Road rash rocker panel

Mopar488

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been getting road rash from day 1 on my rocker panels. Is Dodge covering the paint jobs to fix this?

Reaction score
This is considered normal wear and tear. The aluminum will take a hit different than steel and with the flexing on impact the paint will chip easier unfortunately. If you would install clear bra over the new paint this damage would be a non issue and I have talked with the SRT guys about the need for rock shield on the Viper before but I think it is not cost effective for them on such a small numbered car.

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you need to get them repainted and them apply 3m clear bra cover if you want them to look like new again

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think dealers should just put 3M on new Vipers and add it to the bill and, hopefully design it out of the gen VI.

Reaction score
We do quite a few Vipers each year and all of the Porsche vehicles from our other store. It is a great option but the problem is everyone has a certain level of expectations and if the car is being shipped somewhere it is impossible to fix an issue if it arises. I always suggest you have it done local to you so you have a chance to get it resolved if there is a problem.

FYI I really would bot clear bra any new paint done at a body shop for at least 45 days.

ViperCr8zy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've clear-bra'd several of my new cars, and each time I went to sell them the new owner hated the clear bra and removed it (or I had to remove it). In short, if you clear bra do it for yourself and not for the perceived value you'll retain with pristine rocker panels. I've bought a number of old muscle cars and many new ones too - it's interesting how the term "mint" is applied very differently between them. 20 years from now, nobody will care whether the rockers were clear-bra'd or not. In truth, the nicks and wear will be considered "patina" and may actually help value!

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a clear bra guy. I think it looks like hell and makes the vehicle look cheap. Total waste of time and especially money in my opinion.

Have had it on some vehicles and the reaction is the same as Cr8zys when go to sell it. I have seen guys clear bra damn near everything on the car from the entire roof to underneath to the back, doors, etc. Makes the car look like it is a left over with Saranwrap. A few nickes here and there are to be expected. It is a car in the real world. For those in the "bug" belt a clear bra is impossible to keep in good condition. Been there and done that!

Drive it nice, keep it clean and detailed and that is the best you can hope for. Just my opinion though.

silversrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Disagree with Coloviper. I bought a black SRt and with only 900 miles the sills were trashed from road debris. Now, black shows chips alot worse than other colors. But, had them repsprayed over winter, wait a good 30 days for paint to cure, and clearbrad. Cant even see the clearbra. It wholly depends on the type and quality of the job. I had ventureshield over entire sill (sent sill to installer before remounting to car. Alot easier to apply in his workshop) with an extra heavy 2nd application on the road surface leading edge. Once it gets sandblasted, you can simply peel off and replace with another 6" wide section. Makes everyday cleaning a breeze. Just hit with some windex and wipe to a perfect finish. I swear you can barely tell the sill, or any panel for that matter, even has a coating applied. Perfect product IMHO.

texas_venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ClearMask AR is the way to go. We designed the under body rocker panel kit to cover the entire rocker panel all the way underneath to the bolt pattern. So the entire rocker panel is wrapped from front to back and all the way under. ClearMask is the best film on the market and has a lifetime warranty. Check out ClearMask.com and see for yourself.

08Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same prob with my 08.No exageration,there were hundreds of chips on each rocker,most though being on underside and not very visible when looking at the car from a lateral view.I had a Durashield pre-cut clear film applied.I'm 85% satisfied with the appearance.Whilst most of the film can't be seen,there are a couple places where seams are visible(e.g.around fog lamp area).Passenger side wheel well edge could also be smoother.I do feel more comfortable driving the car now,as I feel in a few thousand more kms the whole length of rocker panels would be denuded.The manufacturer says the film can be removed without damaging the paint.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed the "patenia" on my side sills when my Viper was in the air and I was getting my 373's installed. I had the side sills removed and sent to a local reputable body shop where they are repainting. the bottom leading edge. Once the paint is cured, I'm going to have the clearbra installed. For me its not how it looks with the bra on but how it will look when the bra is off. I was amazed how horrible the rockers looked. My car has only 2000 miles and the rockers are chipped to hell. Its only noticible when the car is on a lift but I know its there and it bothers the hell outta me!!

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The clear bra works great on the side panels ..BUT i have scratches on the front clear bra.....They happen when i clean the bra with a wet micro fiber towel...Obviously power spraying the bra to get the bugs off this does not occur but it would be nice to just clean the the bra and not have scratches...look at the scratches next to the viper logo

stripe1.JPG

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had my local shop apply Ventureshield to the sills on my 08 pretty much immediately after delivery to my dealer. Over 4,000 miles later and the sills look brand new, even after several track schools. Just an FYI, for those who have clearbras on the sills or fronts of their cars and do autocrosses and track days where there are rub marks from cones or high speed debris and rubber from the track I've found the following to work well: First apply a good quality car cleaner like P21S Autowash to the affected area and let sit for about 5 min (but do not allow to dry!). Then rinse and use your nomral car wash. If this does not get it out, apply a citrus degreaser like Wurth Citrus Degreaser. This got out about 99% of the cone rub marks and rubber streaks on the clearbra including the side sills. Any remaining areas use a small (I mean small) amount of Goo Gone or adhesive remover and then immediately wash off with soap and water or something like Meguiar's Final Inspection. To get the clearbra really shiny, finish up with a product called "Plexus" which comes in an aerosol can.

Here is the result:

2008_Viper_w_Belanger_Headers_Exhaust_6_11_08_035.JPG

Reaction score
The clear bra works great on the side panels ..BUT i have scratches on the front clear bra.....They happen when i clean the bra with a wet micro fiber towel...Obviously power spraying the bra to get the bugs off this does not occur but it would be nice to just clean the the bra and not have scratches...look at the scratches next to the viper logo

stripe1.JPG

Have you tried anti static "PLEXUS" plastic cleaner,protectant and polish?
Those scratches should come out, or be much less noticeable.

You can try using something like: NANOWAX to fill and eliminate those marks. I just cleaned my daily driver PERFECTLY and used Nanowax for the entire car including the 3M ClearBra.

Viper rolls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a few chips on the rockers as well. I went to Drcolorchip.com and purchased a kit from them. Comes with paint, sealer and applicator. They have an online app that allows you to select the model, year and color of the car so it will match - so they say.

It's a bit cold in the garage (yes, I need a heater) to touch it up yet so I don't know how it will turn out.

Anyone try this already?

Thanks

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:2tu:
I have been getting road rash from day 1 on my rocker panels. Is Dodge covering the paint jobs to fix this?
I purchased some side skirts from Autoform and they have been on for over two years. No knicks no nothing there still perfect this is the way to go in my opinion.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plexus is the king for clear bra,it looks and smells like lemon pledge-i wonder if it is????:rolleyes:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had venturshield applied over the whole front end, side sills and just behind the rear tires. The shop that installed it was able to hide it almost completely. You can't tell the hood, fenders and bumber are covered except for a couple spots at the side of the fog lights and part of the grill openings.

You must be registered for see images attach

the place I used (premier) gave me instructions on how to clean the venture shield and some special cleaners and polish. They said not to use any polish that containes carnuba wax.

This stuff is really glossy too. I'm a believer.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i love venturshield,i have stripes and am super picky,it hugs right in there like a million bucks,u just had to massage the stripe a few 10 or 15 times and ur done.it looks like it isnt there,but like the upper pics,if u aint lookn,u aint seein!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21