Rubber (elastomeric) camshaft.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking with Dan Craigin earlier today, he said he was having great success with his rubber camshaft in earlier SRT models.

He says he can get 90% of the benefits of variable valve timing for 10% of the cost. At higher RPM's the elastomeric polymer camshaft expands slightly to open the valves longer.

His dyno results say that by converting 03-07 SRT's he can make them just as fast as the 600 hp 08s & 09s.

Anybody that has had this upgrade, please let me know how it worked out.

Think it would smooth out the power curve, and make the engine quieter running at the same time.

Does this also work in pre SRT engines?.:drive:

fireball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been running this style camshaft in my 2 stroke race bike with great success! It's durable and the variable timing gives a noticable increase in power. I'm not sure how it would work in an engine as dimensionally long as the Viper V-10 though. I suspect that the polymer will flex more with such a long camshaft - but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else tried it?

Greg

jm24ond6

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm also very curious about this. That 2 stroke must fly with that cam. I'm sure Dan would love to discuss this with anyone interested.

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan can be reached at his shop. 310 841-6996.

Think the rubber camshaft can be ordered through Parts Rack. (Please do not call on Mondays).
Jon will usually give you a bonus doodad if you claim to be a VCA member. (Prices hard to beat too)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not that I am (or at least was at some point in the past) a valvetrain engineer. But the 2 stroke argument does notwork because there are many 2 strokes with poppet valves (usually exhaust only).
However, the elastomeric expanding lobe seems like an interesting one. I hereby ordain it as the Clemsubber or maybe Uberclem. That's it Uberclem. Just wish my keyboard had an umlaut.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've been running this style camshaft in my 2 stroke race bike with great success! It's durable and the variable timing gives a noticable increase in power. I'm not sure how it would work in an engine as dimensionally long as the Viper V-10 though. I suspect that the polymer will flex more with such a long camshaft - but I'm not sure.

Has anyone else tried it?

Greg

:dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:
Why do you have a cam in a 2 stroke ?????????

I take it you joking and nobody got it

OP
OP
P

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all, and especially thanks to ViperTony for pointing out that a rubber camshaft is just a typical April Fools joke.

Please return to your regularly scheduled program.

And Happy April 1.

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was hoping we could get a special grind done on it to make it sound more lumpy at idle. Im so bummed! That was a good one though:2tu:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thank you all, and especially thanks to ViperTony for pointing out that a rubber camshaft is just a typical April Fools joke.

Please return to your regularly scheduled program.

And Happy April 1.

LOL...I've been bombarded by colleagues yesterday with all kinds of April Fool's emails. I was on alert most of the day. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang