Rim question

TexasSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are HRE and other similar rims difficult to keep clean around all the nuts that surround the rim by the lip (for lack of better terms)? It would seem like dirt and brake dust would accumulate in the small crevices and be extremely hard to clean out. I am curious to know how much of a pain in the @$$ these performance rims are to clean before thinking about purchasing.

Thanks guys

Last edited:

vipertime3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have 2 sets and use one at the race track -- lots of brake dust -- and I don't find them difficult to clean at all. If you like the look, as I do, it's worth the extra bit of elbow grease:)

DII

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its not that bad. The best thing to do is ensure you spin all the excess water out of the drop center (its on the inside of the wheel) and then let all the water spin out of the rivet sections, spokes etc. Then you can dry the wheel, this helps alot as it prevents the accumulation of debris.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someday I'll have to start my own rim/wheel company and here's what I'll do different...those "nuts" that get covered in brake dust will fasten from the backside of the rim leaving a nice clean, smooth surface on the visible side of the rim.

Regards,
Aaron

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I have never had a problem cleaning my nuts. But that's just me. :D

Sorry, no one else was taking the bait and I couldn't resist. Had to be done.

In all seriousness, however, I have seen a number of detailing brushes available at Pep Boys, Autozone etc. that look like soft boar's hair or bristle brushes. The operative term here is soft as you don't want hard or rigid plastic bristles that could scratch the finish of the wheels. Just gently work in the bristles on the rivets with car soap and water or a good wheel cleaning solution like P21S and that should do it. Rinse and your done.

Good luck cleaning your nuts.

/Rich

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just let them dry and go back the next day with some windex and a soft cloth and wipe the water marks off. It is not that big of a deal.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
after i towel dry my car, i get my air compressor out and give all those nooks and crannies a burst of air. another quick wipe down and everything is perty again.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
they get dirty within 30 miles...sometimes I wash only the wheels. then I blow all the water out with an air hose but becareful not to blow off paint or poweder coating.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
they get dirty within 30 miles...sometimes I wash only the wheels. then I blow all the water out with an air hose but becareful not to blow off paint or poweder coating.

That only happens if you have HRE's. :lmao:

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And from what I hear, you like watchin Monkeys......

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually don't notice dust around the bolt holes so much. as dust gets on the lip of the wheel it is very noticable.

polished aluminum will get light surface scratches if you try to wipe the dust off. Then you have to polish them again.

I have the best luck with just washing them. It takes a good half hour to wash the wheels and get al the water out of the little bolt holes and inside the wheels. I ususally don't have to polish them afterwards though.

I like that soft brush idea...I'll have to pick one of those up and try it out.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someday I'll have to start my own rim/wheel company and here's what I'll do different...those "nuts" that get covered in brake dust will fasten from the backside of the rim leaving a nice clean, smooth surface on the visible side of the rim.

Regards,
Aaron

HRE makes those...I think they are even more expensive though.

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my 843r's from HRE with the hidden hardware
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

They look very good without the hardware, I would suggest this look if you don't want the maintenance, or like in my case, where I did not prefer the look of the hardware (bolt heads) showing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte