Rockland Gears Tranzilla T-56...WOW!!!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As most of you know I blew my trans at Road Atlanta last month. After talking to some places and getting costs, I decided to go with the Tranzilla Viper trans from Rockland Gears. HOLY ****!!! THIS THING IS AWESOME!!!

It's a "built" transmission and while I obviously haven't had a chance to test the endurance of it yet, it feels incredible. THIS is the transmission that should have come in the Viper in the first place! The Viper T-56 has always been clunky and hard to shift, and not exactly smooth. I don't remember all of the specs to this thing off the top of my head, but I know they get rid of the shift forks and put different syncros in it. The shifts in it are so short and smooth, I'm having to re-learn how drive the car. Plus, the springs in it make it feel like it almost changes gears by itself (at least compared to before). I finally have a super slick shifting trans in the Viper with that true "snick, snick" feel to changing gears! Not to mention that I got it with .80 5th and .63 6th gears, which is another huge improvement.

I know I was "forced" into this upgrade, but I can honestly say this is the best upgrade I've done, period. It's not cheap, so it's not something I would do unless I had problems with my current trans, but I cannot get over how the car drives now!

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Did you get tranzilla ( TR 6060) or son of tranzilla ( T 56 with TR 6060 innards)? Did you get the built in pump option?

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still the single plate clutch. It's pretty new.

Ummm.....Yeah.

MGW shifter, but I had on my original transmission also.

Not 100% sure. It's the Magnum Tranzilla for the Viper. I know I had to buy a new yoke because it's got 31 spline shaft and I had to slot the trans mounts .45".
I didn't get the pump option.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you actually get above 4th gear on track? -Road Atlanta have that long a straight? ...are your rear gears a factor in that? I have stock gearing (trans and rear) and am only at the top of 4th at the end of the long straights (on two different tracks) Is RA that big? I know that revised 5th made the difference at the N'ring for the record on the 2010 Viper. .....Do you use 5th?.......wow.:omg:

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I run out of 4th at about 150 or so, so my choices have been to either hold it at redline for the last part of the straight or go to 5th. I went to 5th sometimes, but it honestly was a bit of a waste. I could keep pulling, but the drop off was so big, I usually just held 4th. I'll definitely be able to use 5th to keep pulling now.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....I always run out of 4th conveniently when I run out of straight. Works out well. I couldn't use the revised 5th/6th tranny unless I changed rear gears. just wondering if your 3.33's are letting you use 5th,...or the track. -I like the stock 5th/6th for highway travel though, as I ........well, nevermind...............uh...watch out for cops.

OP
OP
T

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RPM's in 6th are definitely up on the hwy now. Oh well, what's a couple MPG? ;)
I was having fun just leaving it in 6th and flooring it from 90. I couldn't believe how well it pulled.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. I always wondered how good these are because I run across their advertising in Hot Rod every month. Now I know where to go for transmission work should I need it. No leaks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960