Reusing Valve Cover Gaskets

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was reassembling my motor and it looks like my old valve cover gaskets still look good. Has anyone reused these with much success? I figured I'd save the brand new ones for a later date...

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We re-use them often on my buddies 327 Corvette (solid lifters)with out any problem. are they still soft enough to seal? I don't see why not.

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How old are they?
Are they free from compression marks?

Answer those two questions for yourself and decide, I have always replaced those gaskets, why? Just because it's the right thing to do.

ruckdr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are they the original (1994)"fiber" gaskets??
If they are, don't even consider re-using then. Replace with the upgraded double metal gaskets. The original gen 1 gaskets WILL leak, sooner or later.
Later,

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are the black and orange ones...they look exactly like the new ones I recieved in an upper end gasket kit a month ago. Seemed in decent shape but I hate to button it all back up and then one leaks because I'll haveta undo the coolant tubes etc.

Reaction score
Frank -

There is no problem reusing the older valve cover gaskets as long as they are in good shape. Engine heat may deteriorate them in time. As long as you inspect and determine them to be in good condition and not brittle or the rubber pealing off, go ahead and reuse them.

Regards,
Doug

OP
OP
F

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I just got in and finished up the head gasket job. Decided to put the new valve cover gaskets in since I had them anyway. The last thing I feel like doing is having to remove the valve covers, coolant tubes, and plug wires etc. if in fact the valve cover gaskets leaked with the old gaskets. Rather be safe then sorry...hope to fire it up sometime tomorrow and bleed some air out of the hoses. I am gonna say a prayer that after running her and putting her up in the air that there are no drips or droplets etc at the head gasket. Thanks Doug and Chuck for your help and tips...much appreciated! :usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness