Sealed Batteries

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Straw poll: Which sealed/orbital battery do you prefer: Exide, Optima, Interstate, Other? The application is a track-only car and the battery is mounted in the passenger footwell - so it needs to be the orbital/sealed type.

I've had bad experiences with Optima Reds on the street, took an Exide Orbital out of the track car and it seemed to work well for many years, but can't find anyone who sells the Exides.

What's your preference?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few issues ago, Overland Journal did an extensive battery test...actually testing amp hours, etc. This is an expedition vehicle type magazine and batteries are a big problem because of the heat, vibration and constant use of all the accessories (fridges, winching, lights, etc)

The Sears Platinum came out on top, which is a re-labeled Odyssey. It also has a 4 year non prorated warranty and then another 5 years proroated IIRC. Besides the better warranty than what Odyssey offers, they are usually $50.00 cheaper at Sears. These are AGM batteries so they can be mounted in any orientation. We use them at work because they have never been documented to explode (like wet cell batteries can).

The redtop Optimas did not do well in the test.

They also tested a lithium ion battery which did very well, but cost about $2000.00

Good luck,
George

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider in a track car is weight. The Sears Die-Hard Platinum batteries that I install in our Gen III and Gen IV Vipers are group 34 and weigh 52-53 lbs. I know that the smaller group 78 fits Gen I and Gen II Vipers...though I'm not sure the Platinum series come in this size.

Many racers use a much smaller and lighter Odyssey...giving up cold crank power and amp-hrs for considerable weight savings.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've used Braille batteries exclusively in my last 3 track cars and have never had a problem. They're about $150 and weight 10 lbs. That's the cheapest 40 you'll ever pull out of your car. Tire Rack has them. I change them every 2 years as a precaution but I always give them away and the people I've given them too have never gotten less than 2 year more. I keep a battery tender on them for the winter. I don't know why more people don't use them.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used Braille batteries exclusively in my last 3 track cars and have never had a problem. They're about $150 and weight 10 lbs. That's the cheapest 40 you'll ever pull out of your car. Tire Rack has them. I change them every 2 years as a precaution but I always give them away and the people I've given them too have never gotten less than 2 year more. I keep a battery tender on them for the winter. I don't know why more people don't use them.

For a street car and summer use, do you think you would have a cranking issue with the Braille? As far as the Red Tops, I have had good success with them.

korina

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No, I doubt it. I used a Pantera for a track car before I switched teams and bought my Viper. I had a 12.5 to 1 motor and the Pantera always ran very hot. The Braille never let me down as far as temperature. Before the Pantera I ran an SVO Mustang that did double duty as a street car. No problems there either. I think the battery from the Mustang ran at least another 2 years in someone elses street car before I lost track of it. I don't know if this is accurate or some racer urban myth but supposedly taking a 55 pound battery that is located in front of the front wheels and moving it behind the rear wheels and low like on a Viper was the same as moving your engine back 2" in the chassis. If your spare tire and jack weigh 40 lbs or so and you save another maybe 40 lbs by changing your battery you made a pretty substantial difference. Pull the rear mufflers out and you're getting close to 100 lbs for very little money.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if this is accurate or some racer urban myth but supposedly taking a 55 pound battery that is located in front of the front wheels and moving it behind the rear wheels and low like on a Viper was the same as moving your engine back 2" in the chassis. If your spare tire and jack weigh 40 lbs or so and you save another maybe 40 lbs by changing your battery you made a pretty substantial difference. Pull the rear mufflers out and you're getting close to 100 lbs for very little money.

Yabut, now you are messing with the balance by removing that weight from the opposite end from that big engine? I'm no racer, so, not qualified to say much on the subject. Just asking. It sounds like the weight reduction is a good thing in principle; but how do you keep the "balance" when the weight is removed from the ends of the car? Does corner weighting help compensate? Sorry. Way off topic.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sears Platinum is the battery for me, I have tried many optima batteries in the past and none could match up with the reliability and warranty that the Sears battery offers.

OP
OP
D

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the input folks.

The Braille sounds pretty cool, I'll definitely try one but am running in 3 days so I'll probably hit up the local Sears bigbox and get a Platinum AGM for this week.

I assume the AGM technology (that's the thin layers of ****** lead with glass mat between them right) in a sealed battery pass tech for inside-the-car mounting with no box.
:usa:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4