Shocks Upgrade for GEN 1 question

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know for sure if the GEN 3 shocks would fit a GEN 1 Viper? Are the GEN 3 shocks adjustable and do you think it would be a good idea to install them on a GEN 1 (assuming that is possible)?

Thank you all for your input.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will not. Easiest example is the Gen 2,3 rear shocks have a fork that straddles the half shaft, the Gen 1 shocks were offset and attached ahead of the halfshaft. Gen 2 fronts are 1" shorter than Gen 1.

Gen 1 and 2 are adjustable for rebound when you take the spring off and compress them. Lotta work, need a spring compressor, but can make a noticeable difference.

OP
OP
V

V10Nationals.com

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tom and Dave thank you both for your answers. So now here is the next logical question:

What would be the most cost effective way to upgrade the shocks to my GEN 1?

I would imagine that adjustable shocks would be best for the track. I’ve seen Koni shocks in the classifieds but now I would think that I would have to first check if they would fit a GEN 1 before I even think about buying them.

Any tips and comments are greatly appreciated!

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
check out the Carrera Shocks. I never could find a set of shocks that would work with my GEN 1 racer. i routenly sent my Koni's in for revalving.

Larry Macedo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately Gen III Shocks will not fit a Gen I, Steve. The Gen II and Gen III suspensions are completely different from the Gen I.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
give Cory at snakeoyl a call he as a suspension upgrade kit for Gen1's. Not cheap but will improve the car considerably

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
give Cory at snakeoyl a call he as a suspension upgrade kit for Gen1's. Not cheap but will improve the car considerably

Hey Dan,
Can't the Gen I guys just bolt up a set of blue Gen II shocks? That would help somewhat, correct?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine