Road Atlanta 7/28-7/29 with Chin Motorsports?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone form here going? I see 1 other Viper listed, and I'm about to sign up, but it would be nice to know some people there.
The beginner group is already full, but there is still space for people with track experience in the solo groups.

I haven't run with Chin before, but from what I've heard, they are the best to run with. Higher end, faster cars, less cars and a lot more track time than other groups.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone form here going? I see 1 other Viper listed, and I'm about to sign up, but it would be nice to know some people there.
The beginner group is already full, but there is still space for people with track experience in the solo groups.

I haven't run with Chin before, but from what I've heard, they are the best to run with. Higher end, faster cars, less cars and a lot more track time than other groups.

Don't let the advertised track time fool you. They do a "happy hour" at the end of the day which EVERYONE is allowed to participate in. That means potentially 90-100 cars could be out on the track at the same time. Does that sound fun or safe? Chin is a good well respected group that usually attracts good drivers. I think they are a bit expensive and don't buy into the more track time thing. Just my .02

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You sure seem to be racking up a lot of track days. :2tu: .....I'm only up to 9 days so far this season with only 6 more scheduled through the fall. If I didn't have to work to afford the hobby, I would have more time available to play. .......Vipers are not a low buck car to track, (specially for a working class guy) but it is so worth it. :headbang:

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the schedule, it looks like a 40 min session, followed by 3 30 min sessions, then the open 60 min session at the end of the day. That's a hell of a lot better than the 20 min sessions that NASA runs. 3 min warm-up lap, plus a 3 minute cool-down lap, means you only run 14 minutes with them.

I'm trying to get as many in as I can. I'm really looking forward to this one though, since I'll get to run on R6's instead of the Invo's! :)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WOW....REAL TRACK RUBBER....:omg:......:headbang:....I am really anticipating your review of the R6s. Please post your impressions. One word of caution though, and you've probably heard this already, but they say that the grip level is so high, that your corner speeds will be insane, but once you get to the limit, there is not much warning (no squeal, not much progressive slip -until you are used to how they feel at the limit) -massive grip, and then into the weeds we go! .......I was talking to a guy who had R6s on his ZR1 at a recent event, and he described them as "very confidence inspiring....but more unsafe than street tires because of it" ......"because if the tires do get loose, your going so much faster and there isn't any warning, it's there and then it isn't" More seasoned drivers that I've talked to say that with seat time you develop a 'feel' for the R6's slip angle before it cuts loose and then it's safe, but my concern is, what do you do until you can feel what's goin on. -and as they heat cycle, the grip characteristic changes. .....I guess R6's are kind of like women. -just try and figure it out, and hope nothing bad happens in the process. Good luck at your event / stay safe. -Allan

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I definitely anticipate faster times, but I'm still not planning on pushing it "to the limits". Even then though, anything can happen.
I've never gotten track day insurance before, but I might this time just because it will be different than what I'm accustomed to.

I'm trying to talk a buddy of mine who used to run in the Panoz series into bringing one of his cars down and running with me. It would be nice to know someone there and also save me a trip down in the H2 to drop the track wheels off at my mom's house near the track. If I can talk him into it, he's got a nice 2 car trailer and an International to pull it. :)

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will notice a HUGE difference going to the r6's and will never go back to street rubber. :D

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the schedule, it looks like a 40 min session, followed by 3 30 min sessions, then the open 60 min session at the end of the day. That's a hell of a lot better than the 20 min sessions that NASA runs. 3 min warm-up lap, plus a 3 minute cool-down lap, means you only run 14 minutes with them.

If you think that is good you need to take a road trip to Sebring for one of SAFE Motorsports track days. How does 5 1/2 hours for $350 sound? Open track all day. Track goes hot at 9am, 1 hour lunch then hot the rest of the day until 4pm and sometimes 5pm. There is a limit of 65 cars for the day and there is never a traffic problem because everybody takes their breaks whenever they feel like it. By mid afternoon half the folks have had their fill and are heading home. In the last hour it is possible to run laps without ever seeing another car. 3.7 miles is a lot of open track and with less than 5 turns per mile it is FAST. Ask Matt (MTGTS) if I'm exaggerating. I've been a member for 12 years and there is not a better track value anywhere in the world.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmmm...I have a place in Daytona, but I don't ever go down there. I might have have to look into it and take a trip down there next year that coincides with one of their events.
Maybe I can even talk Chad into coming with me since he lives in Daytona now. Do they ever do events that are longer than 1 day? I know it's 5 1/2 hours a day of open track, but I don't know how much constant track time I want to put on the car or myself. 45 min to 1 hour at a time is probably about the max I would want to do. Who knows once I'm out there though. I'll check out their website and get some more info. Sebring definitely looks like a fast track!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All SAFE Motorsports events are single day events. Being able to go out whenever you feel like it and not have to wait 90 minutes to 2 hours in between sessions is a convenience that has to be experienced to truly appreciate.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anyone form here going? .

Not registered but will probably come out to watch a little. Chin has a good rep in this neighborhood; much more track time though I find 40 minute sessions too long.....I'd rather come in after 20 and figure out what I didn't do right, maybe change the car and try again - but then again I'm a wuss....especially when the cool tank runs out of ice!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know 100% I'm going to sweating like crazy! I don't even use a cool-shirt to start with! ;)

We'll see how I feel about 40 minute sessions after I do a few. I like the 30 min sessions, with NARRA, but the 20 min with NASA was way too short. By the time you had slow warm-up and cool-down laps, you only got to actually run for 14 min or so.

I managed to borrow a trailer, so I'm getting the trailer brake control installed on the H2 on Tues and I'll be ready to go. Probably going to bring my street tires with me in case we get any rain during either day. I wouldn't be thrilled about running on a wet track anyway, but there's no way in hell I'm doing it on R6's.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, vicious cycle....

More power leads to broken clutch, upgrade clutch and break a trans, upgrade trans and break rear end/half shafts......

Going faster generally leads to brake upgrades....and then cooling systems to cool them

Better tires leads to different alignment and more grip, which leads to quicker-wearing rear wheel bearings

....and so it goes!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you know about that, Bob? ;)

I'm still (hopefully) going to grab a track car this winter sometime. I've seen some more pop up, but I'm not in a postion to jump on one right this second.

I've already got an agressive alignment on the Viper, so I'm not going to mess with it. I know I could make it even more agressive with the R6's, but since the Viper isn't a dedicated track car, I'll leave it where it is. Having a Viper as a true track car isn't in my budget at the moment. Way too expensive to fix ****! lol

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HOLY ****!!!

Just changed out my brakes and tires for this weekend, and I about broke my own neck when I just went for a drive with the R6's on there. I know track rubber is going to have more grip and response than street tires, but considering I was coming from Invo's to the R6's, WOW! I drove down the road a little bit and was messing the wheel yanking it back and forth and the car just WENT (LIKE RIGHT THEN)! And the tires were nowhere near warmed up. I can't wait to get on the track and basically re-learn how to drive with these things. :)

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,

What kind of cold and hot pressure have you found the R6's like?

You should shoot for 35-37 hot. I've found that if you measure the pressures after coming in, you've already lost a pound or two so I try to get 35 in the paddock (or 37 if I'm lucky enough to talk someone into taking pressures and temps in the hot pit. If you get to 40+ the car will slide like a puck....so its kinda a fine line.

To get there is more art than science. (you can calculate all you want with PV=NRT, but it never seems to work well in practice)

Using air**, I find starting in the mid 20's with a 2 pound difference front-to-back often works. Since its already gonna be hot outside, try 28/26 F/R to start and give them a lap or two to heat up before you really push it. Measure when you come in and then adjust up or down from there. Being a clockwise track that's not too ******* the brakes, RA often responds well with an extra pound in the right rear (as it only gets pounded in 5 and 10A) for example, starting cold pressures of 28 in the front, 26 LR and 27 RR. I recommend keeping a logbook or at least scrap paper to write this stuff down, its amazing how one can't remember 4 numbers for 30 minutes, but memory doesn't work well for me anymore.

Also a good idea (and not too expensive) to get a pyrometer for taking tire temps. Its actually a more telling analytic about how your tires are behaving.

(**Using nitrogen, start 33/31 F/R.... I avoid nitrogen just because of the hassle factor. It works great and is certainly more predictable than air BUT someone is always putting a little air in there (not remembering they're nitrogen-filled) and then with an unknown mixture of air and nitrogen one's judgment-based adjustment system is all out of whack.)

Good luck with it - see you in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bob! I'll definitely play with it all to see what feels best for my style of driving, but that gives me a huge jump start on basic set-up.

What do you mean "see you in a couple of weeks?" lol

Chin is this coming weekend. Are you running NASA the following weekend? I'm not 100% sure if I'll come to NASA or not yet.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm registered for the NASA thing.....had temporarily forgot that you were CHINning this weekend. I'll try to stop up and say hey.

Enjoy the new shoes!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob,
You left Sat before you got to see what a Ciper looks like after into the tire wall on the inside of turn 5! Lol
It's honestly not too bad, but I definitely have some work to do. It drives fine and ran the rest of Sat and all day Sun. Moved up to the blue group Sun and had a LOT more fun!
I was turning consistent 1:40-1:42 laps Sun afternoon. My timer screwed up and didn't get my latest laps on Sun (best it got was a 1:40.36), but my mom said she had a best of 1:37 when clocking me. I'll get the video edited and time my best lap on there. I'll post pics of the damage in a new thread, but I want to get the best lap video finished first and post them at the same time. Overall, a great weekend! And the Hoosiers? WOW! I don't even want to drive on street tires on the street anymore! Lol

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch. Sorry that happened. How'd you get to the inside of T5? Typically folks either go off and cross the road and hit the outside or spin and land on the grass on the inside.

1:37 is awesome! Congrats on that indeed!

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
By the inside of 5, I mean I did what most other people do. lol
I was running hotter than I had through there and I usually let the car run up the outside gator some when I feel like I need to. Unfortunately, I was running on the edge of adheasion on the track surface and started to let it fade out over the gator. As soon as touched the gator, the car whipped around on me and I spun across the track into the tire barrier on the left at the top of the hill (hit with the passenger side of the car). If I had run looser through the whole corner, or pinched a little to stay completely on the track, I probably would have been fine. I just got cought in the middle of the two and as close to the edge of grip that I was, touching the gator while trying to hold the turn too much, sent me spinning. Lesson learned. :)

I'm not so sure I believe the 1:37 time yet. I still need to try to time my laps in the video when my timer quit working and verify it. I do know I had quite a few 1:40.xx laps though. I would love to have one under 1:40 at all! We'll see.