Ripley's Believe It Or Not? N O T !!!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Ripley\'s Believe It Or Not? N O T !!!

Since 1996, the Pac-NW VCA gas-guzzlers have been broiled-toasted-fried-electrocuted by NEDRA (Natl Elec Drag Racing Assn)
with their 11-sec dragsters. We stock Vipers lost every year........ Now, when Ripley's pays over $8000 in expenses to cover the 2001 "toasting" the unthinkable happens: VIPER WON !
Ripleys therefore went home without a story. The trophy reverts to Pac-NW VCA til 2002.......BUT PLEASE READ ON.......

Ripley's asked "...what OTHER craziness can you Viper Guys do, we hate to lose this theme and the footage....."

Back in 1993 (yes, 1993!) "Viper Club" members drag raced the Blue Angels at an air show in OR. Almost pulled off an encore in 2000, shot down by "G.M. OFFICIAL VEHICLES" of the show. I am working with Nat'l VCA, and Ripleys, to stage a "Viper Vs. Jet" drag race episode. Ripleys has committed. In fact, they are excited ! Now YOUR part:

Anyone here have an "in" at a Navy / Air Force / Natl Guard base where this "Viper-On-Taxiway, Jet On Runway" might take place? Mad Tony? You military jet-pilot types? Ripleys HAS a Lear or etc, but wants a jet fighter. Ripleys will make the P/R official overtures to legitimize this event.....but IF YOU HAVE A MILITARY Networking Contact, please E-me? Ripleys has asked/hoped that we can get 30++ Vipers on scene IF/WHEN this happens. I bet YES !

Stay Tuned...............

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ripley\'s Believe It Or Not? N O T !!!

Interesting idea Jon. I remember a story about a top fuel rail drag racing an F-16 on a carrier. On the ship the jet won. Then they repeated it on the strip and the jet lost.

Home court advantage made a big difference!

Try calling Tom at BTR, isn't he an Air Force guy?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shoot, I only know the guys with the Stealth and B1 bombers out here in the Midwest (Whiteman AFB). May have a couple minor contacts that could work something up elsewhere (Air Force was my client for 10 years). I'll make a few calls...

Chris

Luvjet

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The Reno air races are Sept.13-16. Every day after the races are over anything goes. Saw some Vipers there last year. Maybe some of the guys in the Reno area can help. There are over 100,000 people at the races.

Double Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB,

How about Dallas, Texas that is?
Call me at 740-852-5280. I think something can be done.

Meeting a few of those Texas guys, I'm sure they can come up with 30 or so Vipers!

I just got done making the same type of arrangements for a few of our special Cobras.
DV

P.s Hey...I come in handy once in awhile. If this doesn't go through I will deny I was ever here!
smile.gif

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JonB talk to Fred Kinder, he is trying to set up an event with the Blue Angels in October for Fleet Week in S.F.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jon,
the Niagara falls airbase (USAF) every year has a large airshow..
with the blue angles and other military performance groups...
Seeing that not much happens up here in WNY. I am sure they would be up for it.. let me check it out and I will get back to you.
As a tie in to Ripley's; in Niagara falls Canada (5 mins away) Ripley's has a large museum attraction !!!!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did that last year in Italy with the "Frecce Tri Colori". It was so much fun seeing people placing bets....If it can be done with Vipers, the better!

Andy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gee, would a Russian mig do? Last month you probably could have talked Lutz into that one. Not sure now that he's a General (motors).

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My father was a 31 year USAF manpower personell guy. Last job was Director of Operations Europe. I'll call him.

I also have a partner in our Dallas office that is a recent (6 months) retired early Blue Angels Lead Pilot. I'll call him.

Jon, if I pull this off I want you to seriously consider having my wifes company redesign your website!!

Jeff

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Jeff, Ed, Jim, Bones......... Great news, and thanks for your legwork and enthusiasm .

Ripley's called, and has the Sr managemnt approval to DO THIS.

So whoever comes up with a "likely YES -Probably" answer from their military contacts may get this event.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Progress was made today with the USAF. I contacted Brig. Gen. Rand's office. He's in charge of public affairs. I was referred to televised media and then documentaries.

I spoke with Jennifer Koyama (a civilian) who said this was very doable. She has requested several things that I need your collective help with in addition to my request (which I have already forwarded via email directly to Ms. Koyama).

1. A letter from the producer of Ripley's beleive it or Not stating that they will commit to the segment subject only to reasonable time and location constraints.

2. A letter from a representative of the Viper Club of America that basically states that this would be a club supported event.

3. If possible a letter from Dodge stating that they will participate or support the event. Ideally they may want to provide the car to get the media machine going.

On the club side we may want to have an online vote to determine whose Viper will compete. We also need to propose a format, location, and date.

I would suggest that we suggest a fighter airbase. This makes set up a little easier.

I have not heard back from Mark (Utah) Provo of the Blue Angels, but expect to shortly.

How about a Thunderbird vs. Blue Angel vs. Viper shootout?

