Road and Track Article

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read my R&T and found this little blurb about the SRT. To me it is the exact reason I have a Viper. What do you think?

If the Corvette ZR1 revels in new science, the Viper SRT10 goes in the opposite direction and catapults the driver back into the sights, sounds and sensual pleasures of the muscular, knock-off-the-crap Sixties. This is a car for people (i.e., nearly all of us) who missed a chance to buy a Cobra Daytona Coupe — and drive it to breakfast. The Viper is about as subtle as a punch in the mouth, but a lot more fun.
You must be registered for see images
Slideshow >>

This is not to imply that the car's hard-hitting honesty is technically archaic in any way — only that a thematic choice has been made. And when some modern marvel — such as dynamic stability control — seems superfluous to the Viper's rugged personality, it's simply deleted. This is a car you drive with the human brain and foot — though it's more fun if you favor the foot.
Especially when it's connected to an 8.4-liter V-10 rated at an even 600 bhp at 6100 rpm, with 560 lb.-ft. of torque on tap at 5000 rpm. Not as uncannily smooth as the Corvette's watch-like V-8, the Viper V-10 gives you the visceral impression — and sound — of big pistons hitting hard, with each combustion stroke carrying the car a fair distance down the road. Some of that big-bang sensation comes from very tall gearing. You could drive this car all of your life in the first four gears without much inconvenience. In 5th and 6th the car is just idling at legal highway speeds; it wants to go at least 100 mph, and then just keep going. Like a fighter after takeoff, it isn't meant to stay in the traffic pattern. As ex-racer Steve Millen said in an earlier test, "the harder you run it, the better it is."
Unfortunately, you can't drive real fast all the time — especially with the CHP stalking your fancy little train of supercars — and the Viper is noisier and rougher riding than the other cars at cruising speed. There's a radio and a CD player, but why would you try to listen to them over that great brutish engine note, even if you could? The Viper is an uncompromising sports car meant to be driven hard as a form of entertainment in itself.
An ideal cross-country GT car it's not, but on the twisty back roads it works pretty well. Grip is excellent — if a little busy over mid-corner bumps — and the balance is good. Steering kickback is less filtered than with the other cars, but there's a satisfying sense of driving the car with your own seat-of-the-pants instincts. It'll generate over 1.0g of grip on the skidpad and get through the slalom almost as fast as the Ferrari 599, so you've got plenty of traction to work with. And tons of power from this naturally aspirated ohv V-10 — unique to this group. Its sub-100-grand price tag is also unique.
Overall, the Viper is what used to be called "a man's car," and when it's gone we may not see its like again. Nothing else is quite like it even now.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
vettes are for girls is the unwritten motto of this story, but we already knew that.

Flip on the traction control and you can let your 16 year old drive that vette, but not the Viper.

Ted

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all good and sweet, but just a bone to throw us Viper owners while the other "sponsored" comparisons rate the Viper last on everything based on trunk space. :rolleyes:

What? no mention of handing everyone's @$$ at the RIng? Yeah, "nearly" beats a Ferrari on slaloms.... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's all good and sweet, but just a bone to throw us Viper owners while the other "sponsored" comparisons rate the Viper last on everything based on trunk space. :rolleyes:

What? no mention of handing everyone's @$$ at the RIng? Yeah, "nearly" beats a Ferrari on slaloms.... :rolleyes:

I hear ya Warfang, I really don't care what those crappy car mags say anyway......most of their writers are ______s (fill in the blank) IMHO but if I could put into words the reason I have the best car in the world that article would be inspiration for me and a good starting place. ;)

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't expect too much honesty - have you read the Z06 lovers threads on this site??? They come all the way from the vette forum to make their BS here. After being insulted for pointing out the facts they rant and rave for 10 pages about the Z06??? Guess they can't afford a Zr1 yet?

