Satisfaction level with your SRT 10

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, why would a counterclockwise bolt help?

Crank/bolt/balancer turn clockwise. When the balancer trys to spin, it is actually trying not to turn at the same speed as the crank. With regular righthand (clockwise) threads it just loosens the bolt. If it had lefthand (CCW) threads it would "try" to tighten it. Some cranks are this way...old Mopar I think. A key and keyway would be best. On the GM LT1 it is also a press fit....BUT.....the crank does have a keyway so all you have to do is pull the balancer and have a keyway put in it, then reinstall with a key. Sean Roe has a pinning kit....works well. But, when the balancer came off "the wifes" SRT10 ....... if we had done that and then had another engine issue down the road the warranty might be denied. So Dodges fix is to send you a balancer with a few thousands .002 tighter clearance and hope for the best. Can a balancer come off and leave the crank perfect ?? Mine didn't, so then we have to decide 1. Put the new balancer on a damaged crank and hope for the best. OR 2. Pull the engine and send it to Arrow.

Well, AT least I am paying my dues to bash :D better than bashing and not owning.....or is it :confused:

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give my Viper Tech, Jeff Sherwin at Jerry's Dodge in Springfield, VA, a 5 (on a 1-to-five scale)! :2tu:

As for my Viper build quality experience...

History: let's not go there.

Current car: 5 :D Thanks Jeff!

dirk989

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Incredible car. No problems whatsoever. I like the seats, but think they could be uncomfortable for someone who is ....umm...wider than I am.

I use mine as a near-every day driver. Not a single complaint.

Dirk

ACELLR8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow.....lot of high numbers.

Put me down for a 3.
The engine breaks, the rear breaks, the seats ****, the top leaks wind/noise, spins like it's on ice, the doors squeak. Sorry, but I don't expect these problems when I buy a Neon, much less a car that cost this much. And yes, it should have had cruise control.

Just last night I was complaining to the wife about the seats and aggravating her that I could probably trade them for gen2 seats. I was also telling her how impressed I was at the build specs of the upcoming Zo6.....hmmm....to bad it's not a convertible. Well, the wife likes it and it's her car.

Ifin you decide you want Gen II seats, I have a set out of an 01 GTS in black I would love to trade. I thought the SRT seats were very nice and comfortable.

redsrt03

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rate it by categories:

Appearance 5
Acceleration 5
Status symbol 5
Comfort 1
Driveablity 3
Build quality 2
Reliability 1
DCX 0

Overall: Fantastic machine when all is right, but too
often,

When it's running great its a 5+ (would be 10 except for rattles/clunks, kind of embarrassing)

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would rate it by categories:

Appearance 5
Acceleration 5
Status symbol 5
Comfort 1
Driveablity 3
Build quality 2
Reliability 1
DCX 0

Overall: Fantastic machine when all is right, but too
often,

When it's running great its a 5+ (would be 10 except for rattles/clunks, kind of embarrassing)
Nice summary! Accurate too, although for me I would give

comfort a 3,
drivability a 5, and
status symbol an N/A.

John Myrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 out of 5 and that's a generous score.

I find it unusual that so many people rated the car at a 5 out of 5. In my opinion that type of rating means that there is no room for improvement. In my opinion Dodge left plenty of room for improvement.

How about the windows? I typically have to re-open and re-shut the door to get the glass to seal correctly.

How about the differential problems? I recall reading about many failed differentials on stock cars.

How about the lack of cruise control? Cruise control is a nice feature anytime you take the Viper on a long road trip, say for example to a VOI.

How about having a knock sensor? Only the 2005 models came with knock sensors. Seems foolish to have such an expensive performance car unable to alter ignition timing to avoid engine damage.

That should be enough... If I continue I will have to lower my score to 3 out of 5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shibbydude