Serious question: Do Viper owners (bad ones) disconnect the odometer??

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Surprisingly, there are a number of low mileage garage/trailer queens available. Many owners are content to just have the car sitting looking pretty. When I was looking, I too was struck by this but also encouraged by the prospect of finding an almost new Viper for a non so new price.

Additionally, OBD II cars (I believe 99 and newer) log mileage in the ECM so disagreement could signal tampering and hence trouble for the previous owner.

remster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ride is so intense that you don't need to put too many miles on it at a time.
Plus with the tires that grab any line of the road, this is not really a car for daily commuting while being half awake/tired. You've got to be on at all times, or you can track into the ditch/rail real fast.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many Viper owners don't drive their cars all year round or in bad weather. And from all the VCA members I have met, I don't see many of them being that unethical! Or for that matter, really caring how many miles their cars have!!
Trust in the VCA community!!!!

Just an idea, I sold my '97 GTS with just over 7k miles, and my '98 has just 6k now!

Vip-RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is illegal and it is easy too on computer modulated cars. I don't know how, but there are people out there that do practice that.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vip-RT10:
It is illegal and it is easy too on computer modulated cars. I don't know how, but there are people out there that do practice that.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's right..... always have the milage checked, any dealer can pull the milage from the cars computer. I actually saw one owner (who is now in jail for something completely different) who rigged his "mystery switch" to turn off "milage accumulation". Of course he did not know how fast he was going either...

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
There are quite a few low mileage Vipers out there, and partly due to this, mileage often reflects price. A low mileage Viper will often bring thousands more than what would normally be called an average mile vehicle. Kind of a rule of thumb is that there are price breaks at 10,000 miles and 20,000 miles. It is not uncommon for there to be a very large spread between a 1000 mile car and a 18,000 mile car. Finally, to answer your question briefly, there is not a big concern that alot of Snakes have low mileage.

Bill Pemberton
Woodhouse Chrysler

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people that own vipers, also own other cars. The viper is not usually the daily driver. I have a 96gts with 1100 miles. In march it had 400. I usually use it on the weekends when time allows. With the winter coming it will not get much use.
So it is possible to find low, low mileage Vipers. As a previous post suggested, look the car over (above and below). It maybe possible to hide a couple of thousand miles, but not 10 or 20,000. First thing i look at is the tires. If they are not the original brand, the original better be in a corner of the garage somewhere.
It also helps if you know the history of the car.

Bobby Likis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought my 2001 GTS in February and have only 1830 miles on it to date. Recently, I started driving it daily but admit that it's more fun when used sparingly. I do want to enjoy this one now so that I’ll be ready for its replacement whenever.

OP
OP
A

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have accumulated 21,000 miles on my 99 ACR and enjoyed every mile. I drive it every chance I get. While I'm far from financially independent, I don't concern myself with resale value. Life is too darn short; enjoy it every day! Besides, I had cars that I've simply saved for the next owner to enjoy and perhaps realized 10% more on resale. The relationship between enjoyment and cost is non-linear. Besides, my car is keep so immaculately, it looks day one new.

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with ACR Joe on this one, though it is a 3rd car so not that many miles by comparison. My 2000 has 6,500 miles, limited only by the amount of time I can get out with other comittments. I had a Vette that was kept low mileage, and when it was all said and done all I did was give the next guy a good deal. It just didn't bring that much more money, besides why have it if you aren't going to take it out and keep it rolling.

Looking forward I don't want to be doing the same on the Viper, my plan is to use it and enjoy it. Whenever I have a chance to drive I will, you don't know what tomorrow brings.

SNAKOIL VA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 93 just broke 15,000 miles. I drive it on the weekends and usually pull it out of the "snakepit" on Thursdays. As I live in downtown Richmond, most of the restuarants and trips we take are usually a few miles away. We usually drive around just to get the engine hot on these trips.

I live one mile from work, so even driving to work every day of the week would only add 10 miles a week to the car. I drive something else to work just because of the short distance!

I just added the hardtop, so I'm sure the winter mileage will pick up.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 2000 GTS just turned 3500 miles. Mt 1998 GT2 just turned 120! Way to many miles...

GTSREDDOG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well mine is a 98 and i just turned 4200 miles on it monday..Dont get to drive it as much as I want but I love knowing thats its in the garage under cover if I feel the need for speed!!!!!Does 4200 miles make it a garage queen? 2nd baby due in January so it might be for sale soon...who knows
frown.gif

striker79

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know a guy that has a 2000 Camaro that he thought he could disconnect a fuse and the car would not get excessive mile on the car so he could sell it later.So one day he gets a chevy scanner and sure enough the miles are stored in the BCM and just roll the right mile's when he hooks it back up really funny watching him almost faint.Anyway depending on how the viper's read mileage (i would think the vss would read a toner ring or shutter wheel)but you would have to trick it into thinking that it was not going that far (i.e. like take how ABS works you put a smaller tire that what came with the car your ABS come's in sooner that you may like larger tires may not come on at all before you hit some one).The only other way i could think would be to replace every single computer in the car that includes the radio before you sold the car but you then might run into needing a DRB scanner to transfer the data from your old computer to your new computer. Basically there is no safe way to do it with a 100% guarantee that you will not get caught and go to jail so don't try it.

Jim Peffers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I heard somewhere that the odometer reading is stored in the computer and that it is next to impossible to alter short of completely reprogramming or replacing the computer.
You will find that many Viper owners also own other vehicles (I own 4) and that the Viper is only used for fun and not driven in the winter. In Central Ohio where I live, that is about 5 months. The Ohio DOT has the philosophy that if some salt is good, a helluva lot is better. Anyway, during this 5 months, the Viper never leaves the farm and is started every couple of weeks and ran up to operating temperature but accumulates essentially no mileage.
As for purchasing a Viper, go to a reputable dealer (such as Woodhouse/Pemberton) or if purchasing from an individual, if you are unsure, check with the local Viper club or other Viper owners in the area who may be familiar with the car. A list of the local clubs is available from this website (see homepage). Hope this helps.
usa-clear-s.gif
BURNOUT.gif