Those guys aren't even smart enough to argue with. They're the same ones that you've argued with many threads ago.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...r-vs-z06-1-4-mile-time-question-new-post.html
Ted

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read the article last night too, and can't understand how the magazine writers don't get that the Viper isn't soft, isn't weak, it's in your face and that's why we Love it! I don't care about the size of the interior....if I wanted to maximize that I'd sell my soul and buy a dreaded minivan and wait for life to end.

I just don't think the magazine writers are capable of understanding the Viper ever....I believe they must have low IQ scores.

My buddy read the article too and he couldn't justify nearly $400k for the Lambo, nor $300k for the Black Series SL.....I simply said....you know for the price of one Lambo, you and three of your buddies can be racing the Vipers against each other......and I think that would be a lot more fun. His response:

"none of us would have licenses!"

Regards,
Aaron

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In my experiance, vette lovers knees tend to buckle when they are aproached by a Viper in real life. My roomate loves vettes and he was disapointed with the Z06 at the autoshow, (as any car lover would be) the interior/seats/exterior were very bland and unexiting. Too bad they didnt have a Viper at the show he was looking forward to seeing one.

In my massivly biased opinion, there is only comp between the Viper and Vette in the minds of car mags and Vette lovers. In real life, there is no comparison, Vipers always win before preformance is even considered, its just a fact of the car world that vette owners are very frustrated with, and that causes them to argue like crazy and fall back on the 'its confortable argument'.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree with R&T's characterization 100%. While the Viper does invite comparisons with the muscle cars of yore (sound, certainly, and the absence of techno-nannies requiring alert drivers), the difference between the Viper and the '60s muscle (stock or modified) is that the Viper also reliably starts, and stops, and handles like a go-kart. Oh, and it runs mid-11s in the 1/4 out of the box (nothing stock in the '60s was near the 11's save the 427 Cobra, which ran low 12's) and can cruise all day at 100 MPH. And wipe virtually every Euro offering off any track. Vipers are visceral experiences made for those of us who appreciate machinery, not merely cars.

BTW, R&T's October 2007 issue (I think) tested a SSG '08 Coupe: read it if you haven't already. The first paragraph sold me on the car (reminded me of a '67 heavily modified 426 HEMI GTX I owned).

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also rated the Viper last place out of the four in the 600hp club. Fit and Finish catagory was the worst at 6 out of 10....:dunno:

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Car and Driver pulled the same crap in their review this month. If you read the article closely, you'll see they rejected the car for just the main reasons we embrace it!

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's face reality - magazines are meant for 'everybody' but the Viper definitely isn't... If the Viper WAS meant for everybody, we'd all see one wrapped around a telephone pole every day :)

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't expect too much honesty - have you read the Z06 lovers threads on this site??? They come all the way from the vette forum to make their BS here. After being insulted for pointing out the facts they rant and rave for 10 pages about the Z06??? Guess they can't afford a Zr1 yet?

Those guys aren't even smart enough to argue with. They're the same ones that you've argued with many threads ago.

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-s...r-vs-z06-1-4-mile-time-question-new-post.html
Ted

Ted are you trying to stir the *** some more? Honesty? I can afford a ZR1 just as easy as I afforded my ACR! Ted when you have raced vipers for over 10 years on dragstrips and road courses like I have, and you have lined up next to something other than a keyboard pad then maybe you can talk intelligently about competition with other cars, but until then I wouldn't be calling names and passing judgement on people who's taste aren't as narrow minded as yours.
How long have you been a Viper owner? I see you didn't join the club until about a year and a half ago or about 10 years after I bought my first GTS, how long have you been an expert on Viper Performance? Or is all your experience based on something you read in a magazine or on the internet?

Last edited:

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper is the modern incarnation of the Cobra, one of the baddest cars of all time, and evryone knows it. Some people can handle it, some can't or don't want that direct of a driving experience. Me, I would'nt have it any other way. Once you've driven a Viper for any length of time, driving anything else is like having the volume turned down on life!

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, got to ask this as I noticed you also have a Ford GT in your avatar which is awesome. How do the two compare for street driving and more importantly the road course?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a reasonable article. I can't say much publicly due to corp confidentiality.. but since growing up reading the mag and to see the majority of my (CAD body) work on the cover recently and a featured article was a highlight in my career.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just read my R&T and found this little blurb about the SRT. To me it is the exact reason I have a Viper. What do you think?

The paragraphs that you posted above are exactly right on the mark, IMHO, The Viper is designed exactly as it was meant to be. It isn't good at the things that it is rated low at because that's not what it's "point" is.

I think that any argument comparing Vette with Viper is futile. They both are what they were designed to be. I couldn't care less whether a Vette guy says his car is better or whether a Viper guy says his car is better and I don't understand why people enjoy arguing about it so much. People take it too personally, as if they designed and built the car personally.

The Viper is a terrible car to haul 2 by 4s home from Home Depot. It isn't as comfortable as a Vette for a 1000 mile trip. I don't care which one is 0.01 seconds faster in any of various acceleration contests. It does what I bought it for. Putting a big grin on my face whenever I drive it ! :D

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paragraphs that you posted above are exactly right on the mark, IMHO, The Viper is designed exactly as it was meant to be. It isn't good at the things that it is rated low at because that's not what it's "point" is.

I think that any argument comparing Vette with Viper is futile. They both are what they were designed to be. I couldn't care less whether a Vette guy says his car is better or whether a Viper guy says his car is better and I don't understand why people enjoy arguing about it so much. People take it too personally, as if they designed and built the car personally.

The Viper is a terrible car to haul 2 by 4s home from Home Depot. It isn't as comfortable as a Vette for a 1000 mile trip. I don't care which one is 0.01 seconds faster in any of various acceleration contests. It does what I bought it for. Putting a big grin on my face whenever I drive it ! :D

good points, :2tu:

have never ridden in a newer vette for a 1000 miles, but have (750 miles) in my viper and i find it extremely comfortable, some of the best oe seats out there :eater:

SkyBob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
have never ridden in a newer vette for a 1000 miles, but have (750 miles) in my viper and i find it extremely comfortable, some of the best oe seats out there :eater:

What year Viper do you have? I drove mine (2003 SRT/10) home from Louisville after I bought it (800 miles) and I was so sore I could barely get myself out of the car. Six months later I made the exact same trip on a nine year old BMW motorcycle (I bought both from the same guy) and I felt like I could have continued on to Boston if I had to. Go figure.

Oh, and both trips were done in one stretch. No stops overnight for sleeping.

Bob

Last edited:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Central BC, Canada to Detroit and back 6,000+MI. in 2 weeks with the wife and suitcases, etc. Awesome. Florida next year maybe.

Nicest driving car I ever

Ted

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jamie, got to ask this as I noticed you also have a Ford GT in your avatar which is awesome. How do the two compare for street driving and more importantly the road course?

Well on the street there is no comparison as the Ford is just an awesome all around car, comfortable, fast and has the look IMO! On the track though how do you beat an ACR? I think it would be hard for any stock vehicle to beat an ACR on a road course and the GT is no exception. I also think the ACR is not only the fastest viper ever but the best looking one as well!

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted
Ted how can you possibly have an opinion about this article when the cars its depicts you dont OWN , have not DRIVEN and probably have not even SEEN in their present generations?You have experiance with a Gen 2 Viper(that cars R&D was done in the EARLY 90S )how can that possibly relate to these state of the art cars?

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ted are you trying to stir the *** some more? Honesty? I can afford a ZR1 just as easy as I afforded my ACR! Ted when you have raced vipers for over 10 years on dragstrips and road courses like I have, and you have lined up next to something other than a keyboard pad then maybe you can talk intelligently about competition with other cars, but until then I wouldn't be calling names and passing judgement on people who's taste aren't as narrow minded as yours.
How long have you been a Viper owner? I see you didn't join the club until about a year and a half ago or about 10 years after I bought my first GTS, how long have you been an expert on Viper Performance? Or is all your experience based on something you read in a magazine or on the internet?
Jamie ,between yourself and i we have owned exactly 19 Vipers over a 16 year period .Ted on the other hand has owned exactly one Viper (which he bought- used 6 years old )over a 2 year period.Every stock Viper or Vette ET DRAG RECORD there is YOU HOLD yet TED (never even been to a racetrack for a VCA EVENT )is the expert here.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Central BC, Canada to Detroit and back 6,000+MI. in 2 weeks with the wife and suitcases, etc. Awesome. Florida next year maybe.

Nicest driving car I ever

Ted
Ted since you have not driven anything designed before 1993 i guess it would be the BEST car you have ever driven.Ps if you go to FLORIDA maybe we can meet up at the drag strip..Mr Furman are you in on this one (hopefully yes and with the Z06 )

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair Warning: If this turns yet into another Ted vs. 1BADGTS vs. Furman thread I'm shutting it down. As a member, this ******* match is getting old really fast. As a moderator, myself and other mods here spend too much cleaning up the personal attacks and thread jacking between the three of you. Consider this a warning.

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ted
Tony ,Jamie and myself were minding our business when TED referrenced the above.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
vettes are for girls is the unwritten motto of this story, but we already knew that.

Flip on the traction control and you can let your 16 year old drive that vette, but not the Viper.

Ted
LOL... And Vipers aren't??? I also didn't like the second to the last sentence in the article -- having owned a killer '65 Goat (it routinely destroyed Cobras and on slicks with a 4.73 gear ran low 11s to high 10s on a good day) back in the muscle car days. I also owned Vettes back before Silicon Valley (or the Viper) existed. In those days, the big-bore Vette had become the pinnacle of the American sportscar. We get to the '90s and enter the Viper. About as close as you can get to the late '60s and early '70s with the raw rumble of big displacement engines.

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yep, old granny has driven fast cars for over 40 years (she also did fast motorcycles, fast boats, and fast planes -- of the supersonic variety). Women are speed freaks too guys! :drive:

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... And Vipers aren't??? ....

:lmao::lmao::lmao: Yep, old granny has driven fast cars for over 40 years (she also did fast motorcycles, fast boats, and fast planes -- of the supersonic variety). Women are speed freaks too guys! :drive:

you are too modest, you have forgotten that women that drive :drive: vettes are women (which is fine btw :2tu:) and women that drive vipers are goddesses :headbang:

get comfortable being a goddess :)

:drive: :usa: :drive:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fair Warning: If this turns yet into another Ted vs. 1BADGTS vs. Furman thread I'm shutting it down. As a member, this ******* match is getting old really fast. As a moderator, myself and other mods here spend too much cleaning up the personal attacks and thread jacking between the three of you. Consider this a warning.

+1.
It's real old and pointlessly boring.

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you are too modest, you have forgotten that women that drive :drive: vettes are women (which is fine btw :2tu:) and women that drive vipers are goddesses :headbang:

get comfortable being a goddess :)

:drive: :usa: :drive:
LOL... Yeah, that's why I'm the "cop bait" when we go cruising a herd of snakes in the Tejas hill country. I get pulled over from the middle of the herd by no less than three cop cars while everyone else slithers merrily away. I think I'll paint "cop bait" on the slate snake's back window. :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL... And Vipers aren't??? I also didn't like the second to the last sentence in the article -- having owned a killer '65 Goat (it routinely destroyed Cobras and on slicks with a 4.73 gear ran low 11s to high 10s on a good day) back in the muscle car days. I also owned Vettes back before Silicon Valley (or the Viper) existed. In those days, the big-bore Vette had become the pinnacle of the American sportscar. We get to the '90s and enter the Viper. About as close as you can get to the late '60s and early '70s with the raw rumble of big displacement engines.

Great points as MANY Viper owners are ex or current Vette owners.Myself i owned 6 Vetts before i started in with the Snakes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4