shifting advice

MR VENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To each their own. I'd rather answer "what is the meaning of life". Just keep it below "redline" and have fun. Time will give you the answer, grasshopper.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been enjoying my new 2002 rt/10 for about a month now, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice on shifting gears, as far as what rpm (or speed) to run in first before shifting to second, and so on, in order to get the fastest acceleration off the line before reaching desired speed. Thanks.

Most of my shifts are at 2000-3000 rpms however the main thing is to push it as hard without breaking the rear wheels loose! LOL
207driving_patches.gif

Adam :D

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten used to breaking the rear end loose...but it can freak out my passengers. Wonder if that's a bad thing :)

Yeah I know what you mean. I took my neighbor for ride today. He owns harleys, beamers and a datsun 300Z but when I punched it from 2nd to 3rd and slammed down on the hammer she broke loose a little. He just looked over at me shook his head, smiled and said is this a machine! LOL

Adam

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been enjoying my new 2002 rt/10 for about a month now, and I was wondering if any of you have any advice on shifting gears, as far as what rpm (or speed) to run in first before shifting to second, and so on, in order to get the fastest acceleration off the line before reaching desired speed. Thanks.

Most of my shifts are at 2000-3000 rpms however the main thing is to push it as hard without breaking the rear wheels loose! LOL
207driving_patches.gif

Adam :D

Adam he asked how to get the fastest acceleration off the line. Do you really shift at 2000 to 3000 RPMs?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not consistently, of course not! If I am just pleasure driving. But Shifting depends on whether your cruising, messing around and of course how fast your going?

Adam

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us that run our cars at the track, the rule is - shift at 5000 rpm - exceed that over time and eventually something will fail sooner than one would think. Now having said that, I have yet to see a viper motor, that was left completely stock, fail as a result of hard running at track events.
Have seen several that were modified that were turned into boat anchors.
On the street, 5000 rpm, as a shift point feels good to me !!!!

RockyTop

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are websites with calculators that tell the rpm at which you can acheive max acceleration. It pretty much boils down on the standard Viper tranny with a stock rear gear of doing every shift at 6,000-6,100 rpm.

I personally do not like to push my car to near redline every shift, particularly the 4th to 5th shift, opting instead for a shift at about 5,500.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of us that run our cars at the track, the rule is - shift at 5000 rpm - exceed that over time and eventually something will fail sooner than one would think. Now having said that, I have yet to see a viper motor, that was left completely stock, fail as a result of hard running at track events.
Have seen several that were modified that were turned into boat anchors.
On the street, 5000 rpm, as a shift point feels good to me !!!!

5000? Seems awefully low! I take mine to about 6000 when I'm pushing it! Keep it in that powerband!

RedSnakeGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i believe there is a peak rpm for the maximum hp through the RPM range, and exceeding it is as bad as not reaching it....around 54-5500 if im not mistaken...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960