RT10 or GTS....why did you buy your model??

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RT/10, wind in your hair and get a good tan!!!

P.S. I am also an avid racer in both drags & road course, so get the hardtop and throw that theory out the window.

phiebert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No flames please from GTS'ers. I also race with my RT/10, performance is equal to the GTS because they are the same car except for cosmetics (Jon B will probably correct me on that statement but...).

For me it was about looks and wanting a convertible. I think there is nothing sweeter looking than a RT/10 with the top off and windows out. And if I'm really set on a hard top, well I can get one of those, but the GTS'ers can't cut their roof off!

PS. Socal, so that is what my car would look like clean! (Just admiring your avitar).

King RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A RT10 hard top is like having both a GTS and RT 10. You can not beat having the top out and cruising about. I take the top off every chance I get!

Sniper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought mine because of look. Love the side pipes and the look from the back of the car sends shivers down your spine with the hardtop on! Look at www.elams.org under events-Crabfeast 2000. There's a pic of both driving down highway from the back. And for 3100 bucks, performance and sound is awesome!

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:
No flames please from GTS'ers. I also race with my RT/10, performance is equal to the GTS because they are the same car except for cosmetics (Jon B will probably correct me on that statement but...).

JonB corrects EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Socal, so that is what my car would look like clean! (Just admiring your avitar).

Thanks Patrick, pretty sweet snake you got there. I have mine Zainoed once a week whether it needs it or not (being in the land on no rain doesn't hurt). I'm buying my detailer a ticket to Canada to fix you up. (hehe)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Performin Norman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a GTS because I like the looks much better. When I want to have the wind blow thru my hair, I just drive one of the convertibles. IMHO, the GTS looks more agressive and the RT/10 looks a bit outdated. (No offense RT/10 owners)

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 95 RT/10 Black / tan with crome wheels.I sold that to buy a 97 or newer RT/10. But when I saw the 96-97 Blue and White GTS I fell in love. You can't loose with any Viper you maybe so lucky to have.I am.....
cool.gif
cool.gif
smile.gif
redface.gif

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great question Joe,

Let me give you a different perspective..

I've had one of each and now have the 1998 GTS. I choose the GTS over the sold RT/10 because to be honest, I found myself with the Top ON 90% of the time. I loved the wind in my hair, etc, but everytime the weather changed I had to drive home and get the hardtop or waste time putting the soft top on. And when it did rain, it leaked like a wet sock.
I LOVE stereo's and with an RT/10,there was Hardly ANY options to have a nice sounding stereo. With a GTS, I have a place for a sub enclosure, rear speakers, and fronts for some NICE seperation and some SERIOUS thumping..
The GTS also offered quick access rear shelf for a odds and ends and the rear pop up glass was more convenient than the truck.

But.. I must say.. I sure loved my RT/10 though.. It just depends on your driving conditions, etc and what you want the car for. The GTS is more of an everyday vehicle and the RT/10 you'll have to check the weather at every turn, etc. I can't tell you HOW MANY times I've cruised w/ my Viper friends and they had to go home because of the top issue or couldn't go out because they didn't want to deal w/ weather, etc.hehe, Just ask Chuck, or Adam or Antonio.. RT/10's look sinister though!!!

Either choice, can't go wrong..

Gerald

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me, it was much harder to get in and out of the RT because of the low roof line at the door (top on, of course --- either one). So was forced to the GTS. Liked the RT better, but either is a WINNER.

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with the R/T because it is the ultimate summer car!!
Might rain put on the hardtop.. nice out ? NO top!!!
best of both worlds!!!
go R/T!!!!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're in Florida. You have to get the RT/10...first.

Don't listen to Gerald. I don't know how he can breathe with his head so far up there.

Elite1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me it was a perfect extension to my Yellow 95 Stealth TT. The engine was "having som problems", the 2001 model year Viper was offering me the yellow that I fell in love with and as a plus it now had ABS brakes. Perfect timing so to speak I guess. As for RT vs GTS, I've never owned a convertable. I considered it but when it came right down to it I prefered the more agressive look of the back spoiler package on the GTS. PLUS, for some reason in Dallas here it seems to go from 40 degrees to 100 degress in a weeks time from season change, but I guess thats the sacrifice to pay.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the RT/10 to go *******, which is most of the time, and got a hardtop and softtop if I don't - if I had the $, the 2nd one would be a GTS...maybe

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had both (95 RT and 00 GTS) Love both, and if I could have convinced my wife, I would have kept both. An Rt with a good hardtop is hard to beat. I go way back with convertables-my dad had a 57 T-bird and when he passed away at 77 he was still driving *******. I will miss taking the top off the RT, and I don't think there is a more stunning look than an RT from the rear with the top off.In truth, the majority of my time was spent with the top on. The GTS has a more race car feel about it, and most people I know who bought the GTSs when they first came out in 96 and later made a decision of one over the other, kept the GTS/(not a scientific stat , just the folks I know) My guess is that the overall driveability of the GTS is the reason.PERFECT WORLD--ONE OF EACH.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by viperdrummer:
PERFECT WORLD--ONE OF EACH.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, true.

You must be registered for see images

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A hardtop will stay together better after quite a few years. The gaps between the doors will be more uniform and the body in general will not sag after time. After all the rear and front window frame are tied together permanently.

MES

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my take.

GTS - More aggressive "race car looking" when was the last time you seen a convertible race car? More practical for daily driving. Its a little better on performance - lower coefficient of drag and stiffer body, but unless your really into competitive racing it makes no real difference.

RT/10 - Buy the RT/10 if your going to drive it on the weekends, in good weather, and are a people person (you will get lots of comments with the top off). You may hear this comment "yea but the GTS is faster than the RT/10" Many people think of the RT/10 and think of the Gen I even if its a Gen II RT/10 and just as fast as the GTS.

The best thing to do is try both out and see which one YOU like.

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, my turn;

With the RT-10 (which I own) I can put the hard top on when the weather turns for the season. When it gets hot, I can put it back on for the heat protection.

The real difference is in the removable REAR WINDOW, which allows for some excellent airflow. I have three possibilities, the GTS has one.

Granted, the RT-10 top is not the easiest thing (hard or soft) to put on; but I have the CHOICE!

My ultimate answer is the 03' coming soon with an easy to operate retractable top. I love my 01', but I can't wait for the instant flexibility and 500/500/500. Skin cancer has changed my persoective a bit on going *******. When I want *******, I want ******* NOW. Same thing goes for toplesness! I have found my ultimate answer in the 03'. I do think I will miss the last body style alot though!

Jim Wallace

RickV2K

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ever notice when driving on the highway that when any type of musscle car enters the same highway they always seem to slow down and slowly drift back into traffic? especially vettes. lol.....i've had to slow down to 40 in a 65...and still they'd keep drifting back. i've heard that the viper is very intimidating...but that's not the reason for not wanting to pull up too close to the car. i just figured out the real reason why. it's because they wanna stay behind the RT with it's top off and stare at the sight of one of the most potent automobiles ever known to man that seems to be about 2 inches higher than the giant wide tires it rides on....and as wide as the grand canyon. i never noticed just what it looked like until i followed a friend of mine in his RT w/top off in route to illinois. lambos, porsches, shelby cobras and vettes....you name it, they just ain't got it. never in a million years will a car have the lines that the viper has....or should i say had?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RickV2K:
i just figured out the real reason why. it's because they wanna stay behind the RT with it's top off and stare at the sight of one of the most potent automobiles ever known to man

never in a million years will a car have the lines that the viper has....or should i say had?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right on Rick! I noticed the same thing when I got my Viper. At first, I dismissed it as just my ego wanting me to believe it. Then I remembered when I was Viperless, and I would speed up or slow down just so I could stare at one.

BobK898

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My decision was easy as I always wanted an open top. My dilemma was between the Viper, 996, or a Vette. I'll credit Mike Pavloff with convincing me that the Viper was the wiser choice. Now that I have the car, there has been absolutely no looking back.

RockStar

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went with a 94 because I wanted an original side piped Viper, and a true roadster. To me, it's what makes the Viper so unique. Don't get me wrong, I would love to add a GTS to the garage, but I'll always keep the 94. I also wanted black, and A/C, and 94 fit the bill. I haven't regretted it for a minute, and I've been out in a couple of GTS's. Either way, you can't go wrong!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phiebert:
No flames please from GTS'ers. I also race with my RT/10, performance is equal to the GTS because they are the same car except for cosmetics (Jon B will probably correct me on that statement but...)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uhhhh, small correction is due here -

The first drive I took in my new (96)GTS after 3 years of RT/10 ownership was unforgettable. Quiet and supple were the first thoughts that came to mind. I was driving with the owner of the dealership on the maiden voyage and just before it ended, I looked over and told him not to sell the roadster just yet. I wasn't sure I really liked the new model's radical changes (like outside doorhandles!)

That evening, my mind was firmly made up in favor of the GTS after a spirited drive down my secret local backroad. I found myself going triple-digit speeds with so little effort I couldn't believe it. The first time I got it to TWS, I ran laps that were over 2 full seconds faster (on OEM tires) than my RT ever did on the old T/A R1s!!! I've never driven a Gen2 RT on the track, but since it shares the same chassis and suspension with the GTS, it MUST be better than the Gen1. Gen1s are all about "a handfull of sideways" while the Gen2s are all deceptively fast (easily.) They may LOOK the same, but they are most certainly NOT the same car!

You can drive the GTS in the rain and not get wet inside the cockpit. You can see out the top of the windshield and side windows without having to duck (top on.) The sound system is MUCH better in the GTS and there is far more useable space. The aerodynamics of the coupe are VASTLY superior to the RT, which makes it quieter and FASTER. When an RT and a GTS are side-by-side, the RT looks WIIIIIIDER (it's not) and LOWER (it is.)

The RT/10 is a pure fun machine that makes no sense. That is partly what makes it so alluring. I wouldn't trade the great times I had in the '93 for anything ...... (except the GTS I traded it for ;)

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elite1:
I fell in love with and as a plus it now had ABS brakes.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How important was ABS or no-ABS in making some of your decisions?

MadMaxx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the time, I was aiming for a 94/95 side pipe RT. I ended up with a 96 RT. The price was right, and the color scheme is unique among the viper community (only white RTs).

I feel that the coupe is a dedicated race/street car, as where the RT is defiantly the cruiser and nice afternoon car. Not to say that they aren't both equally powerful, but I like the lines of a coupe overall for their "meanness". But when I have a 74 degree clear day... there is nothing better than driving with that top off and the windows out! Especialy through the twisties in the mountains
supergrin.gif

Anything you choose will still be great, because they are vipers. I love them both, they both have their place.

Just remember: The viper was born a roadster
wink.gif

MM

venmous

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As for ABS? I've never owned a car with ABS so I couldn't have cared less; would I like to have it? Sure.

I thought about a GTS, but I knew 2 things:
1) I was going to store the car in the winter either way
2) I wanted a roadster; I already own two close-cockpit vehicles and I wanted an open-air summer ride.

I knew the GTS was supposedly faster/ designed more for racing. (It is faster in Gran Turismo!!) But I love my sidepipes and roadster look. To each their own!

I think most owners agree, they love what they have, but wouldn't mind having the other sitting in the garage too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang