Shift light in dash vent?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<self serving promotion>

We make very small shift lights that would fit in the dash vent - although it would almost be a shame to put it in there since our billet aluminum housings are so nice
smile.gif

Anyways, whatever light you go with, it can go in the vent so long as it's small enough. I think VDO makes a small sized light that would fit - just forget about the big honking flashlight-sized ones they sell.

Of course, if you would like to try ours, I'd love to have you as a customer. You can email me at mbrunton@hightechspeed and I'll give you the scoop.

Whatever brand you decide to go with, if you need info on hooking it up, give me a shout and I'll be happy to help.

</self serving promotion>

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
if you want, I can send you pics of how i did mine... I took a full size unit and disassembled it, replaced the light with a super bright LED, mounted the LED on top of the steering column, and mounted the electronics under the dash board...

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:

We make very small shift lights that would fit in the dash vent - although it would almost be a shame to put it in there since our billet aluminum housings are so nice
smile.gif

You can email me at mbrunton@hightechspeed and I'll give you the scoop.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mike, I had a chance to check out your site. Never knew what kind of business you owned until now. Anyways, are these products your own invention and design or are you just in the business of re-selling someone elses products? Pretty cool products. I like the stealth plate, very James Bond-esque. I remember seeing this technology a few years ago on some hi tech homes show where instead of using drapes or blinds you could just dim your windows at the touch of a button. Cool application of this technology in your license plate covers. I take back everything I ever said about you.
supergrin.gif
Maybe I'll send some business your way.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MCMM,

Yeah, they are all our own inventions
smile.gif
. What did you ever say about me, anyways?
laugh.gif
I always heard it was all good stuff!
supergrin.gif

To be honest, I have about 30 "cool things" sprawled out all over my desk and around the office. We started getting so busy with making existing stuff to fill orders that we haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on "new" stuff. We just hired some new folks and contracted out to get most of our stuff manufactured and assembled for us so I hope I will have some more time to work on making cool products rather than making up wires to send out, etc.

Just as a sampler... stuff coming out in the next year will include a paddle shifter system for the Viper - not a $10k transmission upgrade either, a retrofit modification to the T-56 (of course this product will jump to the top of our "we're working on it" list as soon as I get my SRT!). Also have a fingerprint recognition system I designed for my bike but I'm going to modify it for sale and put it in the SRT as well... a few other cool things like a race track timer that uses the same technology as F1 cars but is only accurate to the 1/100th of a second instead of the 1/1000th - pretty cheap and you can carry it with you to the road course and home again - fits in your glove box and about the same size as a pack of smokes. Our heads up display system for bikes will hopefully be working by spring time - maybe get that retrofitted to racing helmets for cars and maybe even for the windshield.

I have a great job - I get to sit around and play with electronics stuff all day, race my car and talk to car guys... it's alot of work but it's fun. Discounts for all Viper folks of course.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Brunton:
Our heads up display system for bikes will hopefully be working by spring time - maybe get that retrofitted to racing helmets for cars and maybe even for the windshield.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<FONT size="3"><FONT COLOR="blue">WINDSHIELD...I'll take one!</FONT c></FONT s>

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gerald...

Guess what I have sitting on my desk with your name on it?

Email me with your address or give me a buzz at the office tomorrow and we'll get it out to ya! Remember, I want lots of pics!
supergrin.gif

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa Mike.. I have been looking for electrochromic film for a long long time. I have 2 story tall, 2 foot wide strips of windows in my living room. I haven't yet found a decent solution for darkening these when I watch movies on my projector. It gives me the sh!ts in a huge way.. means i can only watch my TV at night. Daylight savings is coming up over here!!

Curtains leave strips down the sides which let in strips of light, which shine right through my screen... one big curtain would look like a$$. That film could be my answer. Can you plleeeease give me some hint on where to get it???

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Miles,

I have no problem helping you with this, BUT, it does not block light, it diffuses it. It will not make your room any dimmer, it would be like having frosted glass instead of regular glass. Marvin windows makes a glass window that "switches" like this, but it's $$$'s and it only prevents you seeing through it - no effect on light.

Miles B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike,

thanks.. can you tell me who makes the film.. maybe they will have something that at least blocks out a bit of light and I can load up like 5 layers or something
wink.gif

Seriously, I am about to go nuts and just paint the d@mn windows black if I can't figure a way to really block the light. Some of the films I had read about block like 90% of the light.. but nowhere says where I can buy them, or really who even manufactures the stuff, or how much it costs. That can of black paint is looking better and better and better.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marty,

You're kidding right? I'm not trying to advertise... we don't sell all that much stuff to Viper folks so I hardly ever even mention it unless someone asks.

Do you still need info on how to hook up a light in the vent? All you gotta do it get a small light and drill a hole to get the wires from the vent to the "other side" and find your power, ground, and tach connections.

Miles, can you shoot me an email at work and I will give you some info. I know the folks that make the stuff we buy don't do anything that blocks light but there are other (more suitable) things you should look at that are cheaper and would work very well for you, I think.

OP
OP
M

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martkat:
Mike, I just ordered one of your shift lights from your website. Thanks for the input. Glad you really were not trying to use my post to push your other products -
supergrin.gif
laugh.gif
rofl.gif

&lt;self serving promotion&gt;

Just as a sampler... stuff coming out in the next year will include...

Also have a fingerprint recognition system...

a few other cool things like a race track timer...

Our heads up display system...

Discounts for all Viper folks of course

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marty,

Thanks for the order... when I say I am not pushing other stuff, I just mean that I'm not really trying to advertise here the way alot of tuners do - I do get excited about our stuff since I designed most of it and I'm passionate, but I really do try not to spout off about it too much - thanks for keeping me in check. 90% of our business is the motorcycle market, and I would say 80% of that is outside of the USA. And the stuff I mentioned is in the pipeline - people can want it all they like, but they can't have it yet!
laugh.gif
. I'm always happy to sell to a Viper guy, though!

I like to support the club and site so I am setting up a banner ad (Don Boston made it for me - looks AWESOME for anyone needing a banner!)... sorry if it came across as ******* my wares
supergrin.gif

Anyways, I will get your goodies out to you in the AM. If you have any questions, give us a buzz. Hmm... installing in the vent should be pretty easy as long as you don't mind taking the trim bits off the dash. I had my 98 apart more times than I can count, but you will need to get the wire from the inside of the vent to the outside where the wires are. I'll throw a couple of grommets in there you can use to run the wire through - so you're not "leaking" air into the dash-guts.

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Mike, I am interested in getting one of your shift lights. Do you have any pics of one mounted in a viper? Where would you suggest putting it? I would email you but the emails have been disabled for our protection.

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Gerald...

Guess what I have sitting on my desk with your name on it?

Email me with your address or give me a buzz at the office tomorrow and we'll get it out to ya! Remember, I want lots of pics!
supergrin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike...didn't see this post...sent you a PM!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte