"Shock-Knock" Noise Eliminator Bolt Package!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
\"Shock-Knock\" Noise Eliminator Bolt Package!

As many of you have come to find out, especially you SRT guys, the Viper is not a car free from noise. Well, in my R&D of the suspension setup on the SRT, I came upon a quite frightening discovery. One of Dodge's ingenious engineers made a mistake when they decided what bolts you use on the Viper's Shock Mounts. SOME HOW, this was never altered before release of the SRT. Oversight? Maybe. More than likely, though, a lazy part supplier or a penny-pincher was the cause.

There are two different type of bolts on the market, in regaurd to thread design. There is a "Cut thread", which is the standard bolt type. In this type, a standard shaft diameter simply has threads cut onto it, and thus the major diameter of the threads, and the shoulder that is left without threads on longer bolts have the same diameter. Secondly, there is what is called a "rolled thread". A rolled thread bolt has a thread diameter and a SHORT shoulder that is the same diameter as the thread- but the center of the bolt has a smaller diameter, usually 25% smaller. It just so happens, on the SRT-10 the shock bushings fall RIGHT ON THIS SMALLER SECTION!!! That means, that EACH shock bushing can move approx 1/4"! Add this up, and a lot of knocking can occur!

The bolt set I have for sale will eliminate this problem. It includes 8 bolts, and 8 washers- enough for all 4 shocks, upper & lower. These are an odd-ball sized bolt, Metric, in an oddball long length, in a higher than normal strength. In short; You aint gonna find these at any of your local shops! I had to special order a HUGE quantity, just to get them. I figured I would alert the Viper Club to this problem, and offer the remaining bolts out to the VCA. Price per set is 45.00, shipped to your door. This is not too much over my cost, I just want to get my money back.

Since installing, the shock noise I had in my car is GONE.

Here are some pictures that explain better than I do:
3115PICT00011-med.JPG

3115PICT0003-med.JPG

3115PICT0004-med.JPG

3115PICT0005-med.JPG

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

PS- I still need to find out if these bolts will fit the GTS/RT shock mounts. I will upate as soon as I am sure!

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

FE,

I know you started talking about the SRT, but those look like exactly the same bolts used on the Gen2s. I know the SRT uses identical control arm bushings to the Gen2. If you torque your shock bolts correctly, the bolts will be loaded purely in tension. The shear forces are taken up by the knurled faces on the shock bushing inner steel tube.

If you go to a standard 1/2" diameter bolt as a replacement when mounting Penskes, JRZ, Koni 2812, etc., there is about 1/8" of hole slop in the steel ears welded to the frame. My opinion has been that unless you torque the bolts AFTER the full weight of the car is resting on them, you will get the dreaded "ACR Koni shock rattle."

FWIW....

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

KAI- "Price per set is 45.00, shipped to your door. This is not too much over my cost, I just want to get my money back."

GTS Dean- A couple points;

-The Gen-2 may very well share in the same problem, however I dont have one handy to check. will do ASAP.

-The knurled face of the shock bushing is not always enough, as some of the SRT guys around here have found out with our crapy roads. The Gen-2 guys complain of the same type of noises- but as I said...dont have one handy to check.

-The knurled face is ONLY on the stock shocks, as far as I can tell. All aftermarkets immediatly suffer from this noise, if their shocks dont have those knurles. This reason is why the Koni ACR shocks rattle- they dont have those knurles.

-These are NOT 1/2 diameter bolts. they fit tight in the mounting ears.

-Regaurdless if you tighten the bolts at full wieght, if you bounce the car hard enough, especially while going around any kind of turn, you will dislodge the shock bushings enough to get a knock-especially on Aftermarket shocks. Been there, done that...

-Regaurdless of the knurles, if you have the problem or not, it is still a stupid design error that should be addressed... If nothing other than a gaurantee your car actually has 4 shocks in the same positions!

I would be more than happy to send out a free set to a GTS owner to check sizing and compare. Even better if it is a GTS equipped with Koni's, and has rattle.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Daniel, I have been really working on suspension tuning, and never caught this. From what I can tell, this would really add up to a good amount of slop, in the car, just as worn bushings are responsable for a car loosing much of it's new feel. These bolts are holding more than the shock, but the complete suspension. I will certainly not sell a set of coilovers without having the customer check for this. I'm going to see what size the Aldan mounts are.

Glad you caught this. Thats terrible to have things moving around like that.

Skip White

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

Skip- I have a set of Aldans right here. The collars that come with Aldans fit perfectly with these new bolts.

If you happen to run into a GTS/RT any time soon for suspension work, let me know if the bolts used are the same type as the SRT.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Somebody call for esoteric Gen 1 info?

The Gen 1 (orange) and Gen 2 (blue) shock bushing center holes measure 0.550" to 0.570" diameter, depending what angle you measure at. The serrated edged center section is not a tube, it's a rolled up piece, so it isn't round. The bolt shoulder is 0.544" which is a shade under 14mm. 14mm exactly is 0.551" diameter.

The bolt diameter between the shoulder and thread is 0.499" to 0.500" in the middle, or 92% of the shoulder diameter.

The mounting bracket on the frame is thin enough that the shoulder supports the shock bushing on one side, the thread major diameter supports the bushing on the other side.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

In my many changes of the Aldan, only today did I notice the the larger sleeve opening is a problem with the Aldan, but I believe we can have Aldan make the aluminum sleeve to fit the bolt properly. As far as the oem setup, I can't say if it's able to move about or not, I'll check it out on the next SRT I come across. It's a must to correct this on the Aldan for it doe's not have much of anything to keep it from moving around.

Glad Daniel brought this up. I somehow think the factory may have been trying to avoid a binding situation when installing the coilover in the car, I really would like to take a close look at this.

Skip White

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

KAI- "Price per set is 45.00, shipped to your door. This is not too much over my cost, I just want to get my money back."

Do you take Pay Pal? Personal checks? Mastercard?

Kai

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

Somebody call for esoteric Gen 1 info?

The Gen 1 (orange) and Gen 2 (blue) shock bushing center holes measure 0.550" to 0.570" diameter, depending what angle you measure at. The serrated edged center section is not a tube, it's a rolled up piece, so it isn't round. The bolt shoulder is 0.544" which is a shade under 14mm. 14mm exactly is 0.551" diameter.

The bolt diameter between the shoulder and thread is 0.499" to 0.500" in the middle, or 92% of the shoulder diameter.

The mounting bracket on the frame is thin enough that the shoulder supports the shock bushing on one side, the thread major diameter supports the bushing on the other side.

This may be the case in gen-1 & 2, but not Gen 3. The Upper shock mounts on all 4 corners have "spacers" built into the ears- which happen to be the exact size needed to make it fit completely on the smaller diameter. I also suspect the bolts may be different, as 92% of overall diameter for the smaller section seems extremely optimistic on these bolts. I'll have to grab a caliper and check for sure.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

In my many changes of the Aldan, only today did I notice the the larger sleeve opening is a problem with the Aldan, but I believe we can have Aldan make the aluminum sleeve to fit the bolt properly. As far as the oem setup, I can't say if it's able to move about or not, I'll check it out on the next SRT I come across. It's a must to correct this on the Aldan for it doe's not have much of anything to keep it from moving around.

Glad Daniel brought this up. I somehow think the factory may have been trying to avoid a binding situation when installing the coilover in the car, I really would like to take a close look at this.

Skip White

note; the sleeves are all steel.

I had actually already thought of having new bushings made up. Unfortunatly, with a rolled thread bolt, there is no way to slide the new bushing over the larger threads on the end of the bolt to accomodate the smaller middle section.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

Do you take Pay Pal? Personal checks? Mastercard?

Kai

All of the above. PayPal at address below, e-mail for address to use a check, or give me a ring to pay by MC.

ACR Jim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re:

Daniel,

If you still need a ACR owner to test for you I can do that. I have a '99 ACR with the original Koni's.

Jim

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re:

ACR Jim- I am currently working with Frank Lee, a 2000 GTS-ACR owner. If the deal falls through, I will contact you directly. Thanks for the offer though!