SCCA T1 Runoffs Viper "almost" gets it done...

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SCCA T1 Runoffs Viper \"almost\" gets it done...

Hey gang,

sorry I forgot to let you all know the first time this was broadcast on SPEED right after Thanksgiving but the SCCA T1 Runoffs will be re-broadcast this Tuesday December 6 at 1am PDST on SPEED

Some of you might get a kick out of it since we almost got it done...

We started some great work with the SRT10 Viper in T1 this year and for the first time in 5 years someone other than John Heinricy led some laps, and those laps were led by a Viper!

Anyway, ya might wanna fire up the Tivo, the announcers do spend a fair amount of time saying good stuff about the Viper :2tu:

For those of you who don't know the story on T1 here is a brief history

Runoffs = SportsCarClub of America premiere championship event requiring an invitation to compete in through earning points earned in your respective division during the regular season. The "Runoffs" are touted by by most motorsports reporters and magazines as the "Olympics of Ametauer Motorsports" and just like the Olympics these days Pros are not excluded from running... :2tu:

SCCA T1 = Showrom stock cars with safety modifications competing on natural terrain road courses in 45 minute sprint races equalized with weight and single inlet restrictors

The class began in 1998 and was won by a Viper in 98, Vette in 99, Porsche in 00 and has been won by John Heinricy (tommy archer equivilant) in a factory funded by GM ever since and has led every lap until 2005. For a brief period in 2001 & 2002 Bobby Archer took a run at T1 and even earned a pole position in 2001 but never led a lap and didn't compete at Runoffs in 03 or 04

SRT10 Viper 3560lb 40% restrictor
Z06 Corvette 3280lb -0-% restrictor
GT3 Porsche 3165lb -0-% restrictor
C6 Corvette 3380lb -0-% restrictor

So that's how it stacks up hope you enjoy the race and we plan to make everybody a bit prouder next year ;)

sbw

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Re: SCCA T1 Runoffs Viper

I still can't understand the SCCA's version of "Stock". To me, thats the way it comes off of the showroom floor, not weighted down or restricted to give the lesser cars a chance.

But I guess they gotta make it look like a fair race, for the financial longevity of the series. People would get bored watching Vipers win all the time, if they didn't tie anchors to them. Be almost better to run an unrestricted ZO6, to have a better chance at winning.

I'll be watching, thanks for the tip.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: SCCA T1 Runoffs Viper \"almost\" gets it done...

Great post , Scotty, as the run for the roses was super close this year, and alot of us were proud to see a 40% restricted car keep up ( heck pass and set a new track record ) with a GM Factory Driver and Engineer. Granted Heinricy is talented, but to do what you did on your limited resources with the only car SCCA has seen fit to restrict, illustrated dat da boy has some talent.Kudos on the run, and I gotta get my Tivo ready to record the race the second time around. :2tu:

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What hp does a stock Viper get with a 40% restrictor on? Awesome job overcoming this obstacle with talent. :headbang:

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: SCCA T1 Runoffs Viper \"almost\" gets it done...

Great post , Scotty, as the run for the roses was super close this year, and alot of us were proud to see a 40% restricted car keep up ( heck pass and set a new track record ) with a GM Factory Driver and Engineer. Granted Heinricy is talented, but to do what you did on your limited resources with the only car SCCA has seen fit to restrict, illustrated dat da boy has some talent.Kudos on the run, and I gotta get my Tivo ready to record the race the second time around. :2tu:

Thanx Bill,

I felt pretty bummed about missing a shift and losing the lead to Heinricy but overall our team was very happy with the results of having 2 of our NayKid Vipers in the top 5. Man I LOVE this HOT ROD!

The announcers talked about it a little bit but the cameras didn't really show it when we made a pretty hard charge the last few laps and closed the gap to about 3 or 4 tenths on the back side twisties. Unfortunately there was oil going into 10b I didn't see (cuz I was on his bumper) and he did see it and moved off line to miss it while I drove right through it and went for a lurid slide just long enough for him to regain the 1.2 seconds on me I had closed up in the previous 2 laps...

Anyway, the coolest part here is the guys at Dodge and all the Viper people! What a great bunch of people, the guys at DODGE MOTORSPORT get it and they ROCK! :2tu:

We're havin a blast!

sbw :usa:

OP
OP
S

Scotty B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What hp does a stock Viper get with a 40% restrictor on? Awesome job overcoming this obstacle with talent. :headbang:

Thanx for the kudos!

We make around 425 to 430 rwhp and about 470 tq after we get done with the tweaking and the CORSA Performance exhaust, filters, Redline oil etc.

Our Z06's used to make 380/380 at the wheels but now we are hearing 385/385 (Z06)and 400/405 from the C6 in T1 trim...

Ya wanna know the funny thing? The Z06 was beating us down the straight (verified by radar of the sanctioning body) so we were getting it done in the corners! Who says Vipers don't handle? I got news BABY! :nana:

It's been pretty funny cuz there has been a handfull of very vocal Corvette drivers whining and crying about the big bad Viper :curse: and how much power we have and how unfair it is (even though we are 300lb heavier & 40% restricted) and you could have heard a pin drop when the SCCA radar results came out showing the Z06 fastest down the straights! :hitfan:

Anyway, what the restrictor does is kinda make the cars response sort of lathargic like a lazy turbo car so it is a bit different to drive but still a hoot and nuthin better than seeing how big the eyes get on the driver of a GT3 Porsche when you pull up along side of him in a 145 to 70mph braking zone and drive right by under braking cuz he didn't even think to protect against that tank of a Viper coming from way back :nana:

Oh well, I'm rambling, can you tell we're havin fun racing Vipers in T1? :2tu:

We will do our best to land a Viper driver on that top step next year!

sbw :usa: