Rough Idle ?

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of you guys out there have had your SRT 10's longer than I have so I would like to draw on your knowledge and experience with the car. My car seems to run extremely well, but idles a little rough when sitting in neutral after thorough warmup. I'm sure that the car is not supposed to run dead smooth with the type of engine we have, but at what point should I bring it in for a tune. I have 1200 miles on the car, so it shouldn't need to be tuned at this point. Any expert advice as to how much rough idle I should have.

Quicksilver

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '04 does the same thing. I think it's perfectly normal - if there was something wrong I think throttle response would be affected and mine has got throttle response like gangbusters.....

OP
OP
V

VipeRicK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, both of you have Silver just like Me. Really, thanks for the input. Just wanted to be sure I was thinking the same way, figured it was normal

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a new 05 Commemorative Edition and it idles a little rough to me also. It must be the nature of the beast.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't consider mine a "rough" idle. To me that implies that something is wrong with the motor. I would characterize mine as a "lumpy idle".

That harkens back to the good old days when you had such a wild cam that it wouldn't create enough vacuum at idle to work the power brake booster, and any idle speed below 1200 rpms caused the engine to die because there was so much valve overlap on the cam.

Us older guys remember those days. My viper takes me back to those days.

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rough idle is normal. When at an idle with no loads on the motor, the PCM will lean out the fuel mixture [no need for a lot of fuel there].

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21