Shifter Question

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know of two different short throw shift mechanisms out there (B&M and Hurst) and was wondering the PROs/CONs of each. Does anyone have any input? I currently have the stock mechanism with a MGW knob. While it looks great, it doesn't help at the strip. Thanks for any help in advance.

Frank

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the B&M in two different Vipers and no problems, nice tight shifts.

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered the Hurst last week and haven't had time to install it. Since I've never had the B&M, I wouldn't be able to compare the two.

... looking forward to getting rid of the stock shifter!

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
for me the problem was the stock shifter handle (knob) the thing was huge. i installed the MGW aluminum one and love it now. never any problems

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the Hurts put in.Incredible.You feel all the gates go in smooth

OP
OP
E

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far, the only problems I've had with the MGW shift knob is that I don't have the leverage needed when shifting at the strip. I used to miss the 3-4 shift all the time with the stock knob, but now I tend to have problems shifting fast enough.

Does anyone know if the MGW shift knob can be used on either the B&M or the Hurst mechanism?

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the MGW shifter knob on the hurst shifter.Trust me you won't be dissapointed.I hate the stock shifter.Always missed third to fourth.Today I was going through it like butter

Don

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So far, the only problems I've had with the MGW shift knob is that I don't have the leverage needed when shifting at the strip. I used to miss the 3-4 shift all the time with the stock knob, but now I tend to have problems shifting fast enough.

Does anyone know if the MGW shift knob can be used on either the B&M or the Hurst mechanism?

I was told that the threads are different for the stock vs. Hurst. So maybe the MGW would have to be re-threaded? I'm sure someone can comment as to whether this has to be done.

BLUESNAKE367

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed the B&M ripper shifter last year, what a differance in shifting, I am using a carbon fiber shift knob, looks like factory, the height helps with aggressive shifting..

Only bummer, is the install process.

Love it ....