Service and Maintenance....

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have had some dealers tell me that they could still work on them, but why would you want them to? My Viper tech tells me the biggest differences between working on a Viper and other Dodge vehicles are the suspension and the fact that the Vipers are hand built. Hand built vehicles aren't always the same and some parts therefore need to be massaged in order to fit properly. He spent a full day changing out a door mechanism because he had to adjust it to fit the car properly.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that for true mechanical work that is the case. I doubt that if you come in for the lube-oil-filter routine that would be needed though.

One comment that was made by Jon B of Parts Rack (pretty sure...) was that to be certified as a Viper Tech was really only a few days of training. Not really that impressive sounding is it?

I would pick out your dealership and ask to meet their SRT tech and service manager. Tell them you are a bit nervous about having someone work on your car and I'm sure they will answer any questions you have.

What area are you in and what work is needed and what year car?

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would never be one to disagree with Dave, but even some rather simple things are quite different on a Viper. For an oil change how many techs would know there is a specific oil filter for the Viper? Most would use the same Mopar filter that is used on a Jeep or other Dodge. How many would know the proper technique for burping a Viper's cooling system? How many shops have the tire machines to handle the Viper's large wheels? How many would tolerate the mods that are typical for a Viper? And of course the other thing to be careful about is a non-Viper tech has an even greater chance of wrecking your Viper if he has to test drive it. Heck even regular Viper techs wreck them sometimes. So unless I was desperate (like broken down someplace where there is no Viper tech around) I would still prefer to find a good Viper tech.

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lucky for you, you are not that far from Tators. Just go there for everything! If you need convincing just search for Chuck Tator. That should do it.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There better NOT be any test drives!!!

"There's 52 miles on my car!"
"Yeah, we had to take it for a test drive."
"After replacing a wiper motor?"

FAIL

Your best bet is to talk to with the head of the service department and the Viper techs there. Ask them about their procedures regarding high-end vehicles (who has access to the keys; who moves it around; storage while there; etc). Ask to see the Viper techs certification paperwork. None of those requests are outlandish.

If you're not comfortable with any of the people or answers, move on to the next dealership.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lube-Oil-Filter...

-> Put car on service rack

-> Drain oil, change filter

-> Add new oil

That does not include any other maintenance or checks or service, and I'd be willing to bet even the every day lube guy would put the right filter on a Viper at a dealership.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The guy crashing my RT/10 was regarded one of the best drivers in the club.

WAS ... :crazy2:

He was a ViperTech also. He owns the dealership too. :rolleyes:

At least: be in the passenger seat when they do a test drive and slow him down when he is trying to do something stupid.

OP
OP
G

gilly6993

Viper Owner
Reaction score

thanks for all the advice....I'm in Western Mass so Tators is a bit far...I was inquiring basically for regular maintenance....I have (on its way) an 09 ACR....I haven't seen any Vipers in my area but I'm hoping that the big dealer, Artioli Dodge, has a good tech....I was just inquiring if they went to extra training....I know my GT-R can only be serviced by a tech that went to 2 weeks of additional training....

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just inquiring if they went to extra training....I know my GT-R can only be serviced by a tech that went to 2 weeks of additional training....
Heh heh....
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHT84A5t418[/media]CAUTION: ADULT LANGUAGE!!!!

red heat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe that for true mechanical work that is the case. I doubt that if you come in for the lube-oil-filter routine that would be needed though.

One comment that was made by Jon B of Parts Rack (pretty sure...) was that to be certified as a Viper Tech was really only a few days of training. Not really that impressive sounding is it?

I would pick out your dealership and ask to meet their SRT tech and service manager. Tell them you are a bit nervous about having someone work on your car and I'm sure they will answer any questions you have.

my brother is a certified audi/VW tech and has had about 20 yrs experience with many other vehicles in the past. he does all of my viper servicing on my 02 and 09 ACR. he tells me that the cars are relatively simple to work on compared to other cars. he is totally comfortable with routine maintenance/work as well as repairs.

keep in mind that unless you live near a large viper dealer , i.e. woodhouse, tator's, tomball, etc, most "viper techs" in the small dodge dealerships throughout the country probably only work on a handful a year.

these cars are all brute engine/power under the hood. not very complicated.

lh4x4

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I do my own service. I have done this with my vehicles since 1962. What is so complicated? Water pumps,starters, shocks, brakes, oil pump, remove heads and do valve job, rotate/mount tires, replace exhaust system and even interiors.

Just need to be set up for it like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

V

Venomiss

A good suggestion is contact your new president of your region in New England.

Viper Club of America

Ask away and I'll bet if he doesn't have the answer you are looking for he may know someone who does.;)

past ohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems that when first set up, the Viper Techs had to go to a school for at least 5 days to understand the "beast"....also a dealership that wanted to be known as having a Viper tech also had to buy a package of various "special tools" some were changed from year to year and I heard initial rumors these tool packages were easily over $5000 to work on the car... something also about ordering the parts for the Viper and the return of warranty replacement parts.....just my $.02

Reaction score
Generally if you need warranty work done the dealer needs to be certified in some respects unless they have a very good rep. You are right that there are things on the Viper that are simple to do, but part of being a "Viper Tech" is that you know how to treat the car (kid gloves) and the customer plus respect the beast. Anymore there is not many if any Viper spec classes and yes you were supposed to buy the service tools although most did not.

Working on the Viper all the time lets you get a feel for what to look for during the inspection process that a normal tech may over look. Differentials, brakes and clutch fluids are a couple. The Viper is ******* these and a regular person would not expect any problem with a 7500 mile car. We know the capability of the car and want you to be as safe as possible when you leave here.

That is the real differences and most feel that it is worth the trip to us or other reputable shops like DC Performance or Tators to insure the quality and attention to detail is there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale04SS