Roller rocker install question

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our local Viper tech was saying that he thought the Mopar roller rockers were more than a simple bolt on install. He was saying he thought there was work to be done to the heads themselves to install the rockers. When I installed rockers on my Dak R/Ts 360 it was a simple bolt on. Isn't that the case with the Viper's V-10 as well?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The instructions state to remove the heads and mill down the rocker stands. You DO NOT have to do this. Simply get a longer pushrod that makes the correct geometry for the set up. Most us 7.65-7.70" one piece pushrod. You can get a set from either Jegs or Summtracing for around $100 a set. Have you tech call either Larry Macedo or Chuck Tator, they will help him out over the phone. :2tu:

JimT 99RT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the correct length push rods the Mopar (T&D Brand) rockers are bolt on. The valve covers have to be modified slightly for clearance. I watched the install but did not do it myself.

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! So, should the pushrod length be 7.65 or 7.70?

On the mod to the valve covers is it just a matter of dimpling the oil baffle in the top of the cover as on the 360 Magnum engine?

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
duh...sorry for the stupidity! I never had to replace the push rods the one time I changed the rockers.

Does anyone know the correct length for the push rods for a '00 Viper engine with the Mopar roller rockers? I'd like to avoid leaving the car with the tech while the rods get ordered and shipped.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the mod to the valve covers is it just a matter of dimpling the oil baffle in the top of the cover as on the 360 Magnum engine?

The other way is to shave the screw knobs approx. 8mm before installing the oil baffles back on. Have some one with experience do the RR, and you will enjoy the extra hp.

SingleMalt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
duh...sorry for the stupidity! I never had to replace the push rods the one time I changed the rockers.

Does anyone know the correct length for the push rods for a '00 Viper engine with the Mopar roller rockers? I'd like to avoid leaving the car with the tech while the rods get ordered and shipped.

It really is best to measure the pushrod length on your engine, regardless of what others with the same engine have used. Like Mike said, the length his car required weren't the norm.

Mike

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't take a short cut, this is a two part process. You HAVE to measure the push rod length first. The sweet spot on the Mopar/T&D's is only about a .050 range. The max down is two full turns which is .100. DO NOT go below two full turns down or you will have problems. Have your tech measure the push rod and have Summit do next day air, they will have the push rods in stock.

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Pushrod length may vary quite a bit between engines, it depends on the base circle of the cam and the valve installed height. We have five different sizes we use. Many performance heads have a longer valve which requires raising the shafts and running a even longer pushrod.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Jack or Daniel Cragin,
I remember a post a while back that stated if the pushrod was sunk in to it's deepest point(safely) there was a larger pickup in HP. Any truth to that, anybody?

OP
OP
M

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jack B - thanks for the info.

Dan - do you guys keep the pushrods in stock or order them as needed?

We were going to do this on the side since I was thinking the install was only a few hours but it sounds like I may need to the car at the dealership with the Viper tech for a couple of days.

fast?

Enthusiast
Reaction score
very easy install. what viper tech? i have an adjustable pushrod if you need one.