revolution lift coming, HAVE GARAGE QUESTION

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
just ordered a revolutionlift for the garage and i need to take the existing craftsman door opener and have it raised up closer or removed from the door altogether if clearence becomes an issue. my ceiling is 11 ft so i have the room to go up but currently the opener hangs at 8 ft high. I need at least on section of track for each side of the door (they look to be 3-4 feet each, which should allow me to mount everything a few feet higher to make the room for the car when up in the air. QUESTION IS, WHERE DO I BUY THESE THINGS. i called sears, NO LUCK. Home depots site only shows replacement pullies and springs, and I really cant see me paying a guy that installs garage openers to come do it when it looks like a 20 minute job if i had the damn parts. where can i buy these tracks at. thanks.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a door contractor modify my door and it was not a 20min job. First trip they took measurements and ordered the tracks which were custom made for my application. The second trip all the components were installed but they could not fit the door operator, not enough space between the door and ceiling. At this pont they had at least 7 hours into the project. I located a different type of operator, where the ceiling space was not a factor, and installed it myself which added another three hours to the project.

My door had to be converted to a torsion spring setup, if yours is configured this way already it may be less involved.

I had pictures in my gallery but the galley has vanished.

The bill from the door contractor was $700 and worth every penny IMHO. The door is opened several times per day and no problems for 1 y.

BTW I have the same lift (XLT model)) and love it. :2tu:

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for a cheap fix, check out http://www.wayne-dalton.com/DirectDrive.asp . the Idrive gets rid of that middle rail in the garage and relocates the opener. If you want to truly RAISE everything, you'll need more than this... but check it out. it works well.

JD
This is the operator I used. The contractor would not install it because of a history of problems and poor customer support. However not a single issue with my unit.
Slick setup, does not require wiring for the button controls or external light module.

RedLiner

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try www.liftmaster.com and check out the side mount. This runs about $485 installed and is highly recommended by local door installer. I'm getting 3 of these installed in the next few weeks once my new doors arrive.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RE: the iDrive - the customer support I had when i needed it was pretty good. there is a fuse in a main unit (not documented anywhere) and if the motor stops working, the fuse is probably blown. I got support on the phone and got them to tell me where the fuse was. 20 min on hold for support and a 5 min trip to radio shack and i was back in business.

I've heard that the wayne dalton sales channel isn't particularly huge b/c they don't just sign up everyone and their mother. Then again, i got my unit at Lowes... so go figure. But I like the iDrive and would recommend it.

under 200, i think it was, too...

JD

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on the cars. I just stacked two Vipers with a 9ft ceiling and there is space to spare. The key is to BACK the upper car in so the garage door slides over the hood of the upper car. We did bend the existing door rails a few inches up but that is a pretty easy, bring the side rails up and lock them in a few inchs up AND we raised the opener and it's center rail the same few inches up. NO bigee for clearance either way for the lift and you could put another lift on the other side. This issue is way overblown as to what can be accomplished if you want to stack two sports cars that are both around 47-48" in height. 9 ft is all you need. All bets are off though if it's not two sports cars at 48" each.

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes the door mod needed depends on your existing door setup, ceiling height, the lock points of the lift, the height and type of cars you are parking and your height, if you intend to stand to work under the car.

I needed 70" to park a SUV underneath and being 6"2" this is a good working height for me.This required a ceiling height of at least 10'9"

The challenge here was finding a contractor that understood what I was talking about and agreed that it was possible. A few insisted that the side mount chain drive operator was the only lift that would work reliably, at a cost of $800 installed. Total BS. Others said I would need a new door because an extra section is needed and that my door was obsolete. More BS.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've also heard that the i-drive is not as reliable as current technology. I had a spring break in my torsion system and thought about the idrive. The contractor told me he's had many problems and the product is not mature enough to justify the expense.

Gus Strakes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my garage doors, I was told that there are two types of radius track (i.e. that section of track that curves and takes the track from vertical to horizontal). 9" is standard, but if your ceiling can handle it, you can get high lift 34" radius track from most garage door suppliers. I had a company switch out the radius from 9" to 34", and raise the door opener. The cost was about $350 parts and labor. My door opener sits about 9.5' above the floor (ceiling height is 12') and will easily stack two Vipers. For service I use a rolling stool while under the car, and it works out great. In my avatar you can see the door opener directly above the roof of the FE.

OP
OP
V

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
did some reaserarch on the radius part you mentioned and it seems 12" and 15" are the 2 sizes these companies stock. i found a local garage installer and he will be out tomorrow to advise the best way to proceed. will post what the end result is after i get home from the office.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpcc