Running on 9

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve-Indy:
I would check all of the plugs and wires. Are the wires new as well?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The wires aren't new. The car only has 15,000 miles on it. Should I change the wires before I do anything else or bring it to the dealer? Got any deals JonB.?

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A good rule of thumb is to change them out every 10,000 miles, especially if you drive it hard. What usually occurs with wires is that they shake loose. Check them all and make sure they are secure.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had something simliar happen to me on my 94 viper. I changed the plug wires and whalla! the problem went away!

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Agree with above two posts...short term: check all connections.
long term : New wires...right time and milage for same. Also,, one of wires may have been damaged during plug change. If problem persists, see dealer. P.S. How old is your battery?

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The battery is original. I took it out and looked at it not too long ago and there was no sign of corrosion. It also seems to stay at 14 volts so I don't think that it is a battery. I tried calling Jon B but the line was busy. I sent an email but I'll try calling again. Jon, if you see this give me a call at 323 253 8908. Thank you everyone for giving your suggestions so quickly.

It looks like it won't be untill next week before my Jeep is fixed from the break in. Oh well, I guess I'll have to drive the Viper around.

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon B. took care of me with 5 star treatment as usual. He is rushing to make sure that I get everything by tomorrow just in time to have my car ready for family coming in town for thanksgiving.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Would change battery in near future...ESPECIALLY if Viper running rough AFTER you replace the wires(see recent thread about same). Glad JonB got you supplied!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
bounce.gif

OP
OP
M

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So yesterday morning I walked out to my Jeep to drive to work. I noticed that the door was slightly open. I am usually not
careless about stuff like that so I was a little suspicious that someone was messing around with my car. Looking in I saw that my car had been broken into. Fortunately the thief was unable to take my Jeep but he was able to do a lot of damage to my car. It would not start. I called the police, my insurance company, and vented a little bit then decided that I should get to work. I seemed to have a pretty good excuse to take the viper to work. So on my way to work I noticed that my viper was making a weird noise and seemed under powered when I press the gas down more than about one third of the way. It really seems like the car is running on 9 cylinders. If I wanted to run on less than 10 I would have bought a vette. I noticed that my problem is somewhat sporadic. Once in a while it seems to run fine, then it starts limping again. My car is a 94 and I had the plugs changed one hundred miles ago. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery