Running hot during autocross

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was autocrossing last weekend and noticed that on a 63 second run, my car was running pretty hot & oil pressure was dropping. Outside temp was around 90 or so. I was running in 2nd gear for the entire course and was surprised to see it get so hot so quickly. I let the car cool down (idling) between runs and as the temp came down, the oil pressure came back up. Does this happen to anyone else? Do I need to upgrade my cooling system?

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you consider pretty hot? Have you flush/burped your coolant system laterly? How is the fluid level in both tanks?

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should video tape your oil pressure gauge, you might be losing pressure as well. What year is your car, if your running slicks you may need oiling help.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of baffling Is In your pan, but there are some who can advise on appropriate baffling to keep the sloshing to a minimum. I opted for a dry sump system which definitely solves the lateral g problem but its a bit pricey.

Reaction score
Autocross really sloshes oil around, I would run an extra 1/2 - 1 quart of oil because the high rpm and sloshing keeps most of the oil up top and can lower the pan level pretty drastically. The best way to quickly lower temps is if you take a garden sprayer and after the run while idling spray down the radiator and oil cooler with a water mist. ;-)

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autocross really sloshes oil around, I would run an extra 1/2 - 1 quart of oil because the high rpm and sloshing keeps most of the oil up top and can lower the pan level pretty drastically. The best way to quickly lower temps is if you take a garden sprayer and after the run while idling spray down the radiator and oil cooler with a water mist. ;-)

Let me add to that..NOT DIRECTLY ON THE MOTOR!!!!!

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you have a Gen 2, we make a baffle kit for the oil pan and dual pusher fans to help low speed cooling. Marks suggestion is good, we have a misting setup we use in the front of the radiator when we do a lot of dyno load testing, makes a big change in temps.

OP
OP
D

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a 2000 GTS. In-cockpit video shows the temp gauge go up to about 225F. Oil pressure remains at 45PSI or so until the end of the run, when it drops to about 36 PSI. (Values converted from metric, as the car was originally sold in Canada.) As the temp comes down, the oil pressure comes back up.

A baffle kit would probably be a good idea, and I am very interested in that dual pusher fan kit. Would that help my A/C performance as well?

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have a Gen 2, we make a baffle kit for the oil pan and dual pusher fans to help low speed cooling. Marks suggestion is good, we have a misting setup we use in the front of the radiator when we do a lot of dyno load testing, makes a big change in temps.

Does that dual fan kit come with a wiring harness and relays? And most importantly, instructions? :rolaugh::D

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes the kit comes with everything you need plus instructions. $699 Thanks!

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running Gen II Vipers at higher RPMs will often send the temp gauge right to the yellow and red lines. Competition drivings often needs upgraded parts to keep things cool on the track.

I remember when taking my 96 to the road courses, it was often a matter of temperature control, than fastest driving possible to finish a stint. Would need to give the car a breather, at lower revs down the straight aways to cool it down, so I could get back in the revs pulling off the corners.

In addition to engine cooling, you might want to consider additional cooling for your brakes (and even transmission for longer courses) in competitive situations. The posters above can be very helpful in keeping your brakes fully functional out on the tracks. Air cooling ducts, metal brake lines, and higher temperature brake fluids are all available to make sure your Viper stops as well as it goes.

With your Viper running cool, you can concentrate more on getting your lap times down.

Also consider competition belts. When you are held tightly into your seat, it is amazing how much faster you can be in the corners.

OP
OP
D

Destructo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I put a scope in my radiator and I think I've found the problem. Any recommendations for a radiator shop in northern Dallas?
You must be registered for see images attach

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I put a scope in my radiator and I think I've found the problem. Any recommendations for a radiator shop in northern Dallas?
You must be registered for see images attach

After you get that fixed run the Evan's coolant and you won't have to worry about corrosion anymore.