RT/10 or GTS What is your opinion?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering why the GTS owners decided to buy the GTS rather than the RT/10 and why the RT/10 owners decided to buy an RT/10 instead of a GTS. Which one do you like best and why? I'm asking because i like them both and i'm about to buy one and i think i'm leaning more toward a RT/10 because you can take the top off, but the GTS's are bad a** looking! :headbang: :usa:

steel snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't lose either way. I like the openess of my RT10. Sat in a GTS and decided it felt a little confining. In the summer time I figure I'll get a little heat relief in my RT10. It's strictly personal preference

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<< leaning more toward a RT/10 because you can take the top off, but the GTS's are bad a** looking! >>

You already took my answer! I already have a convertible, so I didn't feel like I needed to fill that void. I preferred the GTS because I also thought "GTS's are bad a** looking!" Could not have put it any better.

Hope to see you cruising IL SOON! :2tu:

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the RT first because I wanted a convert. I like the open feel to the car. I think they both look badasss, so I decided it was best to have both..................... like TVC
:D :D :D

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tops off motoring all the way! these are mostly fair weather cars and if you are only going to use them in good weather the top may as well be off.

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just sold my 94 RT/10 and bought an 02 RT/10 so i supose i prefer the open top..
The other advantage of the RT is roof on or off.......
But the GTS is the muts nuts though..
Baz :2tu: :2tu:

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I REALLY dislike having the sun beat down on me when driving (I don't even like when it shines on me through a sunroof) so an RT/10 would be crazy. Down-side of a GTS is that the exhaust is noisier when you are in the car since the hatch area is not closed up like the RT/10 trunk.

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't own one and won't for some time to come, but here's my take on which I like best:
I arranged some rides in a GTS and thought "boy this feels great Ima buy one of these later".
Then I got a ride in a gen 1 R/T10 and that totally changed my point of view :) There's nothing like the wind-in-the-hair feeling going for top speed on the highway, storming in from the left lane and banning people to the right lane :D :p When the weather is nice it's a lot more fun to be able to have the top off like the owner of that R/T10 had at that day.

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score
GTS...like the look, lower cd, faster top speed, higher body rigidity. Don't like the open cockpit environment, too much wind buffeting and distraction in general. Boils down to personal preference. Both are great cars. Good luck with your choice. :2tu:

RSM18583

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my '93 RT/10 cause it was the Baddest Dog(err..snake) on the block at the time..still is!
I love rag tops, and to my eye, the RT/10 with top removed just has all the right looks.In a 2 seater like the RT/10, i feel too 'confined' with the top on...top down is way cool..plus, with the great new removable(and stowable) hard top options in aftermarket land, you can have the best of both worlds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/sixgunshorty35717/vip1.jpg

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both of them are hands down the baddest cars built to this day south of 100k.

My preference is an RT because I live in a climate where top down is acceptable most of the year. Not to mention that the RT is trully the most unique looking car on the road, you know its a viper from a mile away.

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you like open air driving go for RT10, if you hate sun beats on you while driving go for the GTS. Either one will give you the excitement. Good luck.

Gerald Levin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the influence on their significant other. My maven premadona wife would NEVER EVER step into a convertible. After spending an hour+ (at least) on her hair, aint no friggin way. No RT's here.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the influence on their significant other. My maven premadona wife would NEVER EVER step into a convertible. After spending an hour+ (at least) on her hair, aint no friggin way. No RT's here.
For many people, that may be a the EXACT reason to buy an RT/10, ya know? :cool:

One thing people seem to forget - you can put a top on an RT/10, but, for a GTS, other than that other thread where someone asked about putting a sunroof (or T-tops) in a GTS, you have no such option. Many won't care, but the RT/10 does indeed give you the option.

And, for some of us, the lines of the RT/10 are much preferable.

Matthew Klinger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't go wrong either way both are awesome. I was in your shoes just a little bit ago too, first leaned towards the RT/10 for the same reasons, but I bought my GTS cause I think it looks bad A$$... I owned a T-top car prior and rarely took the tops out and thats why I went for the GTS... If someone has a mod to get the GTS's top off I'm there :)

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In 1999 when I was looking to by my car, it was either going to be a silver RT/10 or a black with silver stripes GTS... I happened to wonder into a dealership that had a silver with 26 miles on it... that was the end of that.

I like them both, and sometimes ponder trying to find someone to trade my car with (for a black with silver stripes GTS or ACR)...

But I love it either way.

But if anyone wants to trade, i'd consider it. But your car has to be close to 1000rwhp like mine. Can't ever go back to stock... :)

JD

AG98RT10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
RT/10 all the way here. I never seriously thought about a coupe, as I've got to have the ability to take the top off in nice weather. If I was buying a purpose-built road racer, though, GTS - no question. I think they are a bit tighter and you don't have to hassle with a hard top, and its expense, or a roll cage, to do serious track days and Viperdays.
I've since acquired a hard top just to be able to run Viperdays, track days, and for those rare winter days when you can actually take the snake out.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the RT/10 because I liked its styling more. Regardless of me using the top or not, I wanted the RT/10. Many locals know, I rarely take the top off anyway; unless it is a cool day or at night. ;)

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well of course when you can't decide and your wife really wants the subaru you could always put the two together! :D
You must be registered for see images attach

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I only bought one, I wanted to get the new icon of american muscle. Like the AC cobra which is the original icon of big american muscle, the Viper is the next best thing...so top off and red...the only way to go for me. With the new trunck tops out there...I can't see going to the GTS. Both though are awesome looking.

CO GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
viper GTS-R.......
that's just wrong! now i will have nightmares.... kids playing nintendo in the BACK of the viper..... evil man.
what's wicked is that that thing is a 4-door.
who would take the time to draw such a thing?

01sapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never seen a convertible in any make of car that I have liked ( especially with the top up ). I don't even like T-Tops and the like. I just like the body lines of the hard top cars...

ArlyDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The design of the GTS is unrivaled compared to any car ever made for any amount of money. This is all in opinion of course. And I think the back of the RT/10's without a wing on look like poo.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTS because of the looks. I don't really like the rear end of the RT/10, but it does look a lot better when you put a wing on it.

I also picked GTS so that I could have a better stereo environment and still be able to go to Sam's Club with it.

Still, my wife's Sebring convertible is a lot of fun, so imagine double the horsepower and still having the open air feeling...