Roe blower seized; time for Turbos???

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If money is no object, then obviously twin turbos are a great choice. However, at the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, I'd just ante up the $1000 or so and fix the blower, reinstall it myself, and keep the other $29,000 in the bank.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I'm going to get the car back on the road with the Roe. For now...

However with the new kit that Paolo is putting together for $10k it's starting to sound very tempting. Add in another $3k for an AEM and someone to tune it and I'm all set.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

However with the new kit that Paolo is putting together for $10k it's starting to sound very tempting. Add in another $3k for an AEM and someone to tune it and I'm all set.

I am happy with my Roe, but before I went with it, I talked to Paulo in 1/06. Although I opted to go the way I did, I came away with a very good impression of him and what he was putting together. Subsequently, I lined him up last fall with a friend of mine from these here parts. He has a FE car. Paulo delivered his car to him this past June 1st at a MCVO club event held up here in Escanaba. He brought with him his tuning guy for final 'adjustments.' Randy is very happy with his car. I believe his is the base kit, but Paulo could explain it better. Here are a few pics of this extremely well done CPE TT kit.

...as a side note: Paulo definitely likes to go REAL fast!! :omg: He displayed this need for speed again at Gingerman earlier this month.

Steve

IMG_2774.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil you use can also make a big difference in how easy it is to read. I use Red Line 50wt Racing and it's not at all difficult to read. That's the oil that Kenne Bell recommended as a good choice over Castrol 5w50. It lacks a lot of the additives needed in a 'street' engine - but since this is for compressor bearing duty only, those additives are a waste and it's better to have the extra lubrication properties.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The oil you use can also make a big difference in how easy it is to read. I use Red Line 50wt Racing and it's not at all difficult to read. That's the oil that Kenne Bell recommended as a good choice over Castrol 5w50. It lacks a lot of the additives needed in a 'street' engine - but since this is for compressor bearing duty only, those additives are a waste and it's better to have the extra lubrication properties.

Oh, I would like to hear Tom's input on this..................

:confused: :confused:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My guess is he'd say exactly what Jim Bell told me. Since the oil is just needed to lubricate the bearings in the supercharger, and isn't subjected to engine contaminants like blow-by fuel, soot, etc., why should it need to have the additives for those contaminants? The race oil is formulated without compromises for one thing - lubrication and wear protection.

Of course, if someone knows something about that oil that isn't common knowledge, please chime in. I've been running it in my Kenne Bell supercharger for over 100K miles now, and the unit still works like new. Probably would have been the same with the regular street Castrol Syntec 5w50, but the one thing I know for sure is mine has held up great with what I've used - and the oil is much easier to read on the dipstick (the reason for mentioning it in the first place).

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Woah!!!! I heard his starting price was like $18k or something for the kit, not including the AEM and tuning! If his price is in fact $10k for the base kit, I would be extremely interested in that!

How do I contact this dude!?

jay01m

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I would go with CPE over SVS anyday of the week. SVS has hurt a lot of people. IMHO. It is your, car and your money, please don't feel like I'm telling you what to do.

Oh don't worry, I know you're just making suggestions. I value the opinions either way.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bump.

Because of this thread, I decided I should probably double check my blower oil levels. I couldn't remember the last time I had done it, so I figured I should do it last night just to be on the safe side.

I have about 5,000 miles on the blower, I believe. I found that my blower oil level was about 18-21 ml low. I had to add maybe a tad over a tablespoon of oil to get it back to the recommended levels. Not much, but it makes a difference.

Moral of the story, DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR BLOWER OIL LEVELS EVERY SO OFTEN.

A nickel's worth of oil could save you $1000 repair bill.

GTS,
How is the R&R of the Roe coming? Any updates?

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sent it to PSE in Oklahoma. They've received it and will be able to give me a diagnosis by Monday.

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Forget the AEM. If you already have a VEC2/3 then use that! It is only above 75lb injectors that you really _need_ an AEM.

I predict an under 2k repair bill as well on the ROE. A not-so-expensive lesson in learning to check the oil more regularly. I've had several expensive lessons in my time as well... nothing to be ashamed of.

JD

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forget the AEM. If you already have a VEC2/3 then use that! It is only above 75lb injectors that you really _need_ an AEM.

I predict an under 2k repair bill as well on the ROE. A not-so-expensive lesson in learning to check the oil more regularly. I've had several expensive lessons in my time as well... nothing to be ashamed of.
But then won't I have to get a boost controller if I use the Vec2?

According to PSE the average repair cost is under $1k. I'm not so much ashamed as in uninformed. I just wished the instructions were a little more clear and concise.:dunno::rlz:

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there's a reason that the plastic screw-in dipstick isn't used as the primary oil plug? I was thinking that maybe there is a clearance issue with the hood where the plastic plug might be digging into the heat shield on the hood. In any event, in my humble opinion there should be a very obvious and easy to check (with no tools) dipstick used on these Autorotor blowers. The flush mounted hex plug looks cooler, but you can't beat the screw-in dipstick for convenience. I keep thinking about how many times I've checked my blower oil level and found it to be low - if I had to use a hex key to check it, I probably would have let it go for a lot longer.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:dunno:
I could not reply this weekend at home, because I guess I forgot my password, but "YES", there is a clearance issue. Do not close the hood with the plastic dipstick cap in place. I have a nice little hole in my hood pad to prove it. The installers knew it was close, and closed the hood before checking clearance dimensions with clay. I told them to put a ball of soft clay on top of the supercharger, and close the hood, and see how tall the clay stood after smooshing it. They did not do that, so I have a hole in my pad.

vegasviper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The fuy is a rip off. It took him 9 months to rebuild mine and had to rebuild it 3 times because it kept failing. I ended up spending over $4000

Send it to Ken Bell or just buy a new one

He was the worst experience i ever had