Ride transformation

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Almost a year ago I brought my 04 srt10 red vert from DFW to SA. Some of you may recall my issues with the car darting all over the lane and me being terrified to drive it over 75mph.

A new right front upper control arm and steering knuckle was in order and tamed the crazyness down a tad. Shortly after, I had Moton CS put on with 500/800 lb springs. I also had the ride height adjusted as I wanted the car lower.

I knew I needed an alignment soon so I took it elsewhere for this and drove it home with the steering wheel a bit turned to teh right while going straight down the hwy? I then took it to a dealer to correct and gave them the specs I wanted which consisted of the negative 1.5 camber up front and an over all agressive street set up.

I forgot to mention that where I got the crooked steering wheel alignment, I also asked them to lower a tad bit more prior to alignment and make sure rake was good.

I play around with the comp/rebound and psi as I have the fill kit from Tom. I notice more space between the top of tire and fender up front compared to in rear, but the car does look lowered. I end up with 190 psi front and 200 psi rear with 2 comp 3 rebound all around.

Everything feels ok for the most part until I have a pretty bad understeer situation a few weeks back. My learning curve did not help the matter at all, matter of fact it made it worse, however, the car began with the understeer was what it felt like anyway.

All this to say, this week I took it to a shop I work alot with on my other cars. Mark J gives me the specs for success for alignment and rake and moton settings. The shop tells me the rear was a bit lower than the front and the before alignment specs for the front were pretty much stock and rear was a slight agressive street alignment.

The shop gave the car 4.5 front 5.25 rear rake measured at centerline of wheels and a very nice 1.8 negative camber front and I think negative .8 rear. "Don't have all the other specs handy right now". I reduced psi to 175 all around and gave the rebound 3 stiff clicks all around and compression 3 stiff in front and 4 stiff in rear.

Holy Cow the car has been transformed. It almost felt like a C6 Z06 on the highway headed out to the track. I am so so so happy and my feelings of love for my car have doubled. The car handled so much better at the track and the turns where I uses to exp understeer where so much more managable. Like Mark said, "when the rear goes up, you will have more oversteer at corner entry". I did have that. The car is so well planted and much more predictable than before.

Where as before, I would not fathom take the car much over 100mph, I can see that it is certainly do able. It took almost a year of fiddling around but it was worth it.

Thanks for all your help Mark. Thanks also to Tom Nader for a kit that makes it so convenient to use and make the adjustments to your cannisters.

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a similar issue but I recently got an 04. It likes to veer and jolt different directions depending on the road I'm driving. The car is stock suspension/stock tires. Is this the same thing you were talking about? It just seems like little bumps or uneven lanes are highly exaggerated. And this is at normal cruising speeds, 40-70mph...

Glad to hear you are happy with the car. Have fun out there!!

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wide front tires on these cars like to steer for you. Terrible roads with deep grooves exacerbate the problem. One road near my home required two hands on the wheel when I first got the car. Seems that changing out the runflats to PS2's mostly cured the problem.

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a similar issue but I recently got an 04. It likes to veer and jolt different directions depending on the road I'm driving. The car is stock suspension/stock tires. Is this the same thing you were talking about? It just seems like little bumps or uneven lanes are highly exaggerated. And this is at normal cruising speeds, 40-70mph...

Glad to hear you are happy with the car. Have fun out there!!

From what I understand the much increased neg camber up front helps eliminate with the darting right to left of front. And as has been mentioned on the site, moving away from the run flats especially if the ones you have are original which might make them even harder do to age would help. I have gone with a wider 295 on a 19 inch wheel for my street tires and I kept my stock wheels and put the Kumho Ecsta's in stock width and both are much better than the run flats as far as the darting even prior to my latest alignment.

OP
OP
T

TommyG

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The wide front tires on these cars like to steer for you. Terrible roads with deep grooves exacerbate the problem. One road near my home required two hands on the wheel when I first got the car. Seems that changing out the runflats to PS2's mostly cured the problem.

+1 on this.

dsg03svt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
+1 on this.

Great information. Thanks guys. I'm actually talking to Jon B about picking a set of PS2's up. I just can't decide if I want to buy them now for the stock wheels or if I truly want aftermarket wheels which would mean holding out and getting wheels/tires at the same time...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi