Roe oval cats

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to run B&B headers and cat back with Sean's 3" oval cats. Without bothering him with a phone call, does anyone know if the cats will need to be welded in?

I plan on coating the headers with Jet-Hot or something similar, should I also reinstall the stock heat sheild for extra protection?

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
no, they don't have to be welded. I did mine in my garage with basic handtools and some suggestions from Sean. Use strap mounts on both sides and all should be fine. I've had mine in for a year or so and no problems whatsoever. I highly recommend them and also removing the side mufflers while you have the side sills off. The sound is awesome! It pops and gurgles a lot and it's throaty. When getting on it hard in higher rpms, it truly sounds like a race car!

Good luck!

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh and yes I reinstalled my heat shields although it is a tight fit. I didn't bother to pop rivet them back in, I still have the small holes in my side sills. It might help ventilate the heat? yea! that's why I left them out! ya, that's it!

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Use strap mounts on both sides and all should be fine.I highly recommend them and also removing the side mufflers while you have the side sills off. The sound is awesome! It pops and gurgles a lot and it's throaty. When getting on it hard in higher rpms, it truly sounds like a race car!

Good luck!

Strap mounts....like the stainless band clamps dynomax makes? When you say to remove the side mufflers, that would mean no mufflers at all on a B&B system? Man that would be loud!!!

Thanks for the help.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I welded mine in, it is the best bet for longevity. They will need to be almost diagonally at a 50 degree angle. Do a test first to see if the sills go on before welding.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welded my Random Tech hi-flows at the stock header pipe location. Clamps for the rest of the way back on the Corsa cat-back.

cratica

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, I believe that's who made mine. Sean can tell you for sure.

Stock vipers have two side resonators and one rear muffler. The side ones are mounted just past the cats on either side of the car. All vipers were made this way except the 96 RT's. They came stock from the factory with the side reasonators and just the rear muffler. That's why they sound better. I didn't know this until after I purchased my car and wondered why it sounded much better than other vipers I had been in. Then, when I removed the cats and replaced with Roe's oval hi-flows, the sound improved even more. That's why I would suggest removing the side reasonators and only have the single rear muffler. Without that muffler, I think it would be far too loud in my opinion.

As for straps on the muffler, they have been holding up great and the system is very rigid so I don't think longevity would be a problem although of course welding would be a better solution.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there enough room to weld the cats on while they are installed in place? Seems like getting back behind them would be tight.

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
There is enough room with the Cats on, mine was done this way. I drove it down to the muffler shop to have it done.

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All you need to do it loosen the flex pipe connection to access the rear of the cat to be welded. If you have a flex pipe that is. Most aftermarket headers don't have a flex pipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187