Salvage Sandy Viper

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw this 1 owner 2003 with with 3,700 miles just sold for $35k:dunno: I wonder how many more are out there... Here's the story in the ad on a popular online auction site.

a one owner viper.....in perfect condition...never wrecked.this viper was in a garage in hewlett,new york.when sandy hit the east coast.the owner told me only one foot of water was in his garage..he almost did not turn it in...he paid $84k.plus interest.and never hardly driven it,only nice weather.the car is beautiful.never wrecked.no paint work ever.he added the python alarm,and a k-40 laser detecter..i bought this car from geico for $32,000. my reserve is $35000.any questions please call anytime 440-420-0593..dave.thanks.its hard to find one of these with no paint work.geico paid him $58000.i have all paper work.

You must be registered for see images attach

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 ft means 3 ft. 32k is a big sum to pay to gamble profit on a salvaged viper, yet 32 isnt.bad for a driver.

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
has it be branded flood ? if so many places will not allow it on the road due to the cold hard fact that the air bag system might not work.. SRT or anyone would not want that on their mind.... if that failed in an accident..... lawyers would luv you .. just my 2 cents

Last edited:

1bad540

Enthusiast
Reaction score
32 sounds like a good deal, but who knows?? flood cars arent for me.

bigmack339

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No paint work. O.k., what about the red calipers....not on a 2003. Nitpicking, I know.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Not so much of a gamble on a salvaged viper - but rather a gamble on a flood viper. Fresh water or salt water? Would need to see more pics to verify 1 ft as that could really mean 2 ft which would be an entirely different ball game. Electrical gremlins can be a real pain to deal with.

1 ft means 3 ft. 32k is a big sum to pay to gamble profit on a salvaged viper, yet 32 isnt.bad for a driver.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One foot, two feet, 6 feet of water, water is water. i am sure geico did not just send the guy a check over the phone and took is honest word for it. they usually have appraisers that would do their diligent work, its not a chunk of change. I am pretty sure it was in only one foot of water when the guy could get to his house to asses the damage (it probably swam with fishes prior to that):omg:

Jog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
35k is still a lot of money to be spending on a flood damaged / salvaged vehicle; unless you're an experienced mechanic that's up for the challenge of getting it to run right. For 35k he could've gotten a low mileage Gen II with no headaches and a clean title....I wish him well on his project!! ;)

Last edited:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part it out? OP and eBay ad sayst that it sold for 10% over purchase price, Seems like a good flip.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since it was static and hasn't been started since the flood, you could simply try to change all fluids and then tackle any electrical, then find an entire interior out of a wrecked Viper of a similar year. As was mentioned earlier, many flood cars have very stringent or near impossible rules to register formerly flooded vehicles, so you're almost better to buy a wreck and use the flood car parts to repair the damaged Viper. (in most states you'll have to show this vehicle as your "parts" purchase) This is best done for profit if you buy the wrecked Viper with a clear title from the owner who had it damaged.

Regards,
Aaron

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The real problem with flood cars is that electric problems can arise months, even years later, as corrosion sets in. If it was only a foot of water you're probably ok. Was the floor carpet wet or dry? Pull it up and look for mold.

One thing to be aware of when buying any prior salvage car, if you intend to drive it for a long time and enjoy it you can make a good deal, if you intend to re-sell it then it's not a good investment.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had one a few years ago that was a flood and looked the same....But had Twin Turbos. If you spend the time and fix them right they can be a good car. Just have to strip the car down and see how far the water got. Replace everything now and will be trouble free... Only problem new owner has had is a blown trans but that is from turbos not flood :)

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hard to imagine buying this car with pictures like this still fresh in everyone's minds...

Chelseasnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the only thing worse than buying a flooded car would be owning a ........... yellow car

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
has it be branded flood ? if so many places will not allow it on the road due to the cold hard fact that the air bag system might not work.. SRT or anyone would not want that on their mind.... if that failed in an accident..... lawyers would luv you .. just my 2 cents

Completely false. unless it's branded with a certificate of destruction it's completely road legal. Insurance and financing is another issue.

ElevatortecGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/english/elaws_regs_020376_e.htm

review the link.. this is for my area.. talks about flood cars

Salvage vehicles are vehicles that have been damaged beyond economical repair due to collision, natural disaster, accident, trespass or other occurrence as determined by a licensing authority or a licensed insurance provider.

All U.S. brand information on imported vehicles is acquired by RIV as part of the registration process. Vehicles in this category will have U.S. titles indicating the salvage status or brand. This information is verified by RIV through U.S. databases, and the salvage brand will be made available to all provincial and territorial licensing jurisdictions in Canada through the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE). A salvage status on a vehicle may severely limit your ability to get the vehicle licensed and insured in Canada. You should contact your jurisdictional licensing authority for more information.

Salvage or rebuilt salvage vehicles can be licensed in Canada provided the original damage was not flood-related and the vehicle is admissible under Transport Canada’s List of Vehicles Admissible from the United States. All licensing jurisdictions in Canada require a second rigorous structural integrity inspection for U.S. salvage vehicles to verify that the necessary repairs have been done to make the vehicle road safe.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm... Good luck to Canada on that one. I know of at least one state that you can take a branded title car and have it changed to a clear title. All this stuff varies from state to state, there is no accepted nationwide standared on what constitutes different designations for titles.

Vital Velocity

Viper Owner
Reaction score
One foot, two feet, 6 feet of water, water is water. i am sure geico did not just send the guy a check over the phone and took is honest word for it. they usually have appraisers that would do their diligent work, its not a chunk of change. I am pretty sure it was in only one foot of water when the guy could get to his house to asses the damage (it probably swam with fishes prior to that):omg:

While I wouldn't pay 35k for it ( he'll you shop around you can find a clear title one for around that...may not be as low mileage but it also hasn't had suba diving experience ), the insurance companies often times don't go into much research after a hurricane and/or flood.

We had a flood here about 7 years ago, when the adjuster cae out 3 days later to look at our corvette he asked how far up the water went, I showed him and he immediately responded with " I hate to tell you but we are going to deem this a total loss". I asked does he want to crank the motor or take it to be inspected and he said it wasn't needed.

Settled, got a check 5 days later. Bought it back, changed all fluids, swapped out a PCM and it was good to go.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Looks like a few more Sandy Viper's are starting to make their way to auction. This '97 looks like it was in deep (VIN 1B3ER69E4VV300729):

Last edited:

lagalaxy13

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is why I get idiots offering $32k for my non-flooded car.
They see a car like this sell so they think that's the market for all vipers.

Nitro187

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seeing that photo, was was going to ask how you knew that it was in deep. Then I saw the photo of the engine. I'm surprised that corrosion happens so quickly.

Holy ****.... that hurts to see that. However, I'd probably buy it for 6 grand, and take it apart piece by piece, and clean it by hand \ replace anything totally gone for a fun project.... but not with a flood title... that thing is worthless... other than a body panel parts car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang