SECURE VIPER TO CAR HAULER

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have heard there is a special method of securing a Viper to a car hauler versus the conventional straps around the axles secured to the hooks on the trailer bed. Where are there locations on a 2004 SRT that are best to secure the tie-downs?
THX

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On four locations on the frame, accessible via the wheel wells, there are slots cut into the frame, each about 0.75" wide and 1.75" long. Each slot is aligned or oriented in the direction of the straps that you will hook up (i.e., a slot is not vertical or horizontal, but rather at an angle of about 40 degrees). You'll feed "R-hooks" (see link below) into these slots so that only the loop is protruding from the frame, which is where you hook the tie-down strap.

http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=8978&secid=89&linkon=subsection&linkid=395

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am a newbie Viper owner another former Corvette lifer. One thing obvious about the VCA site versus ZO6 Forum for example is the detailed responses on this site. Moreover while I like a joke as much as the next guy on the Corvette sites you tend to get a 3 to 1 ratio of comic remarks versus the information you need.

I think I found a new home Many Thanks

Brad04Mamba

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use "S" hooks from Dan Cragin. He has found that some other hooks have caused frame damage on the SRT's.

Search for his post in the new product section. You will get alot of good info in there about different hooks.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use "S" hooks from Dan Cragin. He has found that some other hooks have caused frame damage on the SRT's.

Search for his post in the new product section. You will get alot of good info in there about different hooks.
Does anyone (Brad?) have a picture or a link to an S-hook. I found the post where Dan said he had high-end S-hooks, but there is no picture or link. I've had good luck with the R-hooks, but I would like to at least know what these particular S-hooks look like.

Thanks for the props on the board, Bill. It's a fun and informative site that's run well. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw your picture with your viper on the car hauler so I took a look under my car and didn't see where the frame slots are? Is it necessary to crawl under the car to locate the slots for the hooks?

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's all the tow hooks available to professionals.
http://www.awdirect.com/awdirect/catalog.cfm?dest=dir&linkid=110&linkon=subsection
The S hook appears to be just a rounded hook - NOT like the R hook that is specificaly designed to fit inside the reinforced frame holes on all Viper frames. the R hook spreads the load / pressure from the tie dows strap over a larger area - even using some outward pressure. The R hook is the proper hook. We've towed too many Vipers to count, as has Gary Almond, ove rthousands of miles and never seen frame damage when using this hook.

Usually frame damage occurs when you put the tie down hook directly into the frame hole and crank away.

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cool THX for clearing that up now that is the plan and all I need is to find the slots in the frame as my first pass was unsuccessful and I didn't see them?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Hey nomore,

I picked up the R hooks with rings from AW Direct, item CA-2. Attach these to the frame in the small oblong slots made for this purpose, give them a twist and add 4 straps. I chose the NT-16's, but others have chosen the ET-27B. By the way, the ET-27B will hook directly into the slots in a pinch. Cars doesn't move in my trailer. I also cross the straps at the front and rear.

Good luck

Dan

OP
OP
T

TOPGON

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan
My dumb question for the day where are the oblong slots located. I looked from the front and rear can't locate them. If they are accessed from the whell well areas is it from the under side of the car?
THX
Bill

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Bill, they're in the frame rails at the very front and rear of the car. I had this same dumb question until I crawled under my car.

Dan

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan
My dumb question for the day where are the oblong slots located. I looked from the front and rear can't locate them. If they are accessed from the whell well areas is it from the under side of the car?
THX
Bill
Bill, you don’t have to crawl under the car to see the slots, but you do have to lay down on the ground beside the car and look in toward to the center of the car from behind the rear wheel or from in front of the front wheel. The slots are cut into the frame rails as Viper X points out. When I reach under the car via the wheel well to affix the R-hooks in the front, my arm is fully extended and I’m under the car up to my shoulder, if that helps. The rear slots are a little easier to reach for some reason, probably because there is a bit more ground clearance in the rear. If you still can’t find the slots, post as much and I’ll take a picture or two this weekend.

Janni, thanks for the experienced feedback!

Reaction score
T-HOOK
Ideal for front wheel towing or tie-downs.
Drop forged hooks used in towing front wheel drive cars and as a tie down on car carriers. Recommended by GM, Ford, and Chrysler for towing many of their late model cars. For use on 5/16” or 3/8” grade 30 or 40 chain. 3,900 lbs. W.L.L.

R HOOK
A unique tie-down hook.
Like the T-Hook, the R-Hook was developed for use by the auto transport industry. This hook is drop forged and is used in towing and car carrier tie down situations. The CC-1 is zinc plated and designed for use with 5/16” or 3/8” grade 30 and 40 chain. 3,900 lbs. W.L.L.

S HOOK
A Standard in the transport industry
This S-shaped hook (aka Fairlaine Hook&0153;) is formed from 9/16” steel and has a weight load limit of 2,700 pounds. It is 4 1/8” long and has an unplated finish.

S HOOK seems like a poor choice vs the R and T. Based on the "Recommended by GM, Ford, and Chrysler" the S HOOK seems like the best choice.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
S HOOK seems like a poor choice vs the R and T. Based on the "Recommended by GM, Ford, and Chrysler" the S HOOK seems like the best choice.

:confused:

Did you mean T hook for the last sentence?

dblankenbaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have used T-hooks to haul 3 Vipers w/o problems over last 7-8 years. Okay, I mean 4 Vipers if you count Paolo's... errr I mean 5 Vipers if you count Paolo's and Chuck97GTS'...

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are several types of hooks on the market. The T type hooks are widely used. The S types that we have are used by most vehicle transport companys. The rolled edge will not dig into the frame. The absolute best way to tie a car down is to use wheel straps, these will not cause any damage to the frame hole, even if over-tightened. When using any approved frame hook, do not overtighten. Wheel chocks will also help.