San Diego Header Recommendation

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am curious what people in the So Cal area have had the most success and happiness with when it comes to header packages.

I have read various posts that talk about B&B, Belanger, and American Racing but I am still not sure what is the best way to go.

I have a Paxton with the Corsa track cat back.

What do you all recommend for me to get taking under consideration 1)best hp gain 2) no exhaust leaks 3) no rust and 4)best beefy sound.

I also came across Kooks being advertised but have not heard of anybody using these on the SRT10 Gen III, this is what I have. I have a 2005.

I had Kooks on my C6 Procharged Vette and they were pretty good except for the exhaust leak at my manifold gaskets. That bugged!

Anyways, any help that you can provide to give me what you think is the best bang for the buck would be appreciated.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would talk with Mike or Todd at A&C Performance in Murrieta. (951-696-0500).
They have been doing lots of dyno runs on Paxton equiped (Todd has over 1,000 hp on his 03) and can give you the info on header performance.

Be careful when adding headers as they may lean out your mixture, and you might need some computer work to keep everything within the safe zone.

B&B/Belanger seem to be most popular. SVSi makes some fantastic high horsepower headers, but they are bucks.

Use extreme caution going beyond the reliable hp you have now. As you go beyond your current setup, reliability goes south in a hurry. Car gets pretty loud and angry also.

Tell Todd...Paul says hi!

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ILLSMOQ runs the Kooks with his 04 SRT-10. When he installed on stock car with just Corsa, he picked up 25rwhp from the addition of the Kooks Headers. His car sounds good and is loud.

I have the M&M headers with Corsa, mine is loud also, but a little different sound then his. Im very happy with the tone of mine when I get on it. We both have paxtons,corsa, only difference is the headers. The M&M's are very much like the Bellanger design. I have also heard good things about American Racing headers. Call A&C Performance, their in Murrieta, so should be close to you. They have installed both M&M and American Racing headers.

Just expect loud with most headers as they dont have the cats, usually just straight pipe. Im losing my hearing,but love every minute of it. lol

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, I was looking to give them my business but was doing some homework before hand to get my ducks in a row so I will be happy with whatever I go with. I spoke with Todd and he seems like a stand up guy, have not seen their shop or met him in person though. A&C likes the American Racing too. Does anybody know the price of the Kooks set up?

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yep, I was looking to give them my business but was doing some homework before hand to get my ducks in a row so I will be happy with whatever I go with. I spoke with Todd and he seems like a stand up guy, have not seen their shop or met him in person though. A&C likes the American Racing too. Does anybody know the price of the Kooks set up?

I think ILLSMOQ paid like $2500 for the Kooks headers and mid pipes, and they are alot harder to install due to design. He had to lift and slide the motor forward and back to get them in. Whereas my set up he was able to drop in with minmal work.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like a pain in the ass if you tell me. I think I am leaning toward the American Racing Headers. Does anybody have any reason that perhaps I may be unhappy with those?

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can tell you first hand that the american racing set up is a quality set up. they were perfect fit and no leaks. also produced great power with paxton/corsa combo. def talk to todd.

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the M&M's on an '06 coupe. Fit good, do not leak, and have good hp gains.

The M&M's are mild steel like Bellanger as opposed to American Racing and B&B which are stainless.

I already had the MOPAR Performance exhaust which is actually fairly quiet compared to other after market ones but louder than stock and just changed out the stock manifolds and put the headers in. No real difference in loudness but the tone is lower and the power gains are substantial.

A word of advise on headers. Make double sure you get them coated. Even stainless headers will corrode badly. The coating if done properly will also help keep the heat inside the headers which not only gives you more power but keeps things in the engine compartment from being melted. All coatings are not the same, but that's a subject for another thread. PM me if you want my opinions on those.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the American Racing Headers are the way to go.

1) Do they come coated already?
2) If I get them and already have the Corsa track, does it come with hi flow cats or ??
3) Who has the best deal right now on these headers?
4) Is a retune required after the install since I have the Paxton set up on the car now.

Thanks for the help!

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No coating, they can be. comes with hi flow cats, definite retune and call todd @ ac. i'm right in ny 1 town away from american, but i recommend calling todd.

OP
OP
V

viperfuntime

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I signed up with A&C Performance in Murrieta to have them order and install American Racing Headers with hi flow cats. Todd has been great to talk with on the phone. I will post video of the dyno before and after.

Thanks for everyone's guidance and recommendations. I look forward to meeting some of you in the San Diego area at one of the get togethers.

I spoke with Andy today with the white striped viper and he is great. And I met with Mike yesterday who had work done by A&C and turns out to live very close to me. Also a nice guy! If this is an indication of the types of people in this community I selected the right car to buy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960