Sealant around valve cover baffle - needed? (pic)

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm fixing to send a set of valve covers out for power coating and of course the baffles need to come out so they aren't like a sand dune in there after being blasted to remove the old coating.

Is the factory sealant around the perimeter of the baffle really needed? I mean, I can speculate what it's for, but back to is it really needed?

You must be registered for see images

RobZilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since almost everything on out cars are there for a purpose I would guess yes. If this were my project I would put the sealant back on simply because it was there when I took it off.

My guess is that it keeps debris from getting between the plate and cover. As usual Dave, you'll have no shortage of replies both on and off topic.

:usa:

BOTTLEFED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That must be a later GTS thing
I've had 3 different sets of valve covers and have never seen any sign of sealant around the baffles

I would not worry about resealing it
in fact you have more of a chance of hurting something if the sealant you use doesn't stick well and falls into the valvetrain

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since almost everything on out cars are there for a purpose I would guess yes. If this were my project I would put the sealant back on simply because it was there when I took it off.
My guess is that it keeps debris from getting between the plate and cover. As usual Dave, you'll have no shortage of replies both on and off topic.
:usa:

You must be registered for see images
HIJACKED! Definitely "BAFFL"ing Cowboy~! ~jules

TexasPettey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Gen1 had it. I can't say what it's used for. I would suggest bead blasting vs sand blasting. All the powder coaters in Austin said that a sand blast would pit the magnesium.