RPM Shifting Methods

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: How hard do you drive your SRT 10 without harming the engine? Example, while driving on highway curving roads, would you drive in 3rd gear at 70 MPH at 3,500 RMPs for a prolonged period of time withour harming the engine?

Question 2: When you are driving normally in the city, do you wind 1st gear out to 3,000 RPMs or 4,000 RPMs before going to 2nd? Do you wind the gears out?

Last edited:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Question: How hard do you drive your SRT 10 without harming the engine? Example, while driving on highway curving roads, would you drive in 3rd gear at 70 MPH at 3,500 RMPs for a prolonged period of time withour harming the engine?

Question 2: When you are driving normally in the city, do you wind 1st gear out to 3,000 RPMs or 4,000 RPMs before going to 2nd? Do you wind the gears out?

Patrick????:quack:

Jsparks

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With clean oil running threw her veins you should be able to run it at 5000rpms on the freeway all night at not have a problem!!

SweetRed04

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Viper should be able, just like ANY Corvette or other car, run at any RPM at or below the redline as long as you have fuel.

My '69 Corvette turns 3800 RPM at 75 and I have run thousands of miles at that speed.

In my daily Viper driving I kiss the redline every day during spirited shifting.

Last edited:

Disturbed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If I've just taking it easy on the street, I keep the revs from 1000rpm to 2000rpm. The rest of the time the motor lives from 4500-6000rpm.

Your car must have something wrong with it if you feel you "NEED" to shift at such a high rpm while just driving. I remember when my ACR was stock it had more tq in 5th gear @2000 than most street cars have in 3rd @4500

OP
OP
V

Viper 55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like from your input that it really comes down to shifting and driving styles. I grew up in 1968 with a 440 GTX. I learned while driving around town, to drive shifting gears just at the point where the car would pull back. That was considered the natural shifting point which would prevent blowing gaskets, rings and basic wear and tear on your engine. High gear wind outs were for racing only.

Here is where the discussion started: I was told that my 2006Viper's engine is built different then the 1960 muscle cars and that the Viper engine is designed to take the higher level of shifting points and for prolonged periods and that by doing so will not adversely effect the engine. That winding the gears out while driving around town or on the highway will not harm the car.

I have noticed that younger drivers (in their 20's and 30's) drive winding their gears out about 1,000 RMP's higher then us older stick drivers. I would like to know for sure that if the Viper engines are really designed different then the 1960 high performance muscle cars. It just doesn't feel right winding these gears out above 3,500 in first gear, while driving around town. My older ear is telling me that listening to that winding out is just asking for future trouble.

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
FYI...My SRT-10 QC Ram turns 3K rpm at 80, and has 4:56 gears in a 4 speed auto. I think the gen III engines can hamdle high rpm's.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let me put it to you this way. I have NEVER hit the skip shift on any of my cars. I always shift at 3500/4500+. Never had any issues.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Around town, by myself commuting, Ill shift around 3k rpms, leave the stop light easy and smoothe. Ill sometimes use 5th gear while cruising on freeway at 80mph, if Im on a phone call. It helps lower the rpms,so the car is not as loud.

Otherwise, most of my 13k miles have been tire burning, redline shifting, racing buddies, 2-3 shift on freeways spinning up the tires as I shift. On the freeways following eachother in either 3rd or 4th gear, just waiting for one of us to punch it.
Never a problem, never a sign of motor weakening. Just drive it how you want. Enjoy!!!

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems kinda silly to be cruising around town with the RPM's at 3500-4000 motor roaring when you can drop it down a gear or two and be at 2500. Unless you like to make a lot of noise.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Around town, by myself commuting, Ill shift around 3k rpms, leave the stop light easy and smoothe. Ill sometimes use 5th gear while cruising on freeway at 80mph, if Im on a phone call. It helps lower the rpms,so the car is not as loud.

Otherwise, most of my 13k miles have been tire burning, redline shifting, racing buddies, 2-3 shift on freeways spinning up the tires as I shift. On the freeways following eachother in either 3rd or 4th gear, just waiting for one of us to punch it.
Never a problem, never a sign of motor weakening. Just drive it how you want. Enjoy!!!

hey MikeR:quack: what rpm are you at when you are redline shifting?

thanks

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was told to take the motor past the max hp line which in my car is 5500 rpm to around 5800 then shift bringing it back down to 5500 rpm for max power. I am running today at Infinenion raceway. I will post my times.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey MikeR:quack: what rpm are you at when you are redline shifting?

thanks

I use the force. Its just something your born with.
But you can process the rate of shift+ RPM = Shift point. Or just get a dictionary and do the math.:moon: :mf: :*****:

And yes, thats you in between the two butts.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:drive:
Mike
Went to the drags this afternoon at Infineion. First run sucked tha big one I didn't hookup till mid 3rd gear but, I was slow enough for a second run then they sent me home to get a helmet.
It was pretty funny they told me I was dogging it whatever that means. They told me it was to fast to drive without a helmet and they had issues with it being a vert. I even have a real rollbar. They told me to come back for the last run next week with a helmet and then gave me my money back. I laughed all the way home. It sure feels good to not have to look for cops...........in the mirror I need some gripping tires...... any ideas? drag tires? I guess but, I think then I need to go to 18" rears
Chris

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
:drive:
Mike
Went to the drags this afternoon at Infineion. First run sucked tha big one I didn't hookup till mid 3rd gear but, I was slow enough for a second run then they sent me home to get a helmet.
It was pretty funny they told me I was dogging it whatever that means. They told me it was to fast to drive without a helmet and they had issues with it being a vert. I even have a real rollbar. They told me to come back for the last run next week with a helmet and then gave me my money back. I laughed all the way home. It sure feels good to not have to look for cops...........in the mirror I need some gripping tires...... any ideas? drag tires? I guess but, I think then I need to go to 18" rears
Chris

First, definately get a helmet. your not supposed to run quicker then 14 seconds without a helmet. Seems though they may not be as tough as i thought. I heard they dont let Verts run much at all at infineon. Im a little scared to drive there to get turne away. I dont have a real roll bar yet,thouh i have told tech guys at other tracks it has factory built roll hoops and they said ,"ok thats fine".

So most of my runs have been at Sac raceway. I posted awhile back about it. First few runs it was cold and I spun thru 3rd gear, even spun as I grabbed 4th thru the finish. Terrible times of 13 seconds, just couldnt hook. Once track warmed up a little, my times dropped. I also lowered the pressure in the runflats to 22-24psi. I did a small burnout to put a little heat in tires. Started running low 12's and then 11.8's. With some 1.8 60 fts.
Id say, just be easy out of the hole and make it up the last half of the track if its cold. If its too cool, dont bother going,you'll just get frustrated. But next time you go, let me know, maybe I'll make the drive up there.

Its definately fun as you say, when you dont have to worry about Cops or traffic. And as far as doggin it, they mean you werent going all out, cause if you run too fast in a vert they will throw you of track. I gave my stepdad a ride down the track once. They told me i couldnt go faster then a 14sec run, but if I wanted to give a passenger a ride, that was the rule. So I did a little smoke show out of the hole, grabbed 2nd real hard spinnin up tires, hit 3rd and then hit the brakes. I ran like a 14.5 at 80 mph. But my stepdad had a blast, it was his first time in a Viper.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mike everyone I talked to getting ready to run told me that I would have a problem hooking up with the tires I have. how right they were. Had wheel hop also in 2nd so I am going to try to work on that with some mounts. Your were very correct about DC performance computer mods. The power across was amazing. I could really feel the difference on the track. Just need to practice kepping it on the ground. I realize it takes practice. I might go next wed but not sure. there not keen on verts.
Chris

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
mike everyone I talked to getting ready to run told me that I would have a problem hooking up with the tires I have. how right they were. Had wheel hop also in 2nd so I am going to try to work on that with some mounts. Your were very correct about DC performance computer mods. The power across was amazing. I could really feel the difference on the track. Just need to practice kepping it on the ground. I realize it takes practice. I might go next wed but not sure. there not keen on verts.
Chris

I had bad wheel hop with runflats. Especially when cold. I started easing off the line and shifting smoothe and firm into 2nd, but not power shifting or it would hop like crazy.

After getting the PS2's, there was a huge change in wheel hop ,bascially none. Ran some good times on the PS2's Hooked up better and and I could powershift and it didint bounce around. Now that I have added the Motons its even better. If I do get wheel spin, its smoothe, not bouncy like wheel hop. I have not been back to track with Motons yet to see if they yield better results. Id probably change my street/hills settings, to make the motons more drag friendly, get some lift out of front end.
So before mounts, Id say get PS2's and Motons. I know they cost alot more then mounts. But for everyday I think you will be happy.

Canyon707

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I spoke with DC this morning on this issue and he told me that there are many things but the best fix is tires like you did. the second thing is a quaife rearend, and third were good shocks. but he did say tires are #1

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang