Rough Idle 96 rt10

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I purchased a 96rt10 a month ago and had had new plugs installed,efi cleaned.pcv valve replaced,new fuel pump and new k&n air filters.
The car has 38k miles,it starts just fine and usually idles around 500rpm is that normal?
Sometimes the idle spikes from 500 to 1200 or will drop almost to 250 and jump up around 1k.
Any ideas what might be going on here?
Any help would be appreciated

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Usually idle fluctuations like that on a fuel injected car are from intake or vacuum leaks and the idle air contoller is trying to compensate. I'd start by checking for vacuum leaks.

OP
OP
K

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
COol thanks I'll check it out..The only thing that baffles me is that it just happens randomly.... doesn't idle that rough all the time

OP
OP
K

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay first thing I'm going to do is replace the battery I'm sure its original I had to jump the car once and when I picked it up from having the service work done they had it on a charger because the battery was dead.
So I'll start there and I gotta say this place is great thanks for the help.

V

Venomiss

Okay first thing I'm going to do is replace the battery I'm sure its original I had to jump the car once and when I picked it up from having the service work done they had it on a charger because the battery was dead.
So I'll start there and I gotta say this place is great thanks for the help.
Maybe think about joining the VCA that supports the website?-Joining the website is not the same thing.;)
Joining the VCA gets you subscription to Viper Magazine, an avatar on this site, the ability to enter the raffle for the 2008 viper along with many other perks. There is a thread in the new owners section a bit down on the main page with all the information.
Northern California has a very active region with a cruise to Hearst Castle coming up.
Happy Viper driving and welcome!

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 96 RT/10 had an erratic idle, which turned out to be a bad ground wire to the TPS. The car would constantly rev itself up at redlights (jump from 500RPM to 1200RPM usually) and was totally embarrasing. I dont think this is the same problem your having, but if it is, let me know and I'll find the link to the thread that shows how I fixed the problem. This is totally off topic, but what color Viper did you get?

OP
OP
K

kevin96rt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just changed the battery and sprayed some throttle body cleaner and it really seemed to help.When I first start it rpm is around 750.....after a few revs drops around 500 but still pretty smooth idle.Is 500 too low?
Speedluvr My 96rt10 is white with blue stripes...Can you send me that link so I can check it out?
Venomiss I do plan on joining just got the car and just learned of the sites and VCA