Reverse lockout busted.

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummmm, this could be a two part answer based on the VIN of your vehicle. As a running change in 1993 (VIN 605) the reverse lockout was changed from a spring loaded detent, to a PCM controlled lockout solenoid. When the key is turned ON and vehicle speed is 3 mph or less, the PCM will energize the solenoid. A selector then pushes a spring loaded plunger past the solenoid thus allowing the the trans to be shifted into reverse. When the speed is greater than 3 mph, the solenoid is de-energized which blocks the plunger from passing the solenoid and getting to reverse. You said that a fuse or wiring could be the problem but if that where the case, then you would never get reverse. So that means you must have the a pre-VIN 605. I hope? this helps.

OP
OP
R

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yours has the spring detent and it is not PCM controlled...no wires....no fuse. In my prior post, I said that if it was a fuse or wiring problem, the solenoid defaults to a no reverse condition. In others words, you would never get to reverse until the PCM could control it. Yours is a simple detent not a lockout which means if you miss the gate for 5th, you get T56 internal component interference. That is why the solenoid was added.