Sagging door

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my passenger door is sagging ( rubs when i close it unless i kinda lift it). I did a search on here for remedies and found some different answers. Should i just change the hinge or try and like re align / move it up?

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the door itself rub or just the interior panel on the opening of the cabin?

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Doing this is not very hard. I did this on my 94' and just did this on my GTS. Simply remove the four bolts holding the body colored panel in front of the door, then open the door half way. Put a hydraulic jack under the door and pump up to the point where the door can't swing anymore. Loosen the four bolts holding the hinge to the frame, leaving the bottom bolt only slightly loosened (half turn or so). Pump the jack just enough to slightly change the angle of the door, then tighten all four bolts. Test and repeat until it's perfect. These will be very SLIGHT changes that you will make a little at a time. Raising the door a millimeter higher is not bad, as it will settle after the first drive. Just be sure to crank down those four bolts with your wrench once you get it right.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the door itself rub or just the interior panel on the opening of the cabin?
it seems like the black plastic part of the door rubs but the gaps look perfect from the outside

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doing this is not very hard. I did this on my 94' and just did this on my GTS. Simply remove the four bolts holding the body colored panel in front of the door, then open the door half way. Put a hydraulic jack under the door and pump up to the point where the door can't swing anymore. Loosen the four bolts holding the hinge to the frame, leaving the bottom bolt only slightly loosened (half turn or so). Pump the jack just enough to slightly change the angle of the door, then tighten all four bolts. Test and repeat until it's perfect. These will be very SLIGHT changes that you will make a little at a time. Raising the door a millimeter higher is not bad, as it will settle after the first drive. Just be sure to crank down those four bolts with your wrench once you get it right.
cool good advice ill give it a go and let ya know how it turns out thanks

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
cool good advice ill give it a go and let ya know how it turns out thanks

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which vendors?
He is probably talking about a replacement spring for the door detent, there is no fix other than adjustment or replacement for the sag. Usually you can adjust it so that it does not sag/

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it seems like the black plastic part of the door rubs but the gaps look perfect from the outside

If the gaps are perfect, how is the door sagging? On my car, the passenger side interior panel of the door catches on the "panel" of the cabin up by the shoulder of the seat. My car has an aftermarket interior and I am going to attack the panel attachement to the door before trying anything else. If the door itself were sagging, I am under the assumption that should show up in the exterior gaps of the door.

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what the OP said I'm guessing he is looking at the door gaps with the door fully closed. Hard to check panel gaps with the door open. Even if it is sagging, when closed it would look good.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the gaps are perfect, how is the door sagging? On my car, the passenger side interior panel of the door catches on the "panel" of the cabin up by the shoulder of the seat. My car has an aftermarket interior and I am going to attack the panel attachement to the door before trying anything else. If the door itself were sagging, I am under the assumption that should show up in the exterior gaps of the door.

The door can start out low, but, it rides up (like a ramp) over the interior trim piece. That tubular trim guides it into the latch. Once it makes it into the latch it is sort of forced into alignment. A secondary issue is the door panel itself, it can drop and that makes it appear as though the door is low.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my passenger door is sagging ( rubs when i close it unless i kinda lift it). I did a search on here for remedies and found some different answers. Should i just change the hinge or try and like re align / move it up?

What's rubbing ?? The door panel where it protrudes about halfway up the door ?
If that's the case, make sure the door panel is tight to the door. There is a plastic pushpin in that area and if there is a gap between the panel and door itself it will drag.
My car does it now, if I lift a touch when closing it's much better. I just haven't pulled the panel to replace the pushpin.

If your gaps are good, I would look at other things first before adjusting the hinge.

OP
OP
A

APGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the bottom black part of the door rubs. if i lift it up while closing its fine

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member