Roe racing fan kit- worthwhile addition?

Abq Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe radiator cooling fan kit seems to be a great addition to help cool the engine temps.

How many of you have this mod, and is it recommended/needed on an '02 GTS?

Bill

Yellow Vegas Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put it on our GTS last year when we were having a lot of heat problems. ( I run at Willow Springs where daytime temps get well above 100 and during a 20 minute session we were having lots of overheating issues. Adding the ROE cooling kit actually made a significant difference. I recommend it.

S

SUN RA KAT

It comes with an adjustable timer. I have mine set at 4 1/2 minutes. If you're worried about running down the battery, then drive your Viper more to make sure the battery is recharged. I notice the fan doesn't come on after the engine is shut off when the outside temperatures are heater and windows up friendly.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had one on my Gen1 for several years with no problems. I also installed a toggle switch to manually turn the fans on. Works good when you are stuck in traffic on hot days. NO problems with battery drain .

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Roe fan kit works well. But just leaving it on, while the car is not running, will take it's toll on the battery, and take a long time to cool down the engine.
I do not have a timer switch on mine, but may install one later.

What I do is let the fan run for a couple minutes after the car is shut down, and then go back out, restart the car, cycle the cool water through the engine, and then the temp will really shoot down.

Just letting it run, without a restart, will take a LONG time to cool down the engine. And may kill your battery too! Although, the water in the radiator will be nice and COOL! :p

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have one that comes on when the coolant temp goes above 208 F, it will come on after I stop the car, but only for a few minutes and only if it is really hot outside.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put this kit, with the timer, on my street viper and on my race car

Buy the kit with the timer - this is a must
Set the timer to 10 minutes
Battery can handle this piece of cake
Then the kit serves as a heat sync (after the motor is shut off-it cools the motor off more evenly by running the fans for ten minutes- this is particularly important on aluminum motors, and applies to a street car but more so to a race car where temps can spike upward quite quickly.

NOW, THE FRONT AIR DAM KIT - this is not for your street car but if you are putting your car on track this kit is a must.
I have on my race car with a Fluidine radiator.
I know of race car guys that have put in the same Fluidine radiator, without the air dam kit and they only see minor improvment in cooling
They then put in the air dam kit and there is a big change.

LAST STEP
I removed the nose and built aluminum plates sealed in with spray-in insulating material so that all the air that comes in through the nose is directed through the radiator - you will be surprised to know just how much air can go round either side of the radiator and not through it.
This achieved a 30 degree drop in the max temp I was experiencing on track (ambiant air temp at the track 104 degrees)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one. Dunno if it was Roe or not. I took it off. One time the sensor came loose and shut the fan off while I was driving. Another time a wire came loose and had the same result. Real bad when that happens, the car just heats up worse on what is supposed to be cool down laps.

I have a fan in the pit that I drive up to.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had one. Dunno if it was Roe or not. I took it off. One time the sensor came loose and shut the fan off while I was driving. Another time a wire came loose and had the same result. Real bad when that happens, the car just heats up worse on what is supposed to be cool down laps.

I have a fan in the pit that I drive up to.

Hi Chuck,
Your ex-Justin Bell School car had a kit made by a Corvette shop in Orlando. I forget the name, but the guy does a lot of tuning.
Obviously, I remember the kits in the school cars as I was both making kits for our shop and doing instructing for the school in 2000. Theirs had some sort of spring looking wire end at the sensor. It was not one of our kits.

Otherwise, glad to hear that those with them, like them. We've made over 500 of them (had to buy 1,000 sensors to get the price down and still have about 450 +/- left). They do work as intended. I remember when we first released them and I had to prove a lot of testing for guys like Dean Word, showing how long the battery could run the fan and what the cylinder head temperature was (at the back of the head) at the end of 10 minutes, with and without the kit working.

Maybe we'll add them to the sale. If you haven't heard / seen our Viper holiday greeting, click here.

Regards,
Sean

fuelman

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have had the Roe Fan switch on for more than 2 years, no dead battery in that time and I live in Florida. It is a nice piece, it looks like a factory item. I also have the Roe cooling duct on my street Viper, I think it works great, as soon as you get rolling it dramatically drops the temp.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had mine for about 5 months on my 02 RT. The fan cycles on & off with no battery drain issues. If we are talking about the same thing, the fan kit will not cool your car while driving, it will just help cool it down after you have parked.

Andy