ROYAL PURPLE

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WHAT DO U GUYS THINK OF ROYAL PURPLE ENGINE OIL? SHOULD I DISCONTINUE USE OF IT OR KEEP ON USING IT?

jdoc7

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No personal experience with it. My brother-in-law swears by it and that's all he uses in his cars. Mobil 1 is factory fill and cheaper, why use anything else?

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're always better off using cheap oil and changing it more often than "miracle arm and a leg cost oil" and run it more.

If you're seriously psychotic about engine wear, spend your extra cash on the cost of changing your oe oil more often.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ahem. Oil co-developed by a Viper owner and tested in a bunch of true performance engines. www.liquidcosworth.com

Let's put oils in a few categories; the ones that look for fuel economy and emissions system protection, the ones that are built to extend oil drains, and then the category we like- to make the engine perform and last.

And while other oils are developed by an oil company and a car company compromising over a formulation, Cosworth can get engineers and formulators to agree on what works.

SCCA members, check your benefits section for source codes... I also suggest signing up for news and promotions; there will be some brand awareness programs that (obviously) will entice you to visit the site.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
when do u guys change your oil. if changed it before i stored it. Is that the right thing to do. or do i leave it when i store and change it when i take it out. or do i do both. can anyone help me out there, im taking out the car soon and i would hate to do something im not supposed to do. My mecha nic told me that it doesnt matter. Do u all agree?

trainville

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I was told that with these 100% synthetic oils, they don't deteriorate over time like conventional oil. Therefore you only need to change them at the mileage intervals. So in that theory, you could let it sit for 8 months with no ill effects. That makes me a little bit leary, but is good news considering the price of a Mobil 1 oil change. Is this still true guys/gals?

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It may be true the synthetics don't break down the same way as conventional oils but depending on where you live you get condensation in an engine from cold weather operation so absence of mileage doesn't necessarily mean the oil is still fully functional.
However I personally would not change synthetic oil more than once a year on a car that doesn't get driven much. If you are super anal you can do the conventional oil three times a year instead, but MIHO modern engines and oils do not need to be changed as often as lubricant manufacturers would have you believe. How many worn out engines do you see with less than 200,000 miles on them? Even small motors that have to spin like crazy last longer than that. And if your high performance engine fries before then it probably has a lot more to do with abuse or detonation or cooling issues than whether you went 4k or 8k between oil changes.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Find a site that has the Royal Purple video - it is very interesting. I used Mobil 1 prior to Royal Purple, therefore, can compare the two. I have also always used the 100# mag-filter. After a oil change I cut the filter apart to check for debris. The Royal Purple oil change basically results in a filter without any metal in the filter material, much cleaner then previously experienced with Mobil 1.

OP
OP

22YRSOLD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow thats a very interesting expirience. very helpfull to the rest of us. im sticking to royal purple. im just not very sure on the oil filter though. the last oil change i got a real crappy filter was put on. dont know if i should get it replaced or not. but next one will be k and n