Searched but didn't see this exhaust combo

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went through the massive number of exhaust threads and there seems to be every combo tried but I haven't seen any comments on Hi-flo cats with no stock resonator but retaining the stock muffler. Thinking if no cats and resonator is just a wee bit too loud for some, maybe someone has tried this???
Going with 3 inch hi-flos no matter what.

Thanks

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went through the massive number of exhaust threads and there seems to be every combo tried but I haven't seen any comments on Hi-flo cats with no stock resonator but retaining the stock muffler. Thinking if no cats and resonator is just a wee bit too loud for some, maybe someone has tried this???

Thanks

Honestly, I don't care for the sound of the stock cat-back exhaust at all. If I were going to go to the trouble of hacking out the factory cats and welding in a set of high-flows, I'd just replace the exhaust with something like a Corsa....of course, that's exactly what I did.

It's not that much louder than stock but sure sounds a heck of a lot nicer. Is there a reason you want to keep the stock UPS truck exhaust?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks

I have no cats and no resonators, but still have the OE rear muffler.

I can see the resonators were doing a good job before I took them off. It sounds kind of ricey to me now. Not really 'too loud' though.

The OE rear muffler isn't quite up to doing the entire job of muffling due to its' thin oval shape having minimal packing above and below the pipes inside.

But, the plumbing under my sills is different than everyone else's. So how my ACR sounds might not be entirely representative of how a typical no cat/no resonator/OE rear muffler set up would sound..

:crazy2:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Quite a few folks tried it in 96-98 and hated the raspy sound. better to keep the resonators and LOSe the rear muffler, but it will be louder with HF cats.

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can see why Jon... it is raspy at a certain rpm. I'm intent on keeping the exhaust manifolds and catback of my ACR exhaust, OE as much as I can (minus resonators) while I look for exhaust gains 'in the middle'. So I'll leave it as is for now.

When I bought my '99 GTS just over a year ago it had a rear muffler delete. After not having a Viper for almost 2yrs, it sounded GREAT my first few drives with it.

But shortly after bringing it home I decided it was just too loud. So I added some custom massaged 6" Dynomax round mufflers in place of the rear muffler, which quieted it down some and gave it a nice healthy exhaust note at the same time.

Many people love the sound of a rear muffler delete though!

:drive:

OP
OP
A

All Blue ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reason I asked is I have heard a few no cat, no resonator rear muffler cars now. Its OK but a lttle too loud and stock-car like.

Never hurts to ask; someone might just have done the exact thing and had comments

Jon, are you saying it will be louder with just HF cats and the stock exhaust?

skeetachya

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just cut out the cats and the resinators and put straight pipes there, left the muffler in the back... I love the sound. I can hear the deep idle and I have the high pitch sound when higher up in the RPM's.

I love it, its the best thing that I have done to the car.:D :D :2tu:

01ACR/VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone done the cat and muffler delete and leave the resonators in place?i am wondering how much quieter it will be leaving the resonators on.:dunno: