Road Racers, will I pass the Laguna Seca sound test????

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the chance to run Laguna Seca next month. I haven't run the track because it is 350 miles away and I don't wanna go there pay my fees and get thrown out for being too loud. I have Belenger headers, hi flow cats and 3" catbacks with mufflers, but it's still pretty loud. Will lifting going by the sound shack be enough to pass? Any other Viper friendly tricks?

Yves

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had the same issue with my motorcycle (full race exhaust).
Between corners 5 and 6 (where the booth is located), I shortshifted.
Never had an issue.
Nobody in our group got thrown off the track by the way, and we were there for 3 days...
It's not like the booth is constantly manned either.

Just relax and keep your eyes open. You'll be OK.

COOLASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey So. Cal, I know a lot of guys that have to put dampners on there cars and still get flaged. Lifting at the shack works and stay to the left of the track but you lose time having to lift, all you can do is try it, also 4th gear helps keep the RPM down,less noise. Kick but track its definitly worth it.
cool.gif

MtHam ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron,
Typically you need to short shift to 4th and peddle the car up the hill. If you've done 'anything' to the stock exhaust, you will not be able to run T5-T6 WOT in 3rd gear when they have their 90 and 92db limits imposed. (For the record, the street exhaust limit is 93 in CA, yes the racetrack demands more quiet than the street, the bas*ards.) Laguna is the single reason I still run the stock exhaust.
Eric

Jim Hodel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran full throttle past the sound shack in my 99 GTS with air intake and a CORSA 3 inch and never had a problem.

Jim

Guibo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some Porsche Owners Club members have some interesting ways around these noise limits.

You must be registered for see images

I've been to Laguna Seca on other club event days (as a spectator only) and have seen BMW's, Mazdas, Hondas, VW's etc with similar setups. With the exception of the RX-7's and race-only VW's, most of these cars should be pretty mellow to begin with.

Still don't know how these guys got away with it (tuning the SuperTrapps?):

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Ron, don't listen to that MtHamACR guy - he has been spending a lot of time with a particulat lamb and it has addled his brain - "Mad Sheep Disease" I think they call it!!

Anyway - business. Coming out of turn five stomp on it for about 50 ft, drop it into 4th (keep revs at or about 3,000-3,500) stay hard left of track.

Here is the factor that can hurt you the most - air density - so remember to bring you air density meter - er.... just kidding. If its foggy you will bust sound. If it is a bright clear sunny day you can push the limit.

Now, depending on the run group, you get more than one chance, for example, Green Flag and NorCal Shelby - black flag you as soon as you bust the meter, you have to come in and wink, wink, "make a change to the car" (drive through the paddock )

2nd flag, they tell you one more and you are on the trailer.

Ted May helped me out with some sound suppressor gizmos that if the climate is co-operative (hot and sunny and no humidity) I can go flat past the sound booth - note, I have managed that only one day of the several times I have run the track.

That last P****E picture are a set of SuperTraps - local machine shop can help out there, maybe the local Speed Shop - you guys got a lot of them down that way.

Luck

S

SUN RA KAT

Is Laguna in a residential area? It seems silly to me to put noise restrictions on a race track otherwise.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Laguna Seca is owned by the County of Monterey and is controlled by the Board of Supervisors.
Laguna Seca is in a rather large "Bowl", directly across the valley from "high income housing" - typically homes on minimum of two acres - a mixture of professional types and retired folks.
Somehow, these people in this neighborhood convinced the Supervisors that a sound limit was needed and they got it.

Supervisors set up a certain number of "open" sound limit weekends and then there are levels of restrictions.
Cart, American Le Mans type events - no sound restrictions
Christian Concert, annual event, no restrictions
Sports car club events - 90 - 92 Db
Guess some folks just don't want other folks to have fun

It is rather ridiculous - lawn mowers in the neighborhood make more noise than what comes out of the track, as does normal traffic on Highway 68 - I know, I live in a development almost adjacent to the track.

Up to this point no one has been able to take on the issue and effect a change.
Laguna Seca is the only track in the United States that has a sound limit, I believe.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can understand why the locals might not want the noise. I'm a car guy so it wouldn't bother me as much. If it was only an event now and then they probably could live with it. If the track is open every weekend that would be different. Remember, these folks don't care about cars or races. It would be like living near an airport.
Looking at the noise beating exhaust systems I see they are being very creative. The problem is that they should be measured for sound in some way that would keep racers from beating the system with a creative exhaust. I can't believe the racers really want those things hanging out there. If no car could get away with beating the system, they would all be "noise equal" and none of them would need that junk hanging off the back. If they are going to have a noise rule they should make it stick. Too many racing rules cause people to waste time and money in rule beating. Most class rules are to keep the cars even. When you let people use rule ****** tires, for instance, it just means everyone has to get rule ****** tires.
Does anyone see what I'm talking about?

S

SUN RA KAT

<FONT size="6">Arrest 'em all for having noisey lawn mowers!</FONT s>

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ron,

are they even going to let you run with the hardtop on or are they going to be ******* like the porsche club? i think the porsche club was just scared !!
smile.gif

see you at willow springs tommorrow...

- eddie -

Jon 98GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
joe117 wrote: "I can understand why the locals might not want the noise."

Don't try to understand the "locals." They ought to be kicked in the head (multiple times) for being clueless.

What wasn't mentioned was that the track was there BEFORE the houses were. In other words, the "locals" decided to build their mega-buck house next to a racetrack and then they whine about the noise.

California leads the nation in passing inane legislation that tries to absolve pea-brained idiots of any personal responsibility and the Laguna Seca sound restrictions are a prime example of that.

Another thing: Next to the track is an outdoor gun range. How you can complain about car noise when there are shotguns being fired is beyond my comprehension.