Jeff

zoomie

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

a side note, the Thunderbirds fly F-16s - Fighting Falcons, and some in the Gulf War were nicknamed 'Viper' !
"Vipers In The Storm: Diary of a Gulf War Fighter Pilot "
(book by Keith Rosenkranz - F-16 pilot )
Now There's a VIPER contest !

OP
OP
J

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

KEEP EM COMING........... Ripleys just downloaded this thread to help in their planning processes. Ripleys will vist this thread regularly.

Ripleys has agreed verbally to the "customary" constraints for filming on a miliraty base and will provide written confirmations when we get a bit closer to selecting a venue.

Tony Estes, Nat'l VCA prez, says he will do the "blessings" to make it a VCA event. Tony is enthused.

Jim Roppo, a VCA-cofounder and VCA prez of Colo is seeing if the USAF Academy (VCA event planned there in 2 weeks!) can help.

Tony and I both believe that a Stock-ish Viper is the storyline, and Ripleys agrees for now....."something you can buy at a dealer, drive to the AFB, and beat a fighter jet in X distance"..if you were able to do what we're attempting to do.

PLEASE E-ME important messages, dont just post 'em ???

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My personal preference would be a 2003 vs. the jet. I think this would serve us collectively as the Viper community the best.

I would very much like Dodge to get involved as they will certainly benefit as much as the USAF or Navy. I was somewhat surprised, but these branches very much understand public relations and use of the media. That's my ignorance I guess...

Let's get some feedback on venue asap and see if we can get Dodge solidly behind this. "Borrowing" a $14 million dollar plane and pilot (not to mention fuel and flight line time) is no simple undertaking.

Although, from what I've been told some written endorsements will seal the deal.

I really like the post re: Viper vs. Viper. We need to appreciate and support the militaries goals here as well and a Viper vs. Viper has real headline appeal.

Does anyone have the connections to get magazine story buy in? Motor Trend? Autoweek? etc?

Let's keep this moving forward. Lots of upside for everyone involved...

Jeff

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

UPDATE:

Mark Provo, retired COO of the Blue Angles and Blue Angels pilot, Gulf War hero, friend and business partner thinks this idea will "fly" with current Blue Angels leadership. He recommends we start working for a March event. The air show season ends in November. The Blue Angels and Thunderbirds have not historically gone to the same shows. This is in the process of changing. We would only request one jet from each.

He thinks we need a 10,000 foot runway. It will take a F-16 Falcon (aka Viper) or F-18 Hornet 1800 feet at 160mph to get airborne. Williams Gateway in Phoenix Arizona has 3 10,000 foot parallel runways. He knows the parties running the field.

He feels it wouldn't be until a half mile until the numbers start being equal. Auto winning up to a half mile and aircraft after.

The pilot will light the cans holding the brakes for about 2 seconds, release the brakes and go. So technically the Jet pilot will determine the start as the jet is going to go after 2 seconds brakes or no brakes!

Mark is good friends with Navy Commander Rob Feild and worked under him. Rob is currently running the Blue Angels and is likely to be running Naval operations before it's all over. He is a HUGE car fan. He owns an early '70s Big Block Vette. The Blue Angels votes on every PR event with Rob having 51% if he chooses to exercise it.

Their mission is to assist the branches in recruiting. The demographic that will be interested in the cars and jets is their demographic. In all communication we need to stress the positive press for the military branches and it's affect on recruiting.

So, I am now interested in a triple runway Dodge Viper, F-18 Hornet, F-16 Viper triple threat shootout. Response thus far is all positive.

Mark is also involved with a company called Center Point. They are in the process of consolidating the air show industry. Air Shows are an 18,000,000 attendees a year. More in person attendees than any outdoor spectator sport other than NFL and MLBA. Even beats NASCAR for actual attendees. He is pitching this competition as a kick off for Center Points roll-up strategy.

Mark is going to contact Commander Feild of the Blue Angels and Williams Gateway and report back asap. Will probably take a week. More news to come.

Jeff

Gary Lashinsky

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon, this was done two years ago a Lake City airport in Florida by one of our VCA members in his Venom 600 GTS Coupe during an air show at that field. FYI. . .the F-16 won!

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score

maybe we can get sir hiss,the venom800 tt, and the svs stryker to race againest them.Their the 3 fastest vipers we got.

oh if it pulls through can you put a date when its on.

Gm is gonna cry and maybe they will have to make a better vette!
laugh.gif

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I work for the US Govt at the Patuxent River Naval Air Warfare Center. We have a big air show every year. The Blue Angels show up every other year. The place to start is, http://www.nawcad.navy.mil/pao/
These folks will be able to put you in touch with the show people. Hope this helps, Joe Moraski

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think a Viper vs. jet vs. superbike contest would be awesome! I'm sure I can find a crazy sportbiker who would love a chance to run against two fast machines! I know that in Florida, the Busa and ZX12 guys hold 9/10 mile drag races, and can hit speeds over 200 mph! What do you think?

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon-B,

If all else fails, my friends uncle is the commanding general of the R.I National gaurd. Every summer they host the Quonset point air show, with Blue angels, golden nights, red devils, yada yada , yada.I think it's scheduled for the second week of june this year. Let me know if i should contact him.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cookviper