SCT or Split Second Box Paxton Setup

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a custom setup on a Paxton with Walbro Fuel Pumps, rails and injectors and was wandering if anyone has used a SCT too tune their Paxton yet. I have a Split Second box but since not too many people tune those was wandering if anyone has had luck with the SCT Paxton tuned. I can't run AEM, Motec etc since have too get the car inspected so that is out of the question. I am looking at a 750rwhp Viper not a 1000rwhp beast. I have a local tuner that knows SCT software very well. So let me know too either stick with the Split Second box or go with the SCT? :eater:

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you located? If you are close to FL then you need to take it to Doug Levin. He is the King of Split Second! The split Second is a great system if you learn how to tune it. Which I am in the process of learning right now. The problem is no many tuners are very good at tuning with it.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nevermind they extrenal 155lph these are what came with the Paxton setup need to get in tank Walbro 255s who has the best price on these and which model version is the best? Also on split second box how hard is it for a tuner to tune these if they are good with SCT, Diablos etc...?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i assume UGR can tune it no problem. they are in NC right ? didnt you have them build you a paxton car ?

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i assume UGR can tune it no problem. they are in NC right ? didnt you have them build you a paxton car ?

No, his Paxton isn't on his car yet. He bought the setup from Twinvipers, its the paxton that used to be on Bigbadvipers car before it was a TT car. UGR wont touch it unless he ponies up the $$$$ for their fuel system and a AEM+ tune.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
gotcha.

get a call into doug levin and talk to him. he WILL help you. 954-434-9356 tell him i sent ya.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well i got rid of my slit second box went with a vec 3 split second can only do timing vec can do it all easier and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work it

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of NC are you in? If you buy the right stuff you and tune it yourself. With a little help I am hoping to be able to do this soon. My car ran 752rwhp on a bad tune and I am running the split second. If you do not want to work on it then I would say ship your car to Doug. He is one of the best!

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SCT is good -except- that it won't work well with the stock map sensor. Plus you might have a hard ti e getting the secondary pumps turned on without the split second unless the old setup doesn't use that.

So you may have few choices.

The Vec can be programmed to turn in the extra pumps. The sct might be able to but you would have to hack an output on the harness to do that.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What part of NC are you in? If you buy the right stuff you and tune it yourself. With a little help I am hoping to be able to do this soon. My car ran 752rwhp on a bad tune and I am running the split second. If you do not want to work on it then I would say ship your car to Doug. He is one of the best!

What kind of pumps are you running in the basket. I would rather keep it local without spending tons of money shipping back and forth to Doug even I know he knows what he is doing. Undgerground best setup with AEM but two issues budget and AEM in my state doesn't pass emissions and don't want to go through the headache of getting it re-registerd. Even though I know that would allow my car to run the best. So Joseph the SCT can run with the split second box to help with the pumps like I have seen with a Vec? :dunno:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The best answer to this question is... BOTH. You use the SCT for the actual tuning, and the Split-Sec is kept in order to pull timing and hand turning the secondary fuel pumps on.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well i got rid of my slit second box went with a vec 3 split second can only do timing vec can do it all easier and you dont have to be a rocket scientist to work it

What kind of hp are you getting with eternal pumps thought with external you are pushing your limits over 600rwhp.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best answer to this question is... BOTH. You use the SCT for the actual tuning, and the Split-Sec is kept in order to pull timing and hand turning the secondary fuel pumps on.

thanks I have seen people use the split second box with the Vec so that answers my question on that.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
thanks I have seen people use the split second box with the Vec so that answers my question on that.

That setup is actually redundant... the VEC can handle tuning, pumps, as well as read boost and pull timing... but it is not capable of closed loop correction like the SCT programmer is, nor controlling fans, skip shift, cats, idle, etc.

vipzilla

Viper Owner
Reaction score
well external walbro is not that difrent from having pumps in the tank it comes down to how much fuel you can get to the motor and injectors. i run bigger injectors . use the vec to scale them perfectly

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
. So Joseph the SCT can run with the split second box to help with the pumps like I have seen with a Vec? :dunno:

Yes! Just like Dan said. In fact, if I were doing it, I'd talk to Dan about having him do the initial programming for you too.

Ahh, emissions... I can relate. Why do you think I had Dan help me out w/ my SCT tune...

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JohnnyLightning

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes! Just like Dan said. In fact, if I were doing it, I'd talk to Dan about having him do the initial programming for you too.

Ahh, emissions... I can relate. Why do you think I had Dan help me out w/ my SCT tune...

Good luck!

Thanks man might have Dan do that also are you running single or dual 255 pumps. What do you think with a 750ish Paxton car needs? Also can't I just replace the single stock one in the basket and put one 255 in there? :dunno: What size injectors would you also run with fuel rails? I was thinking of using Lightning injectors like Steveo did with his car.

coupe

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used a Split-Second fuel/timing calibrator on a twin-turbo '99 RT10. It allowed timing retard under boost as well as fuel trimming for the 60# injectors I used. After tuning, it drove like stock around town and also managed to get better fuel mileage out of it. Dyno'd 746hp and 750tq at 12psi.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte