Roe setup - should I replace my stock half-shafts if I get drag radials

grnsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am finally considering new tires after many other upgrades (see signature). I have kept stock tires to this point (dangerous) only because of indecision about wheels. I have finally decided against wheels (for now) and want to continue the stock/sleeper look (how menacing can a green 95 look anyway). Having a stock looking Gen1 viper you would be amazed how many unsuspecting vettes/bikes fall prey to the casual green dodge.

The question is this: Will I likely break my stock half shafts with 700RWTQ if I get new drag radial tires? If so, is this the appropriate weak link in the chain to prevent more significant damage?

Thanks for your input.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Topic has been discussed many times before. With the amount of Torque you are making, switching to drag radials will definitely put a strain on your stock half shafts. Will you be spending alot of time at the drag strip?

Most of the time, real hard launches (high rpm/clutch dumping) in combination with drag radials have broken driveshafts.

The first thing you need to take into consideration is how hard you are going to launch/drive the car. Also factor in how often you plan to drag race the car.

You also asked whether improving the half shafts is the appropriate weak link to address. Most would argue replacing half shafts is far easier and less expensive than replacing your differential or tranny.

Based on the HP/TQ your car makes, perhaps going with the entry level set of unitrax wouldn't be bad idea. I can't remember what the recommended cut off is for the stock half shafts, but I'm pretty sure your about 50 hp/ft-lbs over what the stocks can handle.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The answer to your question is: yes

If the do break at the wrong time(while spinning very fast say in a burnout or shifting first to second), can cause major damage if you don't also have halfshaft loops. Upgrade and get some halfshaft loops, because they can break anytime under a hard launch. I broke mine on a stock 96RT with only bolt-ons and using Kumho V700s.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never taken my car to the track after the Roe setup, but YES change those half shafts! $800 or $$$$$ if you break things and possibly wreck? Your choice... choose carefully.

2001 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I broke my stocker on Kumhos at the track shifting from 1st to 2nd...didn't wreck or anything close to it. It stayed intact until I stopped and started to roll again.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The half-shafts are still about the only thing stock on my car. Many launches with the BFG's and still no problems. Yea, yea, I know. It's not if,.. it's when..

MK

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
userSRTbro_