RT/10 Bashing by our GTS so called Brothers

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Over the past 3 years now of Viper ownership I have come to notice that there is a very distinct hint of dislike from a good many GTS owners towards the RT. This defiantly does not go for all but, there are many.

Little things always come up like a GTS can do this a GTS can do that. Never will they just use the word Viper to symbolize all our cars, instead they purposely go out of there way to make sure to implicate that ONLY a GTS can get the task done.

On the other hand I have never seen any RT/10 owners go out of there way to insult our hardtop relatives. I am wondering is this a kind of envy from the GTS guys? Or do you really believe that the GTS is that much more capable than the RT is?

PS. Mike Burnton, is going to be one of the first to come on here and tell me that I know nothing and that he is God of Vipers. And he also happens to be one of the worst culprits of RT bashing, perhaps its time to buy one Mike.

Please don't be a Mike and make this a calm discussion and not a flame topic.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:

You GTS owners ****.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh yeah! You RT/10 owners ****.

Reaction score
Don't let them bother you. I've had both. I prefer the RT/10 because no one comes up to that one and says "Hey, is that the new 'Z' car?...". The RT/10 looks and acts the way the Viper was originally designed. Most books on Vipers show the RT/10 on the cover, as it is the most recognizable. I still prefer the GTS/ACR for the track, but used an RT/10 as my "show car" for it's looks alone...

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Russ, I've owned an RT/10 and now a GTS. I know what you're saying. I felt a bit "less than" when I owned the RT, like I had more of a cruiser than an all out racer.

I don't like C5 verts much either even though they are almost step in step with a coupe C5.

Even non-viper owners view the GTS as faster. I think it must come from the GenI cars all being RT's and the GTS all being GenII's. The RT's still unfairly hold the GenI stigma I guess.

randall

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i like the R/T's,i'm just too lazy for a removable top
smile.gif
:

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExecUtron Technologies:
I prefer the RT/10 because no one comes up to that one and says "Hey, is that the new 'Z' car?...".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Z car????
confused.gif
shake.gif

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uh oh!! better duck for cover...

i think the animosity comes from some of the guys that are ******** racers and feel that a car with out a roof is not a "race inspired street car".. its just a cruiser.. its the same mentality that will fight you to the death if you say something the least bit negative about a viper on the track ("how can i race and hold my drink at the same time?")

i dont think any of the posers have a problem with the RT
smile.gif
.. i can think of two guys off hand that road race their rt's.. Chuck and Socal Soup Man...

for the record, i will take either body style if anyone would like to donate a viper to the viper for eddie foundation.. maybe someone with a viper to spare might feel a little generous (HINT HINT)..
smile.gif
supergrin.gif

smile.gif

- eddie -

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by artman:
Z car????
confused.gif
shake.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You must be registered for see images

i dont see the resemblance either... but hey, some people are stupid..

very nice GTS by the way.. black with silver.. yummy..

- eddie -

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a folicly challenged American, I take offense to all GTS owners being bald. Strike that...no I don't..I'm bald no matter what I drive. And, with a bald head, I would rather not get the sunburn that the RT provides. Seriously, I have had 2 GTS and one RT. they are both great. That said, I think an RT HAS to have sidepipes. Anyway, I just prefer the GTS a bit more than the RT.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I recently sold my 94 rt for a GTS. I totally loved the RT. The car rocked. The GTS is sweet too. I'm not sure why I switched, it was a bit of an impulse buy. Perhaps it was the new car smell that sealed the deal. The GTS is more refined than my Gen I and I like that but if I had the choice, I would have kept the Gen I too. I liked how delightfully spartan the car was. No frills. Just a sweet body and a huge engine.

So what do you guys think about the Gen III?

...ducking for cover...

CAP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ExecUtron Technologies:
"Hey, is that the new 'Z' car?...". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT? Yeah, that happens to me all the time.
rolleyes.gif

Hey guys, it's just a preference. And don't I know that preferences change? When I had the '96 RT I went out of my way (although it was mostly subconcious) to convince myself that the roadster was the true form for a Viper. It worked. That was then.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Russ M
Chill
I think they are all great. You know that at best we are only 14,000 world wide. Subtract for the ones in the trash pile.

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Monnieh Wrote- "The RT's still Unfairly hold the Gen 1 Stigma I Guess"

The Gen I stigma is ********. It's all personal preference!!!!

Gen 1 Stigma:

There Old
Head Gaskets Leak
Soft Top Leaks
No Real Windows
No AC (not standard)
50 horse power less than Gen 2- But with Filters and Tubes, Cat back exhaust, Roller Rockers & Gears. Its Very, very, very close

Sounds more to me like Gen II guys lookin' down at Gen I guys.
bsflag[1].gif
shake.gif

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:

So what do you guys think about the Gen III?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

puke.gif

Bhuns16

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
All GTS owners are bald. Because an RT/10 blows their toupee off!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I resent that. I'm 25 years old with a full head of hair and I have a GTS.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I think initially, when the 96 GTS came on the scene, it had a lot of advantages over the RT of the same year. It had the 450 HP motor, aluminum forged suspension, (less bump steer), power windows, and a nice quiet roof. Whereas the 96 RT still had the 415 HP Gen 1 motor, welded pipe control arms, and a real fun to use top.

This created an early spin in the public's mind that the GTS is faster, better handling, more comfortable, and useful in inclement weather.

Once people beleive something, they don't stop. There is a kind of momentum set in place by first impressions. That perception persisted, even after the RT got the full Gen 2 setup, including suspension, 450 HP motor, and a better removeable hard top. (Albeit a two man operation)

The original 1992 Viper RT 10 knocked my spine out of whack, and made me unhappy with my Vette. It was something REALLY different on the scene. Dodge Different!

I will always be fond of the RT, but since I couldn't afford a Viper until 2001, I got the coupe, because I really like the boy-racer lines, and its quieter, soes ah kin listen to mah tunes!

Shelby Daytona knock-off! And I love it!

If you wanna know who the people are that frustrate us after every purchase, its the designers and marketers. As soon as you buy something, it has more HP the next year. Then they discontinue that model, unitl you feel like you've been left behind, and they come out with something else that makes you unhappy with what you've got. This is how the American auto industry is set up, and their marketing technique of changing body styles every few years, like fashion designers, is no accident. It's designed to sell as many cars as possible.

Get over it, and just keep what you like, and enjoy it. Put a blower on it, and surprise the next new model of whatever to roll off the show room floor!

King GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SmokinV10:
puke.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No! More like...

puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif

SmokinV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by King GTS:

No! More like...

puke.gif
puke.gif
puke.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

RIGHT ON TREY!!!
bounce.gif

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vic:

If you wanna know who the people are that frustrate us after every purchase, its the designers and marketers. As soon as you buy something, it has more HP the next year. Then they discontinue that model, unitl you feel like you've been left behind, and they come out with something else that makes you unhappy with what you've got. This is how the American auto industry is set up, and their marketing technique of changing body styles every few years, like fashion designers, is no accident. It's designed to sell as many cars as possible.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well progress is progress. There is nothing wrong with that. I don't want the technology of a 55 chevy because the car companys don't want to make anyone feel left out. ...and of course it sells more cars. There are always guys out there who have to have the best thing out and go nuts if someone has something better or faster. Do you think they are making up for something?

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Makara:
Do you think they are making up for something?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in the case of the Chevy boys, it's a clear cut case of Clown Shoe Envy!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good grief Russ, If you,ve got nothing better to do, go start a fight on the Corvette or Supra forum! Did you get out of the wrong side of the bed or what? You come on and flame every GTS owner and then say I hope this is a calm discussion!? I've been a GTS owner for over 2 years, I've been on this board for 3 years (first year lurking and learning) I've participated in every event I could find and I HAVE NEVER HEARD A COMMENT MADE BY A GTS OWNER THAT WAS NEGATIVE ABOUT AN RT10, what in the world are you talking about? I must have wasted at least 2 weeks of Bill Pembertons life with my buying decision...and the only problem was RT10 vs GTS, I just could not make up my mind! And why would you come down on Brunton? His arguments have been SRT vs the whole last generation, I haven't heard him say squat aabout gts vs rt10. Hey Russ, just come clean here and tell us what set you off to start this thread anyway, what GTS owner made negative comments about the RT10? Who hurt your feelings? Come on man, I STILL WANT AN RT10, and I'll have one, sooner or later, I even want it to be Gen 1, name names, we'll throw the sumbitch in the fountain or something at VOI!

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since Chuck has already posted, I'll chime in...We all know that most of us RT'rs have taken EXTREME POSING to a whole new level...rugged, almost obscene good looks with the top off, the sole reason for Zaino's very existence, yet just as lethal as the GTS on the street...and even the GTS guys will admit that the RT's are flat out babe magnets!
supergrin.gif

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the RT/10 is a preference, but isn't everything a preference.
yesnod.gif

I don't care if any GTS owner dislikes the RT it's their preference,
but don't tell me how superior your GTS is over my RT/10, because then I'll prefer to think of you as an A$$hole.
laugh.gif

Race your GTS and be proud of it but remember, not eveyone gives a Rats A$$ about racing.

Some of us are happy just enjoying our choice of owning a fine MOPAR.

I am particularly proud of my Viper because it is America's FINEST Sports Car!
patriotx.gif

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
My RT/10 is as fast as your GTS.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My GTS is faster than your RT/10.