Shifter stop adjustment ??????????????

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a tranny change, I think I need to readjust the external stops on my shifter. It came with the car so I don't know what brand it is. Anybody have the sheet on the adjustment they can fax or tell me the procedure. My guess would be, hold the shift lever full forward/back and turn the screw/bolt about 1/8" after it contacts the shifter.

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's probably an SVSi. The method you mention is correct provided that you back away 1/8 of a turn after the bolt contacts the lever. Not sure what gear you should be in when you do this though.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello Tony,

After a few years of building shifters for Viper's, B&M figured out that the external stops they incorporated on their shifters was redundant and completely stopped using them all together. This was due to the fact the T56 has internal stops built into the unit. If your using another brand of shifter and the transmission has been rebuilt, most likely you may need to readjust/recheck the external stops. I'd wager quite a few transmission problems go incorrectly diagnosed because someone has adjusted the stops incorrectly. This is not to say your problem wasn't transmission related to start with because I know your very knowledgeable. Thanks again for providing the P/S bracket and the muscle for Ward's Viper @ BG, Tony!

OP
OP

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not my trtansmission problem, but it looks like the stop is hitting early. I was thinking B&M, but I don't know for sure. Maybe I will snap a pic. I am putting in a new slave cyl/bearing, the stock flywheel and going back with the stage 3 disk. If I can't shift very quickly.....I am sol. That's the only way I can gain ground back on thease "granny shifters" with mo power :laugh: