Rubber Padding ?? on Front Bumper Inside Cowl ??

Machtwo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 96 GTS. I took the front cowl off to do some intercooler work and noticed on the underside of the internal bumper and between where the push pins go inside the crosshairs, some (not in good shape) rubber padding or at least that's what I'm calling it. If this is there for a purpose, I'd like to make it nice again, but no idea what this stuff is and why it is there.

This GTS was Heffner modified long before I owned it so it's possible it is something they added. There is none of these rubberish strips anywhere on the top of the internal bumper. Further confusing things is the 4 push pins which are inside the cross hair were not installed when I assume the modifications were done. Ugh.

This is a pic showing location (circled in red):

You must be registered for see images attach

This is a close up:

This is a chunk I pulled off. Gnarly and seems to be 2 pieces overlapped and bunched up.

I will appreciate any thoughts or advice.
Cheers!

Ramtuff

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even OEM’s use things such as that foam between parts to stop BSR (buzz, squeak, and rattle). My guess is that the last shop that worked on it put it there for that purpose.

OP
OP
Machtwo

Machtwo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
@TEALLIFE There are 4 push pins which are supposed to be in this exact location. Lost or lazy?
@Ramtuff Yes, could be related to rattles. I will replace the original push pins and test. Good idea.
Maybe the last shop didn't like the look of 4 black push pins in the middle of the white stripe?

TEALLIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Even OEM’s use things such as that foam between parts to stop BSR (buzz, squeak, and rattle). My guess is that the last shop that worked on it put it there for that purpose.
if you can hear the front bumper rattling in that area bc of one push pin....there's something wrong with your viper ;)

Not sure I'd hear it if my entire bumper fell off

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21