced off the windshield. The hood was dented and windshield cracked. Scared the daylights out of me. Perhaps the tread was struck by a car in front and became airborne as no truck was in close proximity. Regardless, there was no warning or time to react and there is no defense against it. Fortunately, it didn't result in an accident or injury, but the possibility was certainly there. After this experience, I think that a ban on such tires might not be such a bad idea although it isn't likely to happen.